Is comp.lang.c++.moderated dead?

Abecedarian

Currently postings are delayed for days. IMO, comp.lang.c++.moderated
and comp.lang.c++ should merge. It makes no sense any more to have a
group for gurus and "gurus" on the one hand and "the rest" on the other
hand. C++ is on the decline and it's better to concentrate troops.
People with an experimental, "academic" approach to C++ are better off
with the Boost mailing list anyway.

::A::

Ron Natalie

Abecedarian said:
Currently postings are delayed for days. IMO, comp.lang.c++.moderated
and comp.lang.c++ should merge. It makes no sense any more to have a
group for gurus and "gurus" on the one hand and "the rest" on the other
hand. C++ is on the decline and it's better to concentrate troops.
People with an experimental, "academic" approach to C++ are better off
with the Boost mailing list anyway.
There's no "guru-ness" involved. The moderation decreases the
off-topic drek rather than commenting on the validity of the responses.
Topical wrong answers go through moderation just fine. Your assumption
that the moderated group is some level of elitism is unfounded. It's
a group that people can read without having to wade through 300 messages
in the unmoderated group of people asking about how to get Windows
system calls to work.

The rest of your post is pure drivel. C++ is not in decline (and
neither the newsgroup or the language itself requires cooperative
assistance). Your last sentence makes no sense. BOOST list is
for boost issues.

Gary Labowitz

Ron Natalie said:
There's no "guru-ness" involved. The moderation decreases the
off-topic drek rather than commenting on the validity of the responses.
Topical wrong answers go through moderation just fine. Your assumption
that the moderated group is some level of elitism is unfounded. It's
a group that people can read without having to wade through 300 messages
in the unmoderated group of people asking about how to get Windows
system calls to work.

While most of what you say is correct (eliminating OT posts) there is a
slight sense of elitism in the moderated group when the moderator cancels a
post that he/she deems to be "offensive" in some way. I think some
moderators perform a kind of censorship that is inappropriate. However, I
don't have to use the ng since there are others -- and I just try to get
past the OT crap as quickly as possible. Sometimes it makes fun reading,
when I have time.
The rest of your post is pure drivel. C++ is not in decline (and
neither the newsgroup or the language itself requires cooperative
assistance). Your last sentence makes no sense. BOOST list is
for boost issues.

I agree with this.

Ron Natalie

Gary said:
While most of what you say is correct (eliminating OT posts) there is a
slight sense of elitism in the moderated group when the moderator cancels a
post that he/she deems to be "offensive" in some way.

I guess it's a sign of the times when common coutesty is described as
elitism.

Stefan Strasser

Abecedarian said:
Currently postings are delayed for days.

moderation usually takes place once to twice a day. and I think it has a
positive effect on discussions.

IMO, comp.lang.c++.moderated
and comp.lang.c++ should merge. It makes no sense any more to have a
group for gurus and "gurus" on the one hand and "the rest" on the other
hand. C++ is on the decline and it's better to concentrate troops.
People with an experimental, "academic" approach to C++ are better off
with the Boost mailing list anyway.

::A::

there are many interesting threads which start out as newbie questions.
which go through moderation even if they had been answered before.
(rest has been answered very well by ron natalie)

Kristo

Stefan said:
moderation usually takes place once to twice a day. and I think it
has a positive effect on discussions.

I disagree. I read clc++.moderated for a while and soon switched over
here. The problem with the moderated group is that you will often see
15 of the same replies to a question (i.e., 15 different people will
say the same thing). Person #1 will post a reply, as will persons
#2-15 because #1's post had not passed moderation yet. Furthermore, I
don't find the signal-to-noise ratio on clc++ to be that bad. Your
newsreader's filter/plonk bin/whatever can take care of the OT and
offensive stuff. IMHO, the duplicate answers on clc++.moderated are a
bigger annoyance than the occasional troll on clc++.

Kristo