    on windows XP ?

    thanks,
    Stef Mientki

    Stef Mientki, Dec 17, 2007

  2. Stef Mientki

    Dan Guest

    On Dec 17, 11:07 am, Stef Mientki <>
    wrote:
    > hello,
    >
    > I'm currently using Python 2.4,
    > and I don't dare to switch to 2.5,
    > because I depend heavily on Scipy, which is based on 2.4
    >
    > To test some other Python programs I need Python version 2.5.
    > I've tried to install 2.5 in the past,
    > but got a lot of trouble trying to uninstall it to go back to 2.4.
    >
    > Is there a safe way to install Python 2.5,
    > without affecting the Python 2.4 version and the windows registry,
    > on windows XP ?
    >
    > thanks,
    > Stef Mientki

    I'm currently running 2.3 and 2.5 on the same XP system with no
    problems. As I remember the installs didn't effect each other at all.

    -Dan

    Dan, Dec 17, 2007

  3. Stef Mientki

    Tim Golden Guest

    Dan wrote:
    > On Dec 17, 11:07 am, Stef Mientki <>
    > wrote:
    >> hello,
    >>
    >> I'm currently using Python 2.4,
    >> and I don't dare to switch to 2.5,
    >> because I depend heavily on Scipy, which is based on 2.4
    >>
    >> To test some other Python programs I need Python version 2.5.
    >> I've tried to install 2.5 in the past,
    >> but got a lot of trouble trying to uninstall it to go back to 2.4.
    >>
    >> Is there a safe way to install Python 2.5,
    >> without affecting the Python 2.4 version and the windows registry,
    >> on windows XP ?
    >>
    >> thanks,
    >> Stef Mientki

    > I'm currently running 2.3 and 2.5 on the same XP system with no
    > problems. As I remember the installs didn't effect each other at all.

    Generally, subsequent installs will offer the possibility of
    associating themselves with the .py extension. I just deselect
    this on the .msi options screen -- or go back in and reset the
    association later if I need to -- and I have run about 5 different
    versions for compatibility testing without any problems. I'm
    currently running 2.2, 2.4, 2.5 and the svn head. 2.5 is the
    default (ie associated with .py files and with its scripts folder
    on the system PATH).

    TJG

    Tim Golden, Dec 17, 2007
  4. Stef Mientki

    Stef Mientki Guest

    I finally found a way to let everything work:

    My base system is a stable Scipy installation, based on Python 2.4,
    with a few extra or updated libraries.
    This Python installation is completed with RPYC and PyScripter,
    to form a good workplace to develop GUI through wxPython.

    Installing of a working Python 2.5 version is done in the following way:
    - get a winXP system on which Python is not necessary
    - install on that PC Python 2.5
    - copy from windows\system32\Python25.dll
    to the root where you installed Python 2.5
    - now you can move the newly created root map to any place you like
    - place a shortcut to python.exe on your desktop
    - drop any file you like to run in Python 2.5 on the shortcut

    Seems to work like a charm.
    But maybe there might be better ways.

    cheers,
    Stef