Is your computer capable of showing a HD movie?

cwdjrxyz

Disney has released a trailer for an upcoming iMAX 3D movie to be
shown in 2010. It is in 1920 x 800 format at
http://wdmp-wdsmp.rd.llnw.net/wdsmp/TRON/VFXConcept/Grid_VFX_ConceptTest_1080.mov
.. You must have a recent QT player to view it. Although only 2.57
seconds long, the file size is 244 MB. That means you will have to
download it unless you have an isp that can deliver well over about 13
mbps. When you click on the url, a HD QT player may come up, but it
may not start playing automatically. Right click on the screen after
enough time has passed for 244 Mb and you will be offered to save the
movie. This choice will not work until the download is at least nearly
completed. The quality of the move seems about the same as that from a
Blu-ray disc, even when viewed on a 40 inch HDTV using an HDMI 2
connection from the computer to the HDTV. It also shows up well on a
HD computer monitor. This puts great strain on the speed of your
computer and quality of the graphics card. Some computers just a few
years old, even high end ones when new, may not play this trailer well
if at all.

[...]

Typo: The trailer is only 2.57 minutes(not seconds) long.

Travis Newbury

Disney has released a trailer...

Over the last 3 years there has been a HUGE explosion in the needs to
video production. With cable, satellite, the web, smart phones, video
is now everywhere. I was very lucky to move from software development
(web applications) to video post production (motion graphics/titles) a
little over a year ago. I do not see this trend changing in the near
future.

Interestingly enough, a big part of motion graphics is programming in C
++ like scripting languages. So it is not a huge leap to move from
web development to video production.

Of course I enjoy alt.html so much that even though I don't do web
work any more, I will continue to add my 2 cents to those that have
not put me on their shit list...

rf

Travis said:
Over the last 3 years there has been a HUGE explosion in the needs to
video production. With cable, satellite, the web, smart phones, video
is now everywhere. I was very lucky to move from software development
(web applications) to video post production (motion graphics/titles) a
little over a year ago.

Do you still use flash over there? :)

Travis Newbury

Do you still use flash over there? :)

That was probably a rhetorical question but, the only Flash we use is
for the video players. I do make a lot of animations in after effects
and export them as Flash for use on websites. I did this recently for
the 2009 NAACP convention. (I also created their video logo).