    At least, is it possible to constraint the app in order that the web user
    could not resize the browser windowd ?

    Cheers
    Oriane, Jul 7, 2008

  2. I imagine you can start up a web app in IE in minimal mode, if that is your
    desire. I am not sure of the command line for the shortcut, but it should
    not be that difficult. I know there are a lot of flags you can set on
    iexplore.exe.

    You can also spin off the application in that mode from another web page
    (intranet?), if that will work. That is a bit easier, as the window.open()
    call, in JavaScript, is well documented.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Subscribe to my blog

    or just read it:
    http://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com/

    | Think outside the box! |

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Jul 7, 2008

  3. Hi Oriane,

    It seems you want to open the web browser windows in a customized model. As
    far as I know, the window.open javascript function can help open a browser
    window with some properties(such as title bar, control bar...) customized.
    For example:

    function open_win()
    {
    window.open("http://www.w3schools.com","_blank","toolbar=yes, location=yes,
    directories=no, status=no, menubar=yes, scrollbars=yes, resizable=no,
    copyhistory=yes, width=400, height=400");
    }

    Here is web article which also mentioned some good examples:

    #Open a new window and control its appearance
    http://www.java2s.com/Code/JavaScript/Window-Browser/Openanewwindowandcontro
    litsappearance.htm

    BTW, such client script functions cannot provide as powerful control as a
    standard winform application since the permission is quite limited on
    browser client.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    .

    ications.

    --------------------
    >From: "Oriane" <>
    >Subject: Is it possible not to have the navigator chrome on a Web

    page/site ?

    Steven Cheng [MSFT], Jul 8, 2008
  4. Oriane

    Oriane Guest

    Hi Steven,
    "Steven Cheng [MSFT]" <> a écrit dans le message
    de news:...
    > Hi Oriane,
    >
    > It seems you want to open the web browser windows in a customized model.
    > As
    > far as I know, the window.open javascript function can help open a browser
    > window with some properties(such as title bar, control bar...) customized.

    Thanks for the link. I've tried that but there is one withdrawal I can't
    explain. I make use of Ajax server pop up extender, and they don't behave as
    they should in the window opened with the "open" Javascript function, which
    makes this solution not relevant...

    Oriane
    Oriane, Jul 8, 2008
  5. Oriane

    Oriane Guest

    Hi Patrice,
    "Patrice" <http://www.chez.com/scribe/> a écrit dans le message de
    > JavaScript windows.open ? Is this fo spoofing ;-) This is the kind of
    > thing I would opuble check as it can become quite annoying.
    >
    > What is the overlal goal ?

    Mimic an Vista gadget on XP. As far as I know, Vista gadget are much more
    user friendly to show "one-page web sites" page than a browser. I'm in
    charge of developing a sort of remote control on the Web, that is a small
    panel page with a few buttons (on/off +/-), and the result on IE is that the
    chrome is larger that the content.
    Oriane, Jul 8, 2008
  6. Oriane

    Oriane Guest

    "Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer)" <> a écrit
    dans le message de news:...
    >I imagine you can start up a web app in IE in minimal mode, if that is your
    >desire. I am not sure of the command line for the shortcut, but it should
    >not be that difficult. I know there are a lot of flags you can set on
    >iexplore.exe.

    I didn't find anything about the "minimal mode" of IE on Google. There are a
    few flags to start IE but none of them prevent the chrome to be shown.

    Cheers
    Oriane, Jul 8, 2008
  7. You will probably have to open IE, open another window and then close the
    parent window.

    Another option is to wrap the IE bits in your own .NET application and serve
    it that way. It is "cheating" perhaps, but it should work.

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Jul 8, 2008
  8. Thanks for your reply Oriane,

    The ajax popup box are not real dialog. They're simulate in the same page
    via some dynamically created div /layer. For your scenario, I think the
    existing web page programming interface is quite limited to implement all
    the effects. Where would your web application run at, a internet
    envrionment or in an intranet local domain? For intranet scenario, maybe a
    rich client approach would be better since they can give you more control
    over the client machine.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    .

    ications.

    --------------------
    >From: "Oriane" <>

    <>
    >Subject: Re: Is it possible not to have the navigator chrome on a Web

    page/site ?

