Is it possible for a hyperlink to call TWO URLs?

Chris Ianson

Blinky the Shark said:
Who are you talking to? Quote. Attribute.

Yes, I know I can derive that from headers. I should not have to.

Get a proper newsreader like Outlook Express ;)

I was referring to Neredbojias, but I mistyped his name :p

Blinky the Shark

Chris said:
Get a proper newsreader like Outlook Express ;)

The five news clients I use and/or am fluent with are all far more proper
than Outlook Express. The issue is proper quoting and attributing, not
news client selection.

Neredbojias

The five news clients I use and/or am fluent with are all far more proper
than Outlook Express. The issue is proper quoting and attributing, not
news client selection.

Are you fluent in Thunderbird? Is there a way to include the email
address of the repliee (such as not "Joe Blow wrote:" but "Joe Blow

Edwin van der Vaart

Neredbojias said:
Are you fluent in Thunderbird? Is there a way to include the email
address of the repliee (such as not "Joe Blow wrote:" but "Joe Blow
<[email protected]> wrote:"?
What do you mean.
--
Edwin van der Vaart
http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Persoonlijke website

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
Are you fluent in Thunderbird? Is there a way to include the email
address of the repliee (such as not "Joe Blow wrote:" but "Joe Blow
<[email protected]> wrote:"?

I don't think so. This is how you structure your attributions (manually;
this isn't in the GUI), but I see no variable that represents the
attributee's email address:

http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/tips#beh_replyheader

Compare this to, say, Xnews, which has this GUI config section for
customizing attributions:

http://blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/xnews_attrib.jpg

There, you'd just insert the variable %e into the language you wanted to
use.

Similarly, Pan (which I am using) offers simple and comprehensive
GUI configuration of attribution here here:

http://blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/pan_attrib.jpg

When you hover your cursor over the entry box, a tooltip pops up showing
the other variables, one of which is %a for author and address.

I'm not a fan of Thunderbird, although I recommend it over OE. My
preferences are Xnews for Windows and slrn and Pan for *n*x.

Neredbojias

Blinky said:
[...]

Okay, very much thanks, that helped immensely. Gravity's "attribution"
is set virtually the same as Xnew's. I suspect that I'll be checking
Xnews out one of these days soon. As with browsers, though, I bet I'll
never find one I like perfectly.

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
Okay, very much thanks, that helped immensely. Gravity's "attribution"
is

You're welcome. (Or "your welcome" in netspeak.)
set virtually the same as Xnew's. I suspect that I'll be checking Xnews
out one of these days soon. As with browsers, though, I bet I'll never
find one I like perfectly.

Xnews has some converts in the alt.html/alt.www.webmaster posse. Best
support (not limited to Xnews) is the wizards that hang out in the
small-but-focused news.software.readers froup. Feel free to drop my name.

Jonathan N. Little

Neredbojias said:
Okay, very much thanks, that helped immensely. Gravity's "attribution"
is set virtually the same as Xnew's. I suspect that I'll be checking
Xnews out one of these days soon. As with browsers, though, I bet I'll
never find one I like perfectly.

Did you check for an extension? The beauty of FF/TB is that they are
almost à la carte apps. Add what you need and no more...I know there was
once to display the little PNG avatar thingy or whatever you call it,
I'm not a chat|AIM person

Blinky the Shark

Jonathan said:
Did you check for an extension? The beauty of FF/TB is that they are
almost à la carte apps. Add what you need and no more...I know there was
once to display the little PNG avatar thingy or whatever you call it, I'm
not a chat|AIM person

Would that have been the display of an X-Face header? If so, gajillions
of non-chatters use them in netnews, and have for years. :)

Jonathan N. Little

Blinky said:
Jonathan N. Little wrote:

Would that have been the display of an X-Face header? If so, gajillions
of non-chatters use them in netnews, and have for years. :)
I guess so. Somehow I've managed with my ignorance ;-)

Blinky the Shark

Jonathan said:
I guess so. Somehow I've managed with my ignorance ;-)

Well, you seemed to think they were only popular in chat. Just trying to
provide a little information about them: that they're not.

Neredbojias

I don't think so. This is how you structure your attributions
You're welcome. (Or "your welcome" in netspeak.)

Xnews has some converts in the alt.html/alt.www.webmaster posse. Best
support (not limited to Xnews) is the wizards that hang out in the
small-but-focused news.software.readers froup. Feel free to drop my name.

Yep, I'll probably try it soon. I tried the edits; user.js was a dismal
failure. Then naturally I tried hacking the main file. The attribution
did nothing but some non-related changes "took" okay.

Thanks again for the help.

--
Neredbojias

I knew a man that I did not care for,
And then one day this man gave me a call.
We sat and talked about things on our minds
Until I said, "Just kiss my damn behind!"

Neredbojias

Jonathan said:
Did you check for an extension? The beauty of FF/TB is that they are
almost à la carte apps. Add what you need and no more...I know there was
once to display the little PNG avatar thingy or whatever you call it,
I'm not a chat|AIM person

No, but I will. You'd think there'd be *something* that'd allow an
optional attribution...

(Btw, what's tuberculosis got to do with it?)

:)

--
Neredbojias,
"A Tower of Power and weekend bow-wower."

Unfortunately, when you get older the wolf within
tends to go to the dogs.

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
Yep, I'll probably try it soon. I tried the edits; user.js was a dismal
failure. Then naturally I tried hacking the main file. The attribution

Uh...I mentioned when I linked that page that there was nothing there
indicating that there was an email address variable. I posted that link
as a how-you-can't, not a how-to. :)
did nothing but some non-related changes "took" okay.

Thanks again for the help.

YW.

Neredbojias

Blinky said:
Uh...I mentioned when I linked that page that there was nothing there
indicating that there was an email address variable. I posted that link
as a how-you-can't, not a how-to. :)

Yes, sure. I wasn't trying that, just some of the documented changes.
'Twas a no-go, though.