Is it possible not to have the navigator chrome on a Web page/site ?

Oriane

Hi there,

I would like to create a "one page" Asp.Net site which resembles a Vista
gadget. That is: nothing is visible but the content on IE7 (it doesn't
matter if the solution does not work on Vista): no title, no URL, no menu on
the browser, only a "Close" button.

Do you have any solution ?

At least, is it possible to constraint the app in order that the web user
could not resize the browser windowd ?

Cheers

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

I imagine you can start up a web app in IE in minimal mode, if that is your
desire. I am not sure of the command line for the shortcut, but it should
not be that difficult. I know there are a lot of flags you can set on
iexplore.exe.

You can also spin off the application in that mode from another web page
(intranet?), if that will work. That is a bit easier, as the window.open()
call, in JavaScript, is well documented.

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Oriane,

It seems you want to open the web browser windows in a customized model. As
far as I know, the window.open javascript function can help open a browser
window with some properties(such as title bar, control bar...) customized.
For example:

function open_win()
{
window.open("http://www.w3schools.com","_blank","toolbar=yes, location=yes,
directories=no, status=no, menubar=yes, scrollbars=yes, resizable=no,
copyhistory=yes, width=400, height=400");
}

Here is web article which also mentioned some good examples:

#Open a new window and control its appearance
http://www.java2s.com/Code/JavaScript/Window-Browser/Openanewwindowandcontro
litsappearance.htm

BTW, such client script functions cannot provide as powerful control as a
standard winform application since the permission is quite limited on
browser client.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).

ications.

--------------------

Oriane

Hi Steven,
Steven Cheng said:
Hi Oriane,

It seems you want to open the web browser windows in a customized model.
As
far as I know, the window.open javascript function can help open a browser
window with some properties(such as title bar, control bar...) customized.
Thanks for the link. I've tried that but there is one withdrawal I can't
explain. I make use of Ajax server pop up extender, and they don't behave as
they should in the window opened with the "open" Javascript function, which
makes this solution not relevant...

Oriane

Oriane

Hi Patrice,
Patrice said:
JavaScript windows.open ? Is this fo spoofing ;-) This is the kind of
thing I would opuble check as it can become quite annoying.

What is the overlal goal ?
Mimic an Vista gadget on XP. As far as I know, Vista gadget are much more
user friendly to show "one-page web sites" page than a browser. I'm in
charge of developing a sort of remote control on the Web, that is a small
panel page with a few buttons (on/off +/-), and the result on IE is that the
chrome is larger that the content.

Oriane

Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer) said:
I imagine you can start up a web app in IE in minimal mode, if that is your
desire. I am not sure of the command line for the shortcut, but it should
not be that difficult. I know there are a lot of flags you can set on
iexplore.exe.
I didn't find anything about the "minimal mode" of IE on Google. There are a
few flags to start IE but none of them prevent the chrome to be shown.

Cheers

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

You will probably have to open IE, open another window and then close the
parent window.

Another option is to wrap the IE bits in your own .NET application and serve
it that way. It is "cheating" perhaps, but it should work.

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Thanks for your reply Oriane,

The ajax popup box are not real dialog. They're simulate in the same page
via some dynamically created div /layer. For your scenario, I think the
existing web page programming interface is quite limited to implement all
the effects. Where would your web application run at, a internet
envrionment or in an intranet local domain? For intranet scenario, maybe a
rich client approach would be better since they can give you more control
over the client machine.

Subject: Re: Is it possible not to have the navigator chrome on a Web page/site ?
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 09:41:43 +0200
Hi Steven,
de news:[email protected]...

Steven Cheng said:
Thanks for your reply Oriane,

The ajax popup box are not real dialog. They're simulate in the same page
via some dynamically created div /layer. For your scenario, I think the
existing web page programming interface is quite limited to implement all
the effects. Where would your web application run at, a internet
envrionment or in an intranet local domain? Intranet.
For intranet scenario, maybe a
rich client approach would be better since they can give you more control
over the client machine.
Yes...but no. We don't want the user to install anything on the machine. It
has to be a light client :-(

Oriane

Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer) said:
You will probably have to open IE, open another window and then close the
parent window.

Another option is to wrap the IE bits in your own .NET application and
serve it that way. It is "cheating" perhaps, but it should work.
If I could use .NET, it would be much simpler !!

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Thanks for your followup Oriane,

That does be quite a difficult problem. Silverlight will be the minimal
rich client solution available. And if zero-deployment is hard rule, so far
I think using ajax to do the status polling would be the best solution.

Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 09:38:44 +0200
"Steven Cheng [MSFT]" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message
de news:eek:[email protected]...
Thanks for your reply Oriane,

The ajax popup box are not real dialog. They're simulate in the same page
via some dynamically created div /layer. For your scenario, I think the
existing web page programming interface is quite limited to implement all
the effects. Where would your web application run at, a internet
envrionment or in an intranet local domain? Intranet.
For intranet scenario, maybe a
rich client approach would be better since they can give you more control
over the client machine.
Yes...but no. We don't want the user to install anything on the machine. It
has to be a light client :-(

Registered User

Yes...but no. We don't want the user to install anything on the machine. It
has to be a light client :-(

The "yes ...but no" tells me you're hosed. The requirement for the
client application to have a specialized UI around its browser control
describes a custom client. This contradicts the requirement that no
custom client is to be installed. Now the task is to figure out how to
make a generic browser application (not the web app) behave as if it
were a Vista widget.

In a Vista world a similar task would be to run a Vista widget on a
Vista machine without installing the widget.

regards
A.G.

clintonG

IE can be toggled in and out of kiosk mode using F11 leaving only the x
closer button as I recall but we can develop "windows" with absolutely no
chrome using WPF or Silverlight.

Author

You will probably have to open IE, open another window and then close the
parent window.

Another option is to wrap the IE bits in your own .NET application and serve
it that way. It is "cheating" perhaps, but it should work.

| Think outside the box!                               |

But, one can still easily get the URL of that page although it is not
explicitly displayed since the address bar is gone. And now that I
have the URL, I can simply paste it into the address bar of the parent
browser window. Then the popup browser without any menu items or
control buttons is hence defeated.