    to manually copy them to each of the other pages each time I add a
    link or is there a way to have them saved in a file and dynamically
    included in other pages?

    Cogito, Aug 8, 2005

  2. Cogito wrote:
    > There is a chunk of html links that I use in several pages. Do I need
    > to manually copy them to each of the other pages each time I add a
    > link or is there a way to have them saved in a file and dynamically
    > included in other pages?

    Read up on server-side includes (if your server lets you use them),
    external javascripts (if it doesn't), inline frames, and whatever I've
    forgotton that everyone else will remind me of ....

    rEo

    roland.E.oderant, Aug 8, 2005

  3. Cogito wrote:

    > There is a chunk of html links that I use in several pages. Do I need
    > to manually copy them to each of the other pages each time I add a
    > link or is there a way to have them saved in a file and dynamically
    > included in other pages?

    In pure HTML code, no. The use of frames (a frameset or the iframe
    element), client-side scripting (such as JavaScript) and/or inclusion
    with <object> can be buggy at best, since old browsers don't support
    these methods, and several newer browsers have the ability to disable
    the use of plugins and client-side scripting. Also, you may not always
    get the results that you want, something which will only annoy your
    visitors (and potential customers) further. IMO, this is better done on
    the server side.
    http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another

    Do also follow the recent (and active) thread with the subject line
    "Possible to Insert One HTML Doc Into Another?".

    --
    Kim André Akerø
    -

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=, Aug 8, 2005
  4. Cogito

    Safalra Guest

    roland.E.oderant wrote:
    > Cogito wrote:
    > > There is a chunk of html links that I use in several pages. Do I need
    > > to manually copy them to each of the other pages each time I add a
    > > link or is there a way to have them saved in a file and dynamically
    > > included in other pages?

    > Read up on server-side includes (if your server lets you use them),
    > external javascripts (if it doesn't), [snip]

    Please avoid Javascript if the links are at all important (for example,
    navigation), as a small but significant number of visitors won't be
    able to see them. More generally, Javascript shouldn't be used for
    important features, unless a non-Javascript version is also made
    available.

    There's another thread active on this subject at the moment - 'Possible
    to Insert One HTML Doc Into Another?'. Also the thread 'IFrame'
    mentions some issues with iframes as opposed to includes.

    --
    Safalra (Stephen Morley)
    http://www.safalra.com/hypertext/

    Safalra, Aug 8, 2005