J2ME MMAPI's for MIDP 1.0?

Jeremy Deats'

So I have a Samsung SGH-x427. My understanding is this phone was designed
for Cingular (to their specs) GSM networks (as is the case these days,
phones are designed for specific service providers).

According to everything I can find on this phone it only supports MIDP 1.0
(source: www.samsung.com / www.jbenchmark.com ) however the three Java games
that come preinstalled all make use non-MIDP 1.0 spec features (e.g. the
games use sampled digital sound effects). I'm guessing they are implementing
the MMAPI (JSR 135) under MIDP 1.0. Is there anyway I can confirm this?

Do I need to obtain an SDK from Samsung or will Suns MMAPI SDK work? I only
ask because Nokia seems to have their own SDK which includes the MMAPI
extensions

-Jeremy

Darryl L. Pierce

Jeremy said:
So I have a Samsung SGH-x427. My understanding is this phone was designed
for Cingular (to their specs) GSM networks (as is the case these days,
phones are designed for specific service providers).

According to everything I can find on this phone it only supports MIDP 1.0
(source: www.samsung.com / www.jbenchmark.com ) however the three Java
games that come preinstalled all make use non-MIDP 1.0 spec features (e.g.
the games use sampled digital sound effects). I'm guessing they are
implementing the MMAPI (JSR 135) under MIDP 1.0. Is there anyway I can
confirm this?

They may instead be using proprietary APIs available on the phone itself.
Do I need to obtain an SDK from Samsung or will Suns MMAPI SDK work? I
only ask because Nokia seems to have their own SDK which includes the
MMAPI extensions

If the mobile is using the MMAPI then you should be able to do a simple test
to see if the javax.microedition.media.Manager class exists, using
Class.forName(). If it's there then you've confirmed the MMAPI's
availability.

--
/**
* @author Darryl L. Pierce <[email protected]>