J2ME : place components

Arnaud

Hello,

I've tried to develop with J2ME today.
I'm come from SuperWaba world....

I've tried some example provided with the Sun SDK and I try one devlopment.

I know how to add graphical component (button, String Item, list...) but
I don't find how to set thier position where I would like !
Ex. : Command are always at the bottom
StringItem is at the right top ...

Does it exist a method to set the position of a graphical component?

Regards

Arnaud

Darryl Pierce

Arnaud said:
Hello,

I've tried to develop with J2ME today.
I'm come from SuperWaba world....

I've tried some example provided with the Sun SDK and I try one devlopment.

I know how to add graphical component (button, String Item, list...) but
I don't find how to set thier position where I would like !
Ex. : Command are always at the bottom
StringItem is at the right top ...

You can't control where Commands are displayed, it's a platform
dependant thing; i.e., one some handsets it's displayed as a dropdown
menu (RIM Blackberry), or it's displayed with a softkey on the side
appropriate for the handset itself.

For components, there's some layout management available with MIDP 2.0,
but it's only a *suggestion* for layouts.

Arnaud

Darryl Pierce a écrit :
You can't control where Commands are displayed, it's a platform
dependant thing; i.e., one some handsets it's displayed as a dropdown
menu (RIM Blackberry), or it's displayed with a softkey on the side
appropriate for the handset itself.

For components, there's some layout management available with MIDP 2.0,
but it's only a *suggestion* for layouts.
Ok for command control. For others Item object, it's the same ? I can
use only layout? So if would something like this
Label Texfield Bouton
I can't
I could make only
Label TextFiled in layout
Button
Is it true ? It's not flexible :-(
Thx for your answer
Regards

Darryl Pierce

Arnaud said:
Ok for command control. For others Item object, it's the same ? I can
use only layout? So if would something like this
Label Texfield Bouton
I can't
I could make only
Label TextFiled in layout
Button
Is it true ? It's not flexible :-(

I'm sorry, mate, but I can't parse your sentences above. What are you
trying to say? The layout manager is only a way to *suggest* a layout to
the handset. The final layout is always controlled by the handset
itself. For example, if you tried to layout a checkbox next to a text
field, and on the handset that would push the checkbox out of the screen
range, then the handset can (and probably would) move the checkbox to
the next line.

Arnaud

Darryl Pierce a écrit :
I'm sorry, mate, but I can't parse your sentences above. What are you
trying to say? The layout manager is only a way to *suggest* a layout to
the handset. The final layout is always controlled by the handset
itself. For example, if you tried to layout a checkbox next to a text
field, and on the handset that would push the checkbox out of the screen
range, then the handset can (and probably would) move the checkbox to
the next line.
I would say : How can I set a checkbox at x=50 and y=100 (where x and y
are coords), how can I make ? With information taht you give me this is
impossible. Layout have a "fix size" : if I use a layout centers to
left, my checkbox will be place at left. If I would put my checkbox at
left with a marge to 10 pixels and a Label 80 pixels after, I can't. right ?

Thx for your answers and sorry for my poor english .

Regards

Arnaud