Is WebServices ok to send files

Dan

Hi Gurus,
I need some advice.

We needed to send a file from a client to server once a day. Sometimes file
size could be around 100MB.
So we added a new routine to our existing Web Service.
Then created a windows service to send a file whenever we want.
Everything is working good so far.

Is this a good approach doing it or there is any other better way doing
this.
Also wanted to know what is the fastest way to send files using WEB.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Dan.

Scott M.

Dan said:
Hi Gurus,
I need some advice.

We needed to send a file from a client to server once a day. Sometimes
file size could be around 100MB.
So we added a new routine to our existing Web Service.
Then created a windows service to send a file whenever we want.
Everything is working good so far.

Is this a good approach doing it or there is any other better way doing
this.
Also wanted to know what is the fastest way to send files using WEB.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Dan.

If you are talking about sending an actual file (and not just some data),
then this may not be the best approach, especially when there is 100MB to
send!

XML Web Services is, first and foremost, an architecture to connect
disparite systems to each other over the HTTP protocol (the Internet/ an
intranet). In order for this to work, the data must be serialized and then
deserialized, which doesn't make XML Web Services the most efficient answer
out there, just an very "open" solution.

If you have to send your file over the web, can't use send it via the FTP
protocol, from an FTP server? This would be the more efficent approach.

-Scott

Mr. Arnold

Dan said:
Hi Gurus,
I need some advice.

We needed to send a file from a client to server once a day. Sometimes file
size could be around 100MB.

I'll assume this file is XML.
So we added a new routine to our existing Web Service.
Then created a windows service to send a file whenever we want.
Everything is working good so far.
OK

Is this a good approach doing it or there is any other better way doing
this.

You could create a Console program to do the same thing and run it at
the command prompt.
Also wanted to know what is the fastest way to send files using WEB.

What you're doing.

Mr. Arnold

Dan said:
Hi Gurus,
I need some advice.

We needed to send a file from a client to server once a day. Sometimes file
size could be around 100MB.
So we added a new routine to our existing Web Service.
Then created a windows service to send a file whenever we want.
Everything is working good so far.

Is this a good approach doing it or there is any other better way doing
this.
Also wanted to know what is the fastest way to send files using WEB.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Dan.

Oh, one other thing you can compress and decompress the data. If it's
compressed it will go over the wire faster.

Dan

This file is a database backup which is zipped.
I'll try with FTP and see the performance.

Thanks, Dan