Invalid viewstate error on one PC

Rod

We've got a ASP.NET 1.1 application on a Windows 2000 Server. (It has the
latest service pack for .NET 1.1.) I've got a user who, when running the
ASP.NET application gets the following error message:

"Unable to validate data

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Unable to validate data

Stack Trace:
[HttpException (0x80004005): Unable to validate data.]
System.Web.HttpException.Configuration.MachineKey.GetDecodedData(Byte[]
buf, Byte[] modifier, Int32 start,
Int32 length, Int32& dataLength...)

...."

there are other items here about a cluster, but we do not have a clustered
environment.

The strangest thing about all of this is that the problem is localized to
just one PC. If the same user goes to any other PC in-house, and logs on as
herself, she can run the application just fine. And, if anyone goes to her
PC and logs into the ASP.NET application, it does NOT work for them, either.

What could the problem be?

The IIS server is: Windows 2000 Server, with the latest service pack for
2000 and the latest service pack for .NET Framework 1.1.

The user's PC is a Windows XP Professional machine with SP2.

Rod

Alvin Bruney [MVP - ASP.NET]

copy the machine configuration key from another machine to the problem
machine, or randomly generate a key and add to the problem machine. that
should fix it.

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney - ASP.NET MVP

[Shameless Author Plug]
Now available @ www.lulu.com/owc, Amazon.com etc

Joined
Nov 14, 2006
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Machine configuration key?

Hi,

I am experiencing exactly the same problem, but do not know too much about machine settings. Can someone please explain to me where can I find and change the machine configuration key? (as basic as possible, please)

Thanks,

Claudine

Joined
Nov 14, 2006
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I don't want to sound stupid, but I don't know a lot about servers. How can I change the machine key value on the server?

I am experiencing the same error. I have developed an ASP.NET web appication for a company and only ONE pc in the company is experiencing that error (also sporadically). I have never come accross this error from my local pc. I also haven't edited any machine keys (I don't even know what that is) so why would only one PC have that problem? I am also not using Server.Transfer, I am using Response.Redirect. I cannot disable the ViewState because this would cause my application not to work. This is becoming very urgent for me to solve.

Can anyone please give me (easy to understand) advice on what I should do? Should I do something specific on the problem PC?

Thanks a lot!