    They all have network drives on the server. is there any way to run it
    from there?

    Thanx in advance for any light shed on this.

    Handmade, Feb 12, 2007

  2. Handmade wrote on 12.02.2007 22:56:
    > Hey folks. I don't know much about java, which leads to having the
    > following issue.
    >
    > I am a computer administrator for a school in which some students take
    > a java programming course. I am being told that these students need
    > administrative rights to the machine in order to run the program,
    > compile anything they have made etc.

    Whoever told you that was wrong.

    You might need Admin rights to install the JDK and the IDE (depending on the IDE
    and the location where you install it). But at least NetBeans runs fine with a
    non-Admin Account even if NetBeans itself is installed in a protected directory
    (e.g. c:\Program Files). I'm pretty sure Eclipse does not need Admin rights to
    run as well.

    Thomas

    Thomas Kellerer, Feb 12, 2007

  3. Handmade

    Handmade Guest

    On Feb 12, 6:14 pm, Thomas Kellerer <>
    wrote:
    > Handmade wrote on 12.02.2007 22:56:> Hey folks. I don't know much about java, which leads to having the
    > > following issue.

    > > I am a computer administrator for a school in which some students take
    > > a java programming course. I am being told that these students need
    > > administrative rights to the machine in order to run the program,
    > > compile anything they have made etc.

    > Whoever told you that was wrong.
    >
    > You might need Admin rights to install the JDK and the IDE (depending on the IDE
    > and the location where you install it). But at least NetBeans runs fine with a
    > non-Admin Account even if NetBeans itself is installed in a protected directory
    > (e.g. c:\Program Files). I'm pretty sure Eclipse does not need Admin rights to
    > run as well.
    >
    > Thomas

    okay the one we are running is JSDK version 1.4.2_10

    so your saying once it is installed, anyone should be able to use it
    and compile without any special rights?

    Handmade, Feb 12, 2007
  4. Handmade

    Mickey Segal Guest

    "Handmade" <> wrote in message
    > so your saying once it is installed, anyone should be able to use it
    > and compile without any special rights?

    Which operating system and version are you using? With the Vista lockdown
    all sorts of new problems are coming up.

    Mickey Segal, Feb 12, 2007
  5. Handmade

    Handmade Guest

    On Feb 12, 6:49 pm, "Mickey Segal" <> wrote:
    > "Handmade" <> wrote in message

    > > so your saying once it is installed, anyone should be able to use it
    > > and compile without any special rights?

    > Which operating system and version are you using? With the Vista lockdown
    > all sorts of new problems are coming up.

    Windows XP SP2

    Handmade, Feb 12, 2007
  6. Handmade

    John T Guest

    Handmade wrote:
    > On Feb 12, 6:49 pm, "Mickey Segal" <> wrote:
    >> "Handmade" <> wrote in message

    >>> so your saying once it is installed, anyone should be able to use it
    >>> and compile without any special rights?

    >> Which operating system and version are you using? With the Vista lockdown
    >> all sorts of new problems are coming up.

    > Windows XP SP2

    I would think that as long as your students have read/write access to
    the directories they are working in they shouldn't have any problems.
    For example, in the shop I work in, everyone has a chunk of disk space
    assigned to them which they have full control over. Even people without
    admin rights can run Eclipse and work on projects as long as they keep
    their workspace in their own area. The only problem they *may*
    encounter is if they are pushed out of the IDE and onto the commandline
    where they have to put jar files in the correct locations for their
    CLASSPATH to pick them up.

    John T, Feb 12, 2007
  7. Handmade

    Handmade Guest

    On Feb 12, 7:38 pm, John T <> wrote:
    > Handmade wrote:
    > > On Feb 12, 6:49 pm, "Mickey Segal" <> wrote:
    > >> "Handmade" <> wrote in message

    > >> Which operating system and version are you using? With the Vista lockdown
    > >> all sorts of new problems are coming up.

    > > Windows XP SP2

    > I would think that as long as your students have read/write access to
    > the directories they are working in they shouldn't have any problems.
    > For example, in the shop I work in, everyone has a chunk of disk space
    > assigned to them which they have full control over. Even people without
    > admin rights can run Eclipse and work on projects as long as they keep
    > their workspace in their own area. The only problem they *may*
    > encounter is if they are pushed out of the IDE and onto the commandline
    > where they have to put jar files in the correct locations for their
    > CLASSPATH to pick them up.

    okay. so it will work with a network drive as well?

    say i setup a network drive X:\ for them. gave them 50 MB of space,
    and full control over that drive. They could develop, compile,or
    anything they needed to do in that drive barring any CLASSPATH
    problems?

