J2ME confusion... IBM J9... Verizon Wireless.

JDeats

So I decided to visited my local Verizon Wireless retailer and took a
look at their phones. Plenty of their models offer games and app
downloads but none of them support J2ME (at least none of them claim
Java support).

After some research it seems Verizon has selected to only support
phones that implment QUALCOMM's BREW technology, however this is also
evidence that they are using IBM J9 (a J2ME VM implementation that
sits on top of BREW?)

My primary source for the Verizon J9 implementation is this article:
http://tinyurl.com/3dnfh

I don't understand how J9 deployment works. One would think that a J9
enabled device would reconize JAR/JAD files just as native J2ME
supported devices operate, but this doesn't seem to be the case due to
the the "rights management" technology imposed by BREW. BREW's system
works like this: You have to have your applications digitally signed
(which of course cost $$$) before they will run on BREW enabled
phones. As a developer you have the option on purchaseing a developer
signature, but this involves you sending your phone in to their lab
where they modify it (void the warrenty) and send it back "test
enabled".

After this procedure you can upload your MIF/SIG files (BREW binaries)
into the device providing you a data cable.

The whole system seems to be built around crippling versitality of
cell phone devices to the benefit of the cell phone providers. Games
and Application downloads makes for a great secondary market for them
to cash in on. BREW gives them the tools they need to insure that if a
Game or app is to be installed on a phone serviced by one of their
plans they can collect a fee.

Seems like complete BS to me since Verizons customers are buying the
phones from them (not leasing them) and the plan is just a service
plan.

The underlying techology allows for an open architecture and homebrew
software, but as long as their customers don't know why do they need
to tell them?

J2ME on top of QUALCOMM's BREW