Is it possible to create a GUI/TUI toolkit using ruby?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by simonh, Jan 5, 2006.

  1. simonh

    simonh Guest

    this may be a daft question, but is it possible to create a widget
    toolkit using a scripting language? I know that most are written in C /
    C++ (QT, fox, wx), also ncurses for terminal interfaces. Therefore, is
    it impossible to do such a thing with ruby? Or is it just to much hard
    work?

    Please can someone put my mind at rest and possibly give an
    understandable explanation as to why it can't be done.

    many thanks
    simonh, Jan 5, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. simonh

    Dan Shafer Guest

    I suspect it would be possible but I also suspect it would be quite
    difficult. And I think the absence of a direct-manipulation graphical
    IDE is one of the things that keeps Ruby adoption somewhat restrained.

    That said, Ruby does include graphical extensions for using Gtk and
    Fox. I've never looked at Fox but the Gtk toolkit is, while somewhat
    primitive, eminently usable.

    On Jan 5, 2006, at 12:32 PM, simonh wrote:

    > this may be a daft question, but is it possible to create a widget
    > toolkit using a scripting language? I know that most are written in
    > C /
    > C++ (QT, fox, wx), also ncurses for terminal interfaces. Therefore, is
    > it impossible to do such a thing with ruby? Or is it just to much hard
    > work?
    >
    > Please can someone put my mind at rest and possibly give an
    > understandable explanation as to why it can't be done.
    >
    > many thanks
    >
    >




    -.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
    -.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
    Dan Shafer
    Technology Visionary - Technology Assessment - Documentation
    "Looking at technology from every angle"
    http://www.eclecticity.com
    Dan Shafer, Jan 5, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. simonh

    Alec Ross Guest

    In message <>,
    simonh <> writes
    >this may be a daft question, but is it possible to create a widget
    >toolkit using a scripting language? I know that most are written in C /
    >C++ (QT, fox, wx), also ncurses for terminal interfaces. Therefore, is
    >it impossible to do such a thing with ruby? Or is it just to much hard
    >work?
    >

    Is

    http://wxruby.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl

    of interest?

    ....

    --
    Alec Ross
    Alec Ross, Jan 5, 2006
    #3
  4. simonh

    Kero Guest

    On 2006-01-05, Hynek Schlawack <> wrote:
    > * "simonh" <> wrote:
    >
    >> this may be a daft question, but is it possible to create a widget
    >> toolkit using a scripting language? I know that most are written in C
    >> / C++ (QT, fox, wx), also ncurses for terminal interfaces. Therefore,
    >> is it impossible to do such a thing with ruby? Or is it just to much
    >> hard work?

    >
    > It is possible. You'd just need an interface to the low-level graphical
    > interface (in UNIX's case: X11). It's just pretty useless due to the
    > poor performance that would be expectable from a scripting language.


    Indeed: http://wise.rubyforge.org/

    (but it's been ages since I worked on it; Xlib is a beast, a monster; lots
    of speedup can be achieved, e.g. communicating with the X server is slower
    than a few Ruby calls; The more interesting discussions on a toolkit are
    about the Ruby API, not the underlying implementation -- if I read "closely
    matches the C(++) API", I immediately think "so it is not Ruby")

    But why the question? *curious*
    Kero, Jan 6, 2006
    #4
  5. On Jan 5, 2006, at 3:32 PM, simonh wrote:

    > this may be a daft question, but is it possible to create a widget
    > toolkit using a scripting language? I know that most are written in
    > C /
    > C++ (QT, fox, wx), also ncurses for terminal interfaces. Therefore, is
    > it impossible to do such a thing with ruby? Or is it just to much hard
    > work?
    >
    > Please can someone put my mind at rest and possibly give an
    > understandable explanation as to why it can't be done.


    It certainly can be done. The thing is it is a huge never-ending
    task... something really hard for an open source project (not
    technically, but socially). Of course, that's a gross
    characterisation that the wx/wxPython effort contradicts -- let's
    just say that I *really* applaud and appreciate their effort.

    My personal criteria include cross platform: OS/X, Linux, and
    Windows. That, unfortunately, changes things.

    There are a few UI toolkits that almost work for me: GTk, QT, Fox.
    They've all got multiple scripting language interfaces.

    I'm going to ignore the low-level interfaces to GL and other graphics
    engines.

    Tk is too slow for my purposes but it does work across platforms. And
    it works with pretty much every scripting language you can imagine.

    Wx is a contender. There is a wxPython out there that is quite
    active. The Ruby version is behind. The Common Lisp version is under
    development and appears to be problematic.

    Smalltalk... Don't know, I'll have to look more closely. Squeak
    doesn't look too good on OS/X (might be my problem though). Cincom is
    in some weird state on OS/X -- I *think* it is only targeted at X11
    but that's hard to believe (as I said I should look).

