Intranet security should based on Active Directory or Database

Patirck Ige

Would it be easier to have an intranetsystem built based on some
security gruopson Active directory or having to use a Database to have a
validation store and Roles.
Which way would be the best to go?

Guest

Well, I've used both approaches, and the AD route seems easier to code to me,
and I guess you have to ask yourself the question: why reinvent the wheel?

:)

Damien

Patirck said:
Would it be easier to have an intranetsystem built based on some
security gruopson Active directory or having to use a Database to have a
validation store and Roles.
Which way would be the best to go?

My preference, whenever possible, is to use Active Directory - if it
will meet your needs (e.g. No new types of permissions are needed) -
your Infrastructure people are already familiar with the tools they
need to manage the groups, add new users, etc, whereas with a database
you either need infrastructure people who can directly fiddle the
database or need to provide new tools for them to manage it.

Damien

Patirck Ige

I taught as much that Active Directory would be much more easier to use and
i have used the Active directory before in such scenarios
but our Database Admin design is to import all the security groups from
Active directory to the database then use stored procedures to
re shape it and re create roles etc.. from it.Which mean anytime time the
Active Directory changes he has to re- import and stuff

Guest

dhnriverside,
Thanks for the reply.
How did you store the AD groups and how did you use the groups to validate
users in your code.I don't want to hardcode the GROUPS/ROLES in my codebehind
or page.I know i can perform authorisation in web.config baed on the page or
folders.
For example if i want to generate a menus structure based on who is logged
in etc..
Any ideas.
Patrick