    Steven Cheng [MSFT], Jul 9, 2008
  9. Oriane

    Oriane Guest

    "Steven Cheng [MSFT]" <> a écrit dans le message
    de news:eek:...
    > Thanks for your reply Oriane,
    >
    > The ajax popup box are not real dialog. They're simulate in the same page
    > via some dynamically created div /layer. For your scenario, I think the
    > existing web page programming interface is quite limited to implement all
    > the effects. Where would your web application run at, a internet
    > envrionment or in an intranet local domain?

    Intranet.
    > For intranet scenario, maybe a
    > rich client approach would be better since they can give you more control
    > over the client machine.

    Yes...but no. We don't want the user to install anything on the machine. It
    has to be a light client :-(
    Oriane, Jul 9, 2008
  10. Oriane

    Oriane Guest

    "Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer)" <> a écrit
    dans le message de news:...
    > You will probably have to open IE, open another window and then close the
    > parent window.
    >
    > Another option is to wrap the IE bits in your own .NET application and
    > serve it that way. It is "cheating" perhaps, but it should work.

    If I could use .NET, it would be much simpler !!
    Oriane, Jul 9, 2008
  11. Thanks for your followup Oriane,

    That does be quite a difficult problem. Silverlight will be the minimal
    rich client solution available. And if zero-deployment is hard rule, so far
    I think using ajax to do the status polling would be the best solution.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    .

    ications.

    --------------------
    >From: "Oriane" <>

    <>
    <>
    <>

    Steven Cheng [MSFT], Jul 9, 2008
  12. On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 09:38:44 +0200, "Oriane" <>
    wrote:

    >"Steven Cheng [MSFT]" <> a écrit dans le message
    >de news:eek:...
    >> Thanks for your reply Oriane,
    >>
    >> The ajax popup box are not real dialog. They're simulate in the same page
    >> via some dynamically created div /layer. For your scenario, I think the
    >> existing web page programming interface is quite limited to implement all
    >> the effects. Where would your web application run at, a internet
    >> envrionment or in an intranet local domain?

    >Intranet.
    >> For intranet scenario, maybe a
    >> rich client approach would be better since they can give you more control
    >> over the client machine.

    >Yes...but no. We don't want the user to install anything on the machine. It
    >has to be a light client :-(

    The "yes ...but no" tells me you're hosed. The requirement for the
    client application to have a specialized UI around its browser control
    describes a custom client. This contradicts the requirement that no
    custom client is to be installed. Now the task is to figure out how to
    make a generic browser application (not the web app) behave as if it
    were a Vista widget.

    In a Vista world a similar task would be to run a Vista widget on a
    Vista machine without installing the widget.

    regards
    A.G.
    Registered User, Jul 9, 2008
  13. Oriane

    clintonG Guest

    IE can be toggled in and out of kiosk mode using F11 leaving only the x
    closer button as I recall but we can develop "windows" with absolutely no
    chrome using WPF or Silverlight.

    clintonG, Jul 9, 2008
  14. Oriane

    Author Guest

    Re: Is it possible not to have the navigator chrome on a Webpage/site ?

    On Jul 8, 4:14 pm, "Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)"
    <> wrote:
    > You will probably have to open IE, open another window and then close the
    > parent window.
    >
    > Another option is to wrap the IE bits in your own .NET application and serve
    > it that way. It is "cheating" perhaps, but it should work.
    >
    > --
    > Gregory A. Beamer
    > MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
    >
    > Subscribe to my bloghttp://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com/lists/feed.rss
    >
    > or just read it:http://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com/

    > | Think outside the box!                               |
    > ********************************************"Oriane" <> wrote in message

    > > "Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer)" <> a écrit
    > > dans le message denews:...
    > >>I imagine you can start up a web app in IE in minimal mode, if that is
    > >>your desire. I am not sure of the command line for the shortcut, but it
    > >>should not be that difficult. I know there are a lot of flags you can set
    > >>on iexplore.exe.

    > > I didn't find anything about the "minimal mode" of IE on Google. There are
    > > a few flags to start IE but none of them prevent the chrome to be shown..

    > > Cheers

    But, one can still easily get the URL of that page although it is not
    explicitly displayed since the address bar is gone. And now that I
    have the URL, I can simply paste it into the address bar of the parent
    browser window. Then the popup browser without any menu items or
    control buttons is hence defeated.
    Author, Jul 9, 2008