viewstate invalid using UpdatePanel

tynorton

Hey,

I've been working on this issue for a while now, with no leads or
success.

The scenario is a homemade modal dialog using UpdatePanels. There a
couple ImageButtons inside of usercontrols with their OnClick events
delegated to file.aspx.

Here is my error (These happen fairly infrequently, say, 5-10 times an
hour on a site that gets 50-80k on an average day):

SERVERNAME02A,SiteName,3/27/2007 7:12:00 AM,/file.aspx,Invalid
viewstate.
Client IP: xx.xx.xx.xx
Port: 45832

We have a server farm using NLB, and have modified our machineKeys to
match, this is not the problem as far as I can tell.

I've attempted to disable viewstate to no avail.

Using a viewstate decoder, I noticed the 'bad' viewstates are
submitting an ArrayList of ints... I don't know why.

The above viewstate in the error translates to this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>
<viewstate>
<ArrayList>
<Int32>71185616</Int32>
<Int32>-753251614</Int32>
<Int32>915909835</Int32>
<Int32>1698182509</Int32>
<Int32>1697985901</Int32>
<Int32>-710536411</Int32>
<Int32>76432080</Int32>
<Int32>560606433</Int32>
</ArrayList>
</viewstate>

Somewhere, somehow, the viewstate is becoming corrupted and is
creating an ArrayList of ints, we have been unable to repro without
submitting the bad viewstate from the logs directly back to file.aspx
manually.

This is the error I get when manually posting the error back to
file.aspx:

Source Error:

[No relevant source lines]

Source File: c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary
ASP.NET Files\root\f44720c4\fa913f4b
\App_Web_mypayscale.aspx.cdcab7d2.lj45eshy.0.cs Line: 0

Stack Trace:

[InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type
'System.Collections.ArrayList' to type 'System.Web.UI.Pair'.]
System.Web.UI.HiddenFieldPageStatePersister.Load() +168

[ViewStateException: Invalid viewstate.
Client IP: 10.0.0.152
Port: 1875

[HttpException (0x80004005): The state information is invalid for this
page and might be corrupted.]
System.Web.UI.ViewStateException.ThrowError(Exception inner, String
persistedState, String errorPageMessage, Boolean macValidationError)
+116
System.Web.UI.HiddenFieldPageStatePersister.Load() +240
System.Web.UI.Page.LoadPageStateFromPersistenceMedium() +83
System.Web.UI.Page.LoadAllState() +35
+6978
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean
+213
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest() +86
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestWithNoAssert(HttpContext context)
+18
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) +49
ASP.mypayscale_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) in c:
\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files
\root\f44720c4\fa913f4b\App_Web_mypayscale.aspx.cdcab7d2.lj45eshy.0.cs:
0

System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
+584
System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step,
Boolean& completedSynchronously) +64

I am seriously at a loss here.

Any help, input, ideas, or solutions are welcome.

Thanks,

-Ty