Is there any one who has been working with java for a long long time?

Daniel Pitts

Amanda said:
If so, I have a unique question.

I have a unique suggestion.
Ask your question, and if someone has an answer, they will likely post
it.

Thomas Hawtin

Tor said:
Have you matched it against all possible/existing questions to ensure
it's unique? We take such things seriously here.

I bet it's only unique inside a given class loader context.

Tom Hawtin (unique name within Europe, AFAIK)

Patricia Shanahan

Amanda said:
If so, I have a unique question.

I don't think anyone has been working with java for a "long long time".
Even its precursor, Oak, has only existed for about 15 years.

However, different people have different ideas of "long" in these contexts.

Why not just post your question?

Patricia

Tor Iver Wilhelmsen

Amanda said:
If so, I have a unique question.

Have you matched it against all possible/existing questions to ensure
it's unique? We take such things seriously here.

Amanda

Tor said:
Have you matched it against all possible/existing questions to ensure
it's unique? We take such things seriously here.

I assure you that it is very uinique?

When I post this unqiue question, I hope someone answers it.

Amanda

Jean-Francois Briere said:
I've been.
What is your question?

Here it is.

I have noticed that in some pharmaceutial industry, programmer with
experience in J2EE, JDBC, JSP, and database knowledge such as Oracle
with "CHEMISTRY" knowledge is desired.

Three years ago, they were using C++. I am wondering whether they will
move to C# or will some remain using Java?

I have Chemistry degrees + academic level programming skills (lots of
exposure to different topics via courses work ). I did a little bit of
JSP as a part of school work but it's been a few years.

I am familiarizing myself wiht C# now and am planning to spend some
serious time to become good at J2EE, JSP, etc but also wonders whether
I should just concentrate in C# in case these pharma companies moves
onto C#. I realy want to get into working in Chemistry environment in
IT sector, i.e research envrionent starting with programming work.

What's the suggestion or opinion?

Manish Pandit

Don't you have other Pharma sector companies other than this particular
one? I can safely say that as long as you are cool with relocating
wherever your job takes you, proficiency in Java Technologies will get
you into one of the pharma companies.

-cheers,
Manish

Amanda

Manish said:
Don't you have other Pharma sector companies other than this particular
one?

I have yet to do more research into that.
I can safely say that as long as you are cool with relocating
wherever your job takes you, proficiency in Java Technologies will get
you into one of the pharma companies.

I am in the West Coast of USA but I am willing to move to the east
coast where there are some Pharma companies as well. In fact, some
companies are leaving CA and living expense here is getting crazier.

Thanks for the info on Java. I really appreciate it.

Manish Pandit

Amanda said:
Thanks for the info on Java. I really appreciate it.

You're welcome. One possible hurdle could be IT vs. research, as most
of the job openings in pharma companies (like Genentech, Roche, Chiron,
etc. in the bay area) are in their IT division. They may ask for an
understanding of pharma business, but I am not sure if that'd need
chemistry. You might want to get into IT as a stepping stone, and then
move in towards the research/lab divisions if there are any internal
openings.

-cheers,
Manish

Amanda

Manish said:
You're welcome. One possible hurdle could be IT vs. research, as most
of the job openings in pharma companies (like Genentech, Roche, Chiron,
etc. in the bay area) are in their IT division. They may ask for an
understanding of pharma business, but I am not sure if that'd need
chemistry. You might want to get into IT as a stepping stone, and then
move in towards the research/lab divisions if there are any internal
openings.

-cheers,
Manish

Thanks again for the info. Yes, I should get into IT first ( will try
contract work but first needs to do project on my own since no schools
offers specific cousre for what I want to get good at) and get
industrial experience before trying pharma companies.

About pharma business, I had seen specific knowledge requirement in
Protein Synthesis while stating BS/MS in Chemistry or Computer Science
stating the IT requirements but recently, I have been seeing no
specific mentioning except w.r.t IT with stating that it would be in
chemistry environment requiring Chemistry knowledge. I am okay with
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology - have basic knowledge in both and
can catch up easily with those.

I'll be very happy to do even "unpaid" internship in Java even if I
have to move as lon as it would be good experience.

Simon Brooke

Amanda said:
If so, I have a unique question.

