Validation of viewstate MAC failed. If this application is hosted by a Web Farm or cluster, ensure t

Dhruba Bandopadhyay

Validation of viewstate MAC failed. If this application is hosted by a Web
Farm or cluster, ensure that <machineKey> configuration specifies the same
validationKey and validation algorithm. AutoGenerate cannot be used in a
cluster.

The above message is what I get in my ASP.NET 2.0 page. I have debugging
turned on and for those who want to see the stack trace, see below.

In my old web site I had a frame set with a ASP page in left frame and
ASP.NET 2.0 page in right frame. It was working perfectly.

Then I changed the frame set into IFRAMEs (well actually using
floating/draggable/resizable IFRAMEs from http://blogus.xilinus.com/ ). Now
I get the above error message when I try to load up my ASP.NET 2.0 page
within a IFRAME created by http://blogus.xilinus.com/. ASP pages are fine.

Stack Trace:
[CryptographicException: Length of the data to decrypt is invalid.]
System.Security.Cryptography.RijndaelManagedTransform.TransformFinalBlock(Byte[]
inputBuffer, Int32 inputOffset, Int32 inputCount) +1493410
System.Security.Cryptography.CryptoStream.FlushFinalBlock() +30
System.Web.Configuration.MachineKeySection.EncryptOrDecryptData(Boolean
fEncrypt, Byte[] buf, Byte[] modifier, Int32 start, Int32 length, Boolean
useValidationSymAlgo) +154
System.Web.Configuration.MachineKeySection.GetDecodedData(Byte[] buf,
Byte[] modifier, Int32 start, Int32 length, Int32& dataLength) +119
System.Web.UI.ObjectStateFormatter.Deserialize(String inputString) +214

[ViewStateException: Invalid viewstate.
Client IP: 127.0.0.1
Port: 4945

[HttpException (0x80004005): Validation of viewstate MAC failed. If this
application is hosted by a Web Farm or cluster, ensure that <machineKey>
configuration specifies the same validationKey and validation algorithm.
AutoGenerate cannot be used in a cluster.]
System.Web.UI.ViewStateException.ThrowError(Exception inner, String
persistedState, String errorPageMessage, Boolean macValidationError) +116
System.Web.UI.ObjectStateFormatter.Deserialize(String inputString) +251
System.Web.UI.ObjectStateFormatter.System.Web.UI.IStateFormatter.Deserialize(String
serializedState) +4
System.Web.UI.Util.DeserializeWithAssert(IStateFormatter formatter,
String serializedState) +37
System.Web.UI.HiddenFieldPageStatePersister.Load() +220
System.Web.UI.Page.LoadPageStateFromPersistenceMedium() +83
System.Web.UI.Page.LoadAllState() +35
includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +6953
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint,
Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +154
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest() +86
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestWithNoAssert(HttpContext context) +18
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) +49
ASP.record_optimiser_asp_optimiseropen_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext
context) +29
System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
+154
completedSynchronously) +64

Alvin Bruney

See if this document helps. though i suspect you need to take this issue up
with the third party frames provider you listed.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555353

--

Warm regards,

[Shameless Author plug]