    thanks
    from Peter ()

    , Sep 12, 2005

  2. Malte Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi
    > You know James gosling monthly salary? how much sun giving him?
    > thanks
    > from Peter ()

    Why don't you just email him and ask?

    (as if it's any of your business, of course).

    Malte, Sep 12, 2005

  3. On 12 Sep 2005 03:24:15 -0700, wrote:
    > You know James gosling monthly salary? how much sun giving him?

    About $5.75 an hour, and he gets a 10% discount on any EOL Sun
    hardware he wants to buy.

    /gordon

    Gordon Beaton, Sep 12, 2005
  4. jan V Guest

    > On 12 Sep 2005 03:24:15 -0700, wrote:
    > > You know James gosling monthly salary? how much sun giving him?

    > About $5.75 an hour, and he gets a 10% discount on any EOL Sun
    > hardware he wants to buy.

    Proves the point that we programmers aren't valued as much as we think we
    should ! :))

    Seriously though, pro footballers can get anything between £50'000 and
    £100'000 PER WEEK. For running after an elastic sphere on a grass pitch...
    for goodness sake. It just makes your eyes water, doesn't it?

    jan V, Sep 12, 2005
  5. Pete Barrett Guest

    On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 15:58:10 GMT, "jan V" <> wrote:

    >Seriously though, pro footballers can get anything between £50'000 and
    >£100'000 PER WEEK. For running after an elastic sphere on a grass pitch...
    >for goodness sake. It just makes your eyes water, doesn't it?

    Don't forget the sponsorship and advertising deals. When did you last
    hear of a programmer being paid to advertise a particular brand of
    razor? <g>

    Pete Barrett

    Pete Barrett, Sep 12, 2005
  6. Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 19:14:38 +0100, Pete Barrett
    <> wrote or quoted :

    >When did you last
    >hear of a programmer being paid to advertise a particular brand of
    >razor?

    Peter Norton once flogged Dewar's Scotch.

    John Dvorak surely has a contract for toilet bowl cleaners or
    something similar.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Sep 12, 2005
  7. Malte Guest

    jan V wrote:
    >>On 12 Sep 2005 03:24:15 -0700, wrote:
    >>
    >>>You know James gosling monthly salary? how much sun giving him?

    >>About $5.75 an hour, and he gets a 10% discount on any EOL Sun
    >>hardware he wants to buy.

    > Proves the point that we programmers aren't valued as much as we think we
    > should ! :))
    >
    > Seriously though, pro footballers can get anything between £50'000 and
    > £100'000 PER WEEK. For running after an elastic sphere on a grass pitch...
    > for goodness sake. It just makes your eyes water, doesn't it?

    Well, if you could get national TV interested in a little Java
    programming/debugging, your salary might increase as well.

    Malte, Sep 12, 2005
  8. jan V Guest

    > On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 15:58:10 GMT, "jan V" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Seriously though, pro footballers can get anything between £50'000 and
    > >£100'000 PER WEEK. For running after an elastic sphere on a grass

    pitch...
    > >for goodness sake. It just makes your eyes water, doesn't it?
    > >

    > Don't forget the sponsorship and advertising deals. When did you last
    > hear of a programmer being paid to advertise a particular brand of
    > razor? <g>

    I was thinking of copying that Chinese guy who leased his body as
    advertising space... don't know how that would go down in a Western country
    though. Police are a bit arsehole-ish with this so-called "war on terror"
    nowadays.. I wouldn't like to be shot just because one of my clients
    advertised something the police mistook for some statement or other that
    doesn't agree with the current political powers.

    jan V, Sep 12, 2005
  9. jan V Guest

    > Well, if you could get national TV interested in a little Java
    > programming/debugging, your salary might increase as well.

    The eighties saw some attempts at TV broadcasting programmes about
    computing, at least in the UK. Those valiant efforts soon got killed in the
    ratings wars. I don't think we'll ever again see major TV channels
    broadcasting any regular programme on computing technology, let alone how to
    program the beasts. Unless as part of a reality "show"....

    jan V, Sep 12, 2005

    Gordon Beaton 寫é“:

    > On 12 Sep 2005 03:24:15 -0700, wrote:
    > > You know James gosling monthly salary? how much sun giving him?

    > About $5.75 an hour, and he gets a 10% discount on any EOL Sun
    > hardware he wants to buy.
    >
    > /gordon
    >
    > --
    > [ do not email me copies of your followups ]

    %5.75USD is not possible for a man leading java

    , Sep 13, 2005
  11. Joan Guest

    <> wrote in message

    Gordon Beaton 寫é“:

    > On 12 Sep 2005 03:24:15 -0700, wrote:
    > > You know James gosling monthly salary? how much sun giving
    > > him?