    Common Lisp... Lispworks has CAPI which is very very nice but I can't
    do what I need cross platform (current requirements include some kind
    of styled text editing and this isn't going to happen under linux
    with CAPI). There is a wx effort underway, but not there yet. There
    is an interesting GL based thing called Cells but that isn't ready
    yet. There are some other toolkits under development but they also
    are not ready.

    RealBasic... pretty good actually.

    Runtime Revolution... the most interesting of the bunch I think. I
    can't use it yet but I wish I could.

    You want a second killer app for Ruby? Write a Rails/ActionPack
    native front end to a web-based (i.e. Rails) back end. There is a
    project called Dabo <http://dabodev.com/wiki/FrontPage> underway in
    the python world. It is using wx to front a web engine.

    Cheers,
    Bob

    >
    > many thanks
    >
    >


    ----
    Bob Hutchison -- blogs at <http://www.recursive.ca/
    hutch/>
    Recursive Design Inc. -- <http://www.recursive.ca/>
    Raconteur -- <http://www.raconteur.info/>
    xampl for Ruby -- <http://rubyforge.org/projects/xampl/>
    Bob Hutchison, Jan 6, 2006
    #5
  6. In addition to Gtk and Fox, Qt is supported, as is Tk. I'm not sure but
    I think wx is supported as well. I don't recall seeing anything about
    Ruby bindings for fltk though.

    IMHO the Qt widgets are the best looking, so that's the direction I've
    taken. Plus there is an excellent book on Qt (and KDE) Ruby at

    http://pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/ctrubyqt/index.html



    Dan Shafer wrote:

    > I suspect it would be possible but I also suspect it would be quite
    > difficult. And I think the absence of a direct-manipulation graphical
    > IDE is one of the things that keeps Ruby adoption somewhat restrained.
    >
    > That said, Ruby does include graphical extensions for using Gtk and
    > Fox. I've never looked at Fox but the Gtk toolkit is, while somewhat
    > primitive, eminently usable.
    >
    > On Jan 5, 2006, at 12:32 PM, simonh wrote:
    >
    >> this may be a daft question, but is it possible to create a widget
    >> toolkit using a scripting language? I know that most are written in C /
    >> C++ (QT, fox, wx), also ncurses for terminal interfaces. Therefore, is
    >> it impossible to do such a thing with ruby? Or is it just to much hard
    >> work?
    >>
    >> Please can someone put my mind at rest and possibly give an
    >> understandable explanation as to why it can't be done.
    >>
    >> many thanks
    >>
    >>

    >
    >
    >
    > -.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
    > -.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
    > Dan Shafer
    > Technology Visionary - Technology Assessment - Documentation
    > "Looking at technology from every angle"
    > http://www.eclecticity.com
    >
    >
    >
    >


    --
    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

    http://linuxcapacityplanning.com
    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Jan 7, 2006
    #6
  7. simonh

    Guest

    On Sunday 08 January 2006 06:26 am, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
    > In addition to Gtk and Fox, Qt is supported, as is Tk. I'm not sure but
    > I think wx is supported as well. I don't recall seeing anything about
    > Ruby bindings for fltk though.
    >
    > IMHO the Qt widgets are the best looking, so that's the direction I've
    > taken. Plus there is an excellent book on Qt (and KDE) Ruby at



    Qt widgets best looking? The GTK widgets look like candy as well when you use
    the theme daemon. I'll agree Qt id definitely best at being rock solid and
    having stable releases. The problem is the bindings for ruby are not as
    complete as wished for qtruby/4. Qtruby/3 bindings I never could compile a
    stable version on windows(which matters for making the most money from the
    world still). the Best current bindings at this time which are rock solid,
    stable, and the base toolkit as well are.. GTK, tk, and widestudio. These
    bindings *and* toolkits have 1) frozen library APIs 2) very decent interfaces
    to ruby 3) work everywhere *X11 on mac == works :)* 4) support multiple
    language encodings

    Current status of the qtruby/4 bindings work on windows, but they are missing
    1) ui file loading, and 2) rdale is working on improving the signal/slots
    declarations if he hasn't done so already.

    Tsume
    , Jan 8, 2006
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. sd

    java tui

    sd, Dec 13, 2005, in forum: Java
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    1,145
    Gordon Beaton
    Dec 14, 2005
  2. Robert J.N. Speirs

    WTD: webpage counter TUI-friendly

    Robert J.N. Speirs, Jun 19, 2004, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    383
    Toby A Inkster
    Jun 19, 2004
  3. Water Lin
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    3,117
    rabbits77
    Jun 19, 2009
  4. C_learner
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    343
    luser- -droog
    Oct 25, 2010
  5. Imobach González Sosa

    TUI library

    Imobach González Sosa, Oct 9, 2003, in forum: Ruby
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    198
    Imobach González Sosa
    Oct 10, 2003
Loading...

Share This Page