    enterprise uses those softwares in Intranet production. Therefore that
    is the limit ?...

    Thx, Thierry.

    Thierry, Jul 26, 2003

  2. Thierry wrote:

    > I use to develop J2EE application (allmost servlets) using Websphere and
    > DB2 on AIX (for production). I'm satisfied but this has a big cost...
    >
    > So now I'm looking at Linux, Tomcat and MySql. Does one of you guys has
    > an experience using them on production ? A friend of mine told me his
    > enterprise uses those softwares in Intranet production. Therefore that
    > is the limit ?...

    mysql is supposed to be extremely fast for read-intensive
    databases, but I'm not sure if it scales well for scenarios
    where there are a lot of writes happening. If all your
    application does is fetch data and display it to the user, then
    mysql is the way to go.

    <URL:http://linux-bangalore.org/meetings/200305/minutes.php>

    I don't know much about Tomcat. Linux is supercool, but you
    might also want to consider FreeBSD
    <URL:http://www.google.com/search?q=freebsd+versus+linux>

    You can also look at Oracle 9iAS Java Edition, but I doubt you
    want to do that for a servlets-only app.

    -Manish

    --
    Manish Jethani (manish.j at gmx.net)
    phone (work) +91-80-51073488

    Manish Jethani, Jul 27, 2003

  3. Thierry

    Bruce Lewis Guest

    Thierry <> writes:

    > I use to develop J2EE application (allmost servlets) using Websphere
    > and DB2 on AIX (for production). I'm satisfied but this has a big
    > cost...
    >
    > So now I'm looking at Linux, Tomcat and MySql.

    If you're used to a real database like DB2, you'll be a lot better off
    with PostgreSQL than MySQL. You'll likely also find Jetty more
    performant than Tomcat.

    --
    "Notwithstanding fervent argument that patent protection is essential
    for the growth of the software industry, commentators have noted

    Bruce Lewis, Jul 28, 2003