James gosling salary

Gordon Beaton

You know James gosling monthly salary? how much sun giving him?

About $5.75 an hour, and he gets a 10% discount on any EOL Sun
hardware he wants to buy.

/gordon

jan V

About $5.75 an hour, and he gets a 10% discount on any EOL Sun
hardware he wants to buy.

Proves the point that we programmers aren't valued as much as we think we
should ! :))

Seriously though, pro footballers can get anything between £50'000 and
£100'000 PER WEEK. For running after an elastic sphere on a grass pitch...
for goodness sake. It just makes your eyes water, doesn't it?

Pete Barrett

Seriously though, pro footballers can get anything between £50'000 and
£100'000 PER WEEK. For running after an elastic sphere on a grass pitch...
for goodness sake. It just makes your eyes water, doesn't it?
Don't forget the sponsorship and advertising deals. When did you last
hear of a programmer being paid to advertise a particular brand of
razor? <g>

Pete Barrett

Roedy Green

When did you last
hear of a programmer being paid to advertise a particular brand of
razor?

Peter Norton once flogged Dewar's Scotch.

John Dvorak surely has a contract for toilet bowl cleaners or
something similar.

Malte

jan said:
Proves the point that we programmers aren't valued as much as we think we
should ! :))

Seriously though, pro footballers can get anything between £50'000 and
£100'000 PER WEEK. For running after an elastic sphere on a grass pitch...
for goodness sake. It just makes your eyes water, doesn't it?

Well, if you could get national TV interested in a little Java
programming/debugging, your salary might increase as well.

jan V

Don't forget the sponsorship and advertising deals. When did you last
hear of a programmer being paid to advertise a particular brand of
razor? <g>

I was thinking of copying that Chinese guy who leased his body as
advertising space... don't know how that would go down in a Western country
though. Police are a bit arsehole-ish with this so-called "war on terror"
nowadays.. I wouldn't like to be shot just because one of my clients
advertised something the police mistook for some statement or other that
doesn't agree with the current political powers.

jan V

Well, if you could get national TV interested in a little Java
programming/debugging, your salary might increase as well.

The eighties saw some attempts at TV broadcasting programmes about
computing, at least in the UK. Those valiant efforts soon got killed in the
ratings wars. I don't think we'll ever again see major TV channels
broadcasting any regular programme on computing technology, let alone how to
program the beasts. Unless as part of a reality "show"....

cmk128

Gordon Beaton 寫é“:
About $5.75 an hour, and he gets a 10% discount on any EOL Sun
hardware he wants to buy.

/gordon

%5.75USD is not possible for a man leading java

Joan

Gordon Beaton 寫é“:
About $5.75 an hour, and he gets a 10% discount on any EOL Sun
hardware he wants to buy.

/gordon
%5.75USD is not possible for a man leading java

Depends on the state, IL has minimum wage of $6.50
but in IN it is $5.15

Antti S. Brax

Proves the point that we programmers aren't valued as much as we think we
should ! :))

Seriously though, pro footballers can get anything between £50'000 and
£100'000 PER WEEK. For running after an elastic sphere on a grass pitch...
for goodness sake. It just makes your eyes water, doesn't it?

But those people actually are _really_ _good_ in what they do.
In the software industry, the programmers, who are on the same
level as those professional footballers are in their field of
expertise, write their own killer apps and then sell them to
eBay for $3 billion.

So, the next time your boss talks about teamwork remind him that
you're all just mediocre players and one can't expect to win the
UEFA Champions League with a mediocre team. :)

Gordon Beaton

%5.75USD is not possible for a man leading java

Lee Iacoca had $1 per year after becoming CEO of Chrysler (plus
benefits, I suppose). So $5.75 an hour must seem like a fortune for a
lowly programmer like Gosling. And since he's Canadian, that's nearly
$7 where he comes from.

/gordon

cmk128

ok, Lee Iacoca has bonus, so how much is Gosling's bonus? 10 million
USD? I forgot salary means nothing, bonus is the key point.

Gordon Beaton

ok, Lee Iacoca has bonus, so how much is Gosling's bonus? 10 million
USD? I forgot salary means nothing, bonus is the key point.

He gets 10% off any EOL Sun equipment. What else could he possibly
want? And 3 weeks vacation!

/gordon

cmk128

10% off would be a joke if compare to top management stuff in IBM.
and those $5.75 USD per hour is incredible. Well, may be he is a pure
technical person, he wants nothing except technique. But i do believe
everyone want to buy a ferrari.

iamfractal

jan V skrev:
The eighties saw some attempts at TV broadcasting programmes about
computing, at least in the UK. Those valiant efforts soon got killed in the
ratings wars. I don't think we'll ever again see major TV channels
broadcasting any regular programme on computing technology, let alone how to
program the beasts. Unless as part of a reality "show"....

Ahh, how I wish I'd taped some of those programmes. "Making the most of
the micro," was fantastic. I've rummaged through the darkened, stuffy,
dripping dungeons of Google for a while looking for re-issues, but to
no avail.

..ed

jan V

Ahh, how I wish I'd taped some of those programmes. "Making the most of
the micro," was fantastic. I've rummaged through the darkened, stuffy,
dripping dungeons of Google for a while looking for re-issues, but to
no avail.

I recently bumped into stacks of very dusty early 80s computer magazines...
man have we evolved from those days (I'm consciously not using the term
"progressed").

David Alex Lamb

... So $5.75 an hour must seem like a fortune for a
lowly programmer like Gosling. And since he's Canadian, that's nearly
$7 where he comes from.

Ignoring the ridiculous bit about minimum wage, Gosling has lived in the US
for over 25 years, and likely doesn't care about the Canadian dollar anymore.

Alex Buell

10% off would be a joke if compare to top management stuff in IBM. and
those $5.75 USD per hour is incredible. Well, may be he is a pure
technical person, he wants nothing except technique. But i do believe
everyone want to buy a ferrari.

I don't. I want an Audi S3 or a S4 convertible. *drool*