Java IDE for Windows 98?

Arne Vajhøj

H.L said:
Can any of you recommend a Java development environment for an older
Windows 98 machine? I have tried several products including Eclipse and
Netbeans, but they seemed to heavy for this system and none of the
others have really worked.

Either get an IDE from the same time (like JBuilder 4-5-6).

Or go for an editor instead. Example: JEdit (www.jedit.org).

Arne

H.L

Can any of you recommend a Java development environment for an older
Windows 98 machine? I have tried several products including Eclipse and
Netbeans, but they seemed to heavy for this system and none of the
others have really worked. Thanks in advance.

Roedy Green

Can any of you recommend a Java development environment for an older
Windows 98 machine? I have tried several products including Eclipse and
Netbeans, but they seemed to heavy for this system and none of the
others have really worked. Thanks in advance.

See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/ide.html

BlueJ might work. It is designed for students.

Casey Hawthorne

H.L said:
Can any of you recommend a Java development environment for an older
Windows 98 machine? I have tried several products including Eclipse and
Netbeans, but they seemed to heavy for this system and none of the
others have really worked. Thanks in advance.

Must you use Windows 98?

It might be possible to use Xubuntu Linux (which is a much more modern
O/S for memory restricted machines) and BlueJ.

deepak

go for EditPlus and it is freely available on net. Will help you for
sure . Its very light.

Arne Vajhøj

Roedy said:
See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/ide.html

BlueJ might work. It is designed for students.

Unfortunately there is a huge risk that he will end up
rather helpless.

I have seen so many BlueJ users that could not do even
simple things because BlueJ did not have the function and
they did not understand what BlueJ did behind the scene.

Arne

TechBookReport

H.L said:
Can any of you recommend a Java development environment for an older
Windows 98 machine? I have tried several products including Eclipse and
Netbeans, but they seemed to heavy for this system and none of the
others have really worked. Thanks in advance.

Have you considered jCreator? Fairly light-weight but powerful, and
there's a classic version for Win 98. There's a review here:
http://www.techbookreport.com/tbr0173.html

Download from: http://www.jcreator.com/

Pan