Java, Linux, Tomcat and MySql, does that match ?

Thierry

Hello all,

I use to develop J2EE application (allmost servlets) using Websphere and
DB2 on AIX (for production). I'm satisfied but this has a big cost...

So now I'm looking at Linux, Tomcat and MySql. Does one of you guys has
an experience using them on production ? A friend of mine told me his
enterprise uses those softwares in Intranet production. Therefore that
is the limit ?...

Thx, Thierry.

Manish Jethani

Thierry said:
I use to develop J2EE application (allmost servlets) using Websphere and
DB2 on AIX (for production). I'm satisfied but this has a big cost...

So now I'm looking at Linux, Tomcat and MySql. Does one of you guys has
an experience using them on production ? A friend of mine told me his
enterprise uses those softwares in Intranet production. Therefore that
is the limit ?...

mysql is supposed to be extremely fast for read-intensive
databases, but I'm not sure if it scales well for scenarios
where there are a lot of writes happening. If all your
application does is fetch data and display it to the user, then
mysql is the way to go.

<URL:http://linux-bangalore.org/meetings/200305/minutes.php>

I don't know much about Tomcat. Linux is supercool, but you
might also want to consider FreeBSD
<URL:http://www.google.com/search?q=freebsd+versus+linux>

You can also look at Oracle 9iAS Java Edition, but I doubt you
want to do that for a servlets-only app.

-Manish

Bruce Lewis

Thierry said:
I use to develop J2EE application (allmost servlets) using Websphere
and DB2 on AIX (for production). I'm satisfied but this has a big
cost...

So now I'm looking at Linux, Tomcat and MySql.

If you're used to a real database like DB2, you'll be a lot better off
with PostgreSQL than MySQL. You'll likely also find Jetty more
performant than Tomcat.