    > About $5.75 an hour, and he gets a 10% discount on any EOL Sun
    > hardware he wants to buy.
    >
    > /gordon
    >
    > --
    > [ do not email me copies of your followups ]

    >%5.75USD is not possible for a man leading java

    Depends on the state, IL has minimum wage of $6.50
    but in IN it is $5.15

    Joan, Sep 13, 2005
  12. wrote in comp.lang.java.programmer:
    > Proves the point that we programmers aren't valued as much as we think we
    > should ! :))
    >
    > Seriously though, pro footballers can get anything between £50'000 and
    > £100'000 PER WEEK. For running after an elastic sphere on a grass pitch...
    > for goodness sake. It just makes your eyes water, doesn't it?

    But those people actually are _really_ _good_ in what they do.
    In the software industry, the programmers, who are on the same
    level as those professional footballers are in their field of
    expertise, write their own killer apps and then sell them to
    eBay for $3 billion.

    So, the next time your boss talks about teamwork remind him that
    you're all just mediocre players and one can't expect to win the
    UEFA Champions League with a mediocre team. :)

    --
    Antti S. Brax Rullalautailu pitää lapset poissa ladulta
    http://www.iki.fi/asb/ http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/abrax/hlb/

    [1385 messages expunged from folder "Spam"]

    Antti S. Brax, Sep 13, 2005
  13. [OT] Re: James gosling salary

    On 12 Sep 2005 20:20:29 -0700, wrote:
    > %5.75USD is not possible for a man leading java

    Lee Iacoca had $1 per year after becoming CEO of Chrysler (plus
    benefits, I suppose). So $5.75 an hour must seem like a fortune for a
    lowly programmer like Gosling. And since he's Canadian, that's nearly
    $7 where he comes from.

    /gordon

    Gordon Beaton, Sep 13, 2005

    ok, Lee Iacoca has bonus, so how much is Gosling's bonus? 10 million
    USD? I forgot salary means nothing, bonus is the key point.

    , Sep 13, 2005
  15. [OT] Re: James gosling salary

    On 13 Sep 2005 00:29:33 -0700, wrote:
    > ok, Lee Iacoca has bonus, so how much is Gosling's bonus? 10 million
    > USD? I forgot salary means nothing, bonus is the key point.

    He gets 10% off any EOL Sun equipment. What else could he possibly
    want? And 3 weeks vacation!

    /gordon

    Gordon Beaton, Sep 13, 2005

    10% off would be a joke if compare to top management stuff in IBM.
    and those $5.75 USD per hour is incredible. Well, may be he is a pure
    technical person, he wants nothing except technique. But i do believe
    everyone want to buy a ferrari.

    , Sep 13, 2005

    jan V skrev:

    > > Well, if you could get national TV interested in a little Java
    > > programming/debugging, your salary might increase as well.

    > The eighties saw some attempts at TV broadcasting programmes about
    > computing, at least in the UK. Those valiant efforts soon got killed in the
    > ratings wars. I don't think we'll ever again see major TV channels
    > broadcasting any regular programme on computing technology, let alone how to
    > program the beasts. Unless as part of a reality "show"....

    Ahh, how I wish I'd taped some of those programmes. "Making the most of
    the micro," was fantastic. I've rummaged through the darkened, stuffy,
    dripping dungeons of Google for a while looking for re-issues, but to
    no avail.

    ..ed

    , Sep 13, 2005
  18. jan V Guest

    > Ahh, how I wish I'd taped some of those programmes. "Making the most of
    > the micro," was fantastic. I've rummaged through the darkened, stuffy,
    > dripping dungeons of Google for a while looking for re-issues, but to
    > no avail.

    I recently bumped into stacks of very dusty early 80s computer magazines...
    man have we evolved from those days (I'm consciously not using the term
    "progressed").

    jan V, Sep 13, 2005
  19. Re: [OT] Re: James gosling salary

    In article <43267d7f$>, Gordon Beaton <> wrote:
    >On 12 Sep 2005 20:20:29 -0700, wrote:
    >> %5.75USD is not possible for a man leading java

    >... So $5.75 an hour must seem like a fortune for a
    >lowly programmer like Gosling. And since he's Canadian, that's nearly
    >$7 where he comes from.

    Ignoring the ridiculous bit about minimum wage, Gosling has lived in the US
    for over 25 years, and likely doesn't care about the Canadian dollar anymore.

    David Alex Lamb, Sep 13, 2005
  20. Alex Buell Guest

    On Tue, 13 Sep 2005, wrote:

    > 10% off would be a joke if compare to top management stuff in IBM. and
    > those $5.75 USD per hour is incredible. Well, may be he is a pure
    > technical person, he wants nothing except technique. But i do believe
    > everyone want to buy a ferrari.

    I don't. I want an Audi S3 or a S4 convertible. *drool*

    --
    http://www.munted.org.uk

    By the whiskers of Kurvi-Tasch!

    Alex Buell, Sep 13, 2005