    Regards,

    --
    -mark. (probertm @ acm dot org)

    Mark Probert, Sep 20, 2004

  2. Mark Probert

    Kirk Haines Guest

    On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 03:54:40 +0900, Mark Probert wrote
    > Hi, all.
    >
    > Any ideas on what the following IOWA error may mean?
    >
    > concurrent session access for #
    > /usr/local/ruby/site_ruby/iowa/Session.rb:85:in 'handleRequest'

    Yep.

    It means that the application already has a thread that is still running
    handling a prior request for that session. My in-development version
    doesn't fail on this condition, but instead just lets the new thread block
    while waiting for access to the session.

    This is a mixed blessing, and I am thinking of making this behavior
    configurable. The error typically happens either because there was an
    intentional action, either someone clicking multiple times too quickly on a
    link or a button, or because you are intentionally firing off requests
    quickly via some client-side code (i.e. I have an app for doing file
    downloads that triggers multiple IOWA actions on a single click), or it
    happens because you have an error in some piece of your ruby code that is
    keeping it from returning in a reasonable amount of time.

    In the case of an error, it's probably better to get the concurrent session
    access message than for everything to just silently block. However, in the
    case of a benign or intentional seuqence of requests that simply came in on
    a single session too fast, it's a good thing if they wait quietly for their
    shot at the session.

    Mark, if you want it, I can send you a replacement Session.rb from the in-
    development codebase that simply logs the session collision and then blocks
    the thread until it can get access to the session instead of throwing an
    error. Just email me privately.

    Thanks,

    Kirk Haines

    Kirk Haines, Sep 20, 2004