IPC, buffering, and Win32

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by perl coder, Apr 12, 2004.

  1. perl coder

    perl coder Guest

    I'm trying to run an external program in Windows (with ActivePerl),
    using the piped-open method:

    open (PIPE, $cmd_line);
    while (<PIPE>) {
    # process data
    }

    All is well and good when my code is run from a shell window, but when I
    make a shell-less version (it's a Perl/Tk program compiled with the -gui
    argument in perlapp), the data becomes buffered, and that really cramps
    my style. :-(

    I know that you can trick a program to believe it's running on a
    terminal using IO::pty or Expect, but there doesn't seem to be a PPM for
    those modules in ActivePerl 5.8! At least I don't see anything at
    http://ppm.activestate.com/PPMPackages/zips/8xx-builds-only/Windows/
    even though there seems to be compiled versions for Perl 5.6...

    Did Perl 5.8 break those modules, or did they forget to compile them, or
    are they available somewhere else?

    --
    No crazy stuff in my email. ;-)

    perl coder, Apr 12, 2004