I've been using it as my principle language since 1996, and first taught a
course in it in 1995 - the year it was publicly announced. I imagine there
are plenty of other people here who could say the same. I never used Oak,
but I have used a lot of languages which were in one way or another
predecessors to Java; I've been programming in object-oriented languages
since 1986.

Simon Brooke

Amanda said:
Here it is.

I have noticed that in some pharmaceutial industry, programmer with
experience in J2EE, JDBC, JSP, and database knowledge such as Oracle
with "CHEMISTRY" knowledge is desired.

Three years ago, they were using C++. I am wondering whether they will
move to C# or will some remain using Java?

That's a commercial question, not a technical one.

There's no significant technical benefit of C# over Java; C# is simply a
copy of Java as close as Microsoft can get without violating Sun's various
contracts and intellectual property protections. C# does benefit a little
from coming later and learning from a few of Java's mistakes, but not in
any significant way - most of the things which are wrong with Java are
identical in C#.

If your employer is a Microsoft house, sooner or later they'll move to C#.
If your employer is not a Microsoft house, or wishes to keep their
long-term strategic options open, they won't.
I have Chemistry degrees + academic level programming skills (lots of
exposure to different topics via courses work ). I did a little bit of
JSP as a part of school work but it's been a few years.

I am familiarizing myself wiht C# now and am planning to spend some
serious time to become good at J2EE, JSP, etc but also wonders whether
I should just concentrate in C# in case these pharma companies moves
onto C#.

If you are looking at big companies, my bet is they cannot afford to be
strategically dependent on Microsoft, and so will stay with Java. This
isn't simply a choice between Microsoft and Sun, since Microsoft are the
only main suppliers of the C# environment, whereas Java can be
second-sourced from IBM and others. It is this relative openness which,
for large companies at least, will continue to give Java its relative edge
over C#.

Chris Uppal

Amanda said:
When I post this unqiue question, I hope someone answers it.

Probably nobody will know the answer...

(In a working newsgroup, a lot of the communal knowledge at any one time has
been learned from reading previous posts -- so a genuinely new question might
stump the whole community ;-)

-- chris

Furious George

Amanda said:
If so, I have a unique question.

I have been using java for several hundred thousand years now. I am
still a newbie, but pose your question anyway.

Amanda

Furious said:
I have been using java for several hundred thousand years now.

I didn't know that Java has been around that long? Any evidence?

I am still a newbie, but pose your question anyway.

I need to develop a reasonable size project (or more than one) using
jsp, using JDBC, so that I can show as personal project on my resume.
Any guidance?

Would you recommend Tomcat or JBoss? MySQL or another database such as
oracle. I have SQL Server (not express ed) btw.

Amanda

Simon said:
I've been using it as my principle language since 1996, and first taught a
course in it in 1995 - the year it was publicly announced. I imagine there
are plenty of other people here who could say the same. I never used Oak,
but I have used a lot of languages which were in one way or another
predecessors to Java; I've been programming in object-oriented languages
since 1986.

So have you been teaching Java lately?

Amanda

Simon said:
That's a commercial question, not a technical one.
Right.

There's no significant technical benefit of C# over Java; C# is simply a
copy of Java as close as Microsoft can get without violating Sun's various
contracts and intellectual property protections. C# does benefit a little
from coming later and learning from a few of Java's mistakes, but not in
any significant way - most of the things which are wrong with Java are
identical in C#.

I personally feel that Microsoft stole form Suna nd call it C#.
If your employer is a Microsoft house, sooner or later they'll move to C#.
If your employer is not a Microsoft house, or wishes to keep their
long-term strategic options open, they won't.

I see. I didn't think of that.
So if a big pharma company uses java, it's not likely that they will
move to .Net then.

If you are looking at big companies, my bet is they cannot afford to be
strategically dependent on Microsoft, and so will stay with Java.

Hmm. A friend of mine - he is seriosu Java Programmer - got an
interview with a big pharma company in East Coast and was told that
they would get into C#. I don't know what they were/are using though.
This
isn't simply a choice between Microsoft and Sun, since Microsoft are the
only main suppliers of the C# environment, whereas Java can be
second-sourced from IBM and others. It is this relative openness which,
for large companies at least, will continue to give Java its relative edge
over C#.

Thanks a lot for this info. Now I know what to stick with at the moment
to reach my goal.
I am happy to hear that C# won't beat Java.