    BTW i appreciate everyones input on this. very enlightening.

    Handmade, Feb 12, 2007
  8. Handmade

    Oliver Wong Guest

    "Handmade" <> wrote in message
    > On Feb 12, 7:38 pm, John T <> wrote:
    >> Handmade wrote:

    >> > Windows XP SP2

    >> I would think that as long as your students have read/write access to
    >> the directories they are working in they shouldn't have any problems.
    >> For example, in the shop I work in, everyone has a chunk of disk space
    >> assigned to them which they have full control over. Even people without
    >> admin rights can run Eclipse and work on projects as long as they keep
    >> their workspace in their own area. The only problem they *may*
    >> encounter is if they are pushed out of the IDE and onto the commandline
    >> where they have to put jar files in the correct locations for their
    >> CLASSPATH to pick them up.

    > okay. so it will work with a network drive as well?
    >
    > say i setup a network drive X:\ for them. gave them 50 MB of space,
    > and full control over that drive. They could develop, compile,or
    > anything they needed to do in that drive barring any CLASSPATH
    > problems?

    I believe the answer is yes. And even then, any classpath problems that
    might arise are probably surmountable. CLASSPATH is an environment variable
    (like the PATH environment variable), and I believe non-admin users can
    change their own set of environment variables without affecting other users
    or the rest of the system.

    I don't know what kind of programs the instructor will want the students
    to have access to, but it's not unusual for an introductory Java course to
    rely on nothing more than notepad.exe, "C:\Program
    Files\Java\jdk1.6.0\bin\java.exe" and "C:\Program
    Files\Java\jdk1.6.0\bin\javac.exe" (where the "jdk1.6.0" part might vary
    depending on which version of Java the instructor intends to use). As long
    as the students have read (but not write) access to "C:\Program Files\Java"
    and all its subdirectories, it should all work fine.

    - Oliver

    Oliver Wong, Feb 13, 2007
  9. On Feb 14, 3:57 am, "Oliver Wong" <> wrote:
    > ..but it's not unusual for an introductory Java course to
    > rely on nothing more than notepad.exe, ..

    (snip other things)

    (shudder) A Java editor that lacks
    context coloring for keywords & strings
    etc. I eschew many of the abilities of
    the heavyweight IDE's, but could not bear
    programming without a few colors to
    indicate a mistyped a core class name.

    At least give the students something
    like TextPad! Learning Java is not
    supposed to be *painful*.

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Feb 13, 2007
  10. Handmade

    Daniel Pitts Guest

    On Feb 13, 9:11 am, "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote:
    > On Feb 14, 3:57 am, "Oliver Wong" <> wrote:
    > ..> ..but it's not unusual for an introductory Java course to
    > > rely on nothing more than notepad.exe, ..

    > (snip other things)
    >
    > (shudder) A Java editor that lacks
    > context coloring for keywords & strings
    > etc. I eschew many of the abilities of
    > the heavyweight IDE's, but could not bear
    > programming without a few colors to
    > indicate a mistyped a core class name.
    >
    > At least give the students something
    > like TextPad! Learning Java is not
    > supposed to be *painful*.
    >
    > Andrew T.

    Force'em to use vi or emacs with highlighting turned off and a console
    size of 25x10

    Daniel Pitts, Feb 14, 2007
  11. Handmade

    Guest

    On Feb 14, 4:11 am, "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote:

    > I eschew many of the abilities of the heavyweight IDE's

    Zeus has many of the features of an full blown IDE yet
    still feels like a lightweight editor:

    http://www.zeusedit.com/featues.html

    It does your regulation syntax highlighting, code folding,
    integrated version control, project/workspace, class
    browsing etc, yet maintains fast load times and keyboard
    responsiveness.

    You can even integrated Java SDK help directly into
    the editor:

    http://www.zeusedit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10

    Jussi Jumppanen
    Author: Zeus for Windows IDE

    , Feb 15, 2007
  12. Handmade

    Ian Wilson Guest

    wrote:
    > On Feb 14, 4:11 am, "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote:
    >

    >>I eschew many of the abilities of the heavyweight IDE's

    > Zeus has many of the features of an full blown IDE yet
    > still feels like a lightweight editor:
    >

    > http://www.zeusedit.com/featues.html

    404

    I think you meant <http://www.zeusedit.com/features.html>

    Ian Wilson, Feb 16, 2007
  13. Handmade

    JussiJ Guest

    On Feb 16, 8:29 pm, Ian Wilson <> wrote:

    > I think you meant <http://www.zeusedit.com/features.html>

    I never have been any good at typing ;)

    Cheers Jussi

    JussiJ, Feb 28, 2007