    with the Boost mailing list anyway.

    ::A::
    Abecedarian, May 8, 2005

  2. Abecedarian

    Ron Natalie Guest

    Abecedarian wrote:
    > Currently postings are delayed for days. IMO, comp.lang.c++.moderated
    > and comp.lang.c++ should merge. It makes no sense any more to have a
    > group for gurus and "gurus" on the one hand and "the rest" on the other
    > hand. C++ is on the decline and it's better to concentrate troops.
    > People with an experimental, "academic" approach to C++ are better off
    > with the Boost mailing list anyway.

    There's no "guru-ness" involved. The moderation decreases the
    off-topic drek rather than commenting on the validity of the responses.
    Topical wrong answers go through moderation just fine. Your assumption
    that the moderated group is some level of elitism is unfounded. It's
    a group that people can read without having to wade through 300 messages
    in the unmoderated group of people asking about how to get Windows
    system calls to work.

    The rest of your post is pure drivel. C++ is not in decline (and
    neither the newsgroup or the language itself requires cooperative
    assistance). Your last sentence makes no sense. BOOST list is
    for boost issues.
    Ron Natalie, May 8, 2005

  3. "Ron Natalie" <> wrote in message
    > Abecedarian wrote:
    > > Currently postings are delayed for days. IMO, comp.lang.c++.moderated
    > > and comp.lang.c++ should merge. It makes no sense any more to have a
    > > group for gurus and "gurus" on the one hand and "the rest" on the other
    > > hand. C++ is on the decline and it's better to concentrate troops.
    > > People with an experimental, "academic" approach to C++ are better off
    > > with the Boost mailing list anyway.
    > >

    > There's no "guru-ness" involved. The moderation decreases the
    > off-topic drek rather than commenting on the validity of the responses.
    > Topical wrong answers go through moderation just fine. Your assumption
    > that the moderated group is some level of elitism is unfounded. It's
    > a group that people can read without having to wade through 300 messages
    > in the unmoderated group of people asking about how to get Windows
    > system calls to work.

    While most of what you say is correct (eliminating OT posts) there is a
    slight sense of elitism in the moderated group when the moderator cancels a
    post that he/she deems to be "offensive" in some way. I think some
    moderators perform a kind of censorship that is inappropriate. However, I
    don't have to use the ng since there are others -- and I just try to get
    past the OT crap as quickly as possible. Sometimes it makes fun reading,
    when I have time.

    > The rest of your post is pure drivel. C++ is not in decline (and
    > neither the newsgroup or the language itself requires cooperative
    > assistance). Your last sentence makes no sense. BOOST list is
    > for boost issues.

    I agree with this.
    --
    Gary
    Gary Labowitz, May 8, 2005
  4. Abecedarian

    Ron Natalie Guest

    Gary Labowitz wrote:

    > While most of what you say is correct (eliminating OT posts) there is a
    > slight sense of elitism in the moderated group when the moderator cancels a
    > post that he/she deems to be "offensive" in some way.

    I guess it's a sign of the times when common coutesty is described as
    elitism.
    Ron Natalie, May 8, 2005
  5. Abecedarian schrieb:
    > Currently postings are delayed for days.

    moderation usually takes place once to twice a day. and I think it has a
    positive effect on discussions.

    IMO, comp.lang.c++.moderated
    > and comp.lang.c++ should merge. It makes no sense any more to have a
    > group for gurus and "gurus" on the one hand and "the rest" on the other
    > hand. C++ is on the decline and it's better to concentrate troops.
    > People with an experimental, "academic" approach to C++ are better off
    > with the Boost mailing list anyway.
    >
    > ::A::

    there are many interesting threads which start out as newbie questions.
    which go through moderation even if they had been answered before.
    (rest has been answered very well by ron natalie)
    Stefan Strasser, May 8, 2005
  6. Abecedarian

    Kristo Guest

    Stefan Strasser wrote:
    > Abecedarian schrieb:
    > > Currently postings are delayed for days.

    > moderation usually takes place once to twice a day. and I think it
    > has a positive effect on discussions.

    I disagree. I read clc++.moderated for a while and soon switched over
    here. The problem with the moderated group is that you will often see
    15 of the same replies to a question (i.e., 15 different people will
    say the same thing). Person #1 will post a reply, as will persons
    #2-15 because #1's post had not passed moderation yet. Furthermore, I
    don't find the signal-to-noise ratio on clc++ to be that bad. Your
    newsreader's filter/plonk bin/whatever can take care of the OT and
    offensive stuff. IMHO, the duplicate answers on clc++.moderated are a
    bigger annoyance than the occasional troll on clc++.

    Kristo
    Kristo, May 9, 2005