    ..class file. Is this still true with J2ME bytecodes? Can you still
    achieve the same effect?

    What are some good disassembler for java ?

    Joseph, May 20, 2005

  2. Joseph

    Daniel Tahin Guest

    Hi,

    I have used this Java SDK disassembler before:
    http://kpdus.tripod.com/jad.html#download
    This worked well. I don't know, perhaps it's ok for J2ME as well
    (because J2ME uses the same compiler, or not?)...

    Daniel Tahin, May 20, 2005

  3. Joseph wrote:
    > I recall that with java applets (bytecode) you can use a disassembler
    > to reverse compile and so output a source code .java file from any
    > ..class file. Is this still true with J2ME bytecodes? Can you still
    > achieve the same effect?

    Yes, Bytecodes are bytecodes. The only difference is that with the MIDP
    the bytecodes are preverified before being loaded onto the device.

    > What are some good disassembler for java ?

    Try JAD or javap.

    --
    Darryl L. Pierce <>
    Visit my homepage: http://mcpierce.multiply.com

    Darryl Pierce, May 22, 2005
  4. Joseph

    Joseph Guest

    Re: J2ME disassembler?

    Darryl Pierce wrote:
    > Joseph wrote:
    > > I recall that with java applets (bytecode) you can use a disassembler
    > > to reverse compile and so output a source code .java file from any
    > > ..class file. Is this still true with J2ME bytecodes? Can you still
    > > achieve the same effect?

    > Yes, Bytecodes are bytecodes. The only difference is that with the MIDP
    > the bytecodes are preverified before being loaded onto the device.
    >
    > > What are some good disassembler for java ?

    > Try JAD or javap.
    >
    > --
    > Darryl L. Pierce <>
    > Visit my homepage: http://mcpierce.multiply.com
    > "By doubting we come to inquiry, through inquiry truth." - Peter Abelard

    Because its preverified. Wouldn't that means java disassembler won't
    be able to deal with it? as it requires pure bytecode. Does preverify
    do anything to the bytecode? I know that it changes the size of my
    compiled j2me.

    Joseph, May 27, 2005
  5. Re: J2ME disassembler?

    Joseph wrote:

    > Darryl Pierce wrote:
    >
    >>Joseph wrote:
    >>
    >>>I recall that with java applets (bytecode) you can use a disassembler
    >>>to reverse compile and so output a source code .java file from any
    >>>..class file. Is this still true with J2ME bytecodes? Can you still
    >>>achieve the same effect?

    >>Yes, Bytecodes are bytecodes. The only difference is that with the MIDP
    >>the bytecodes are preverified before being loaded onto the device.
    >>

    >>>What are some good disassembler for java ?

    >>Try JAD or javap.

    > Because its preverified.

    So?

    > Wouldn't that means java disassembler won't
    > be able to deal with it? as it requires pure bytecode. Does preverify
    > do anything to the bytecode? I know that it changes the size of my
    > compiled j2me.

    It does nothing to it that would bother the a decompiler. Have you
    actually *tried* JAD yet?

    Darryl Pierce, May 31, 2005