Java update problem

Ed

A few days ago Java installed on my machine, an update "jre1.5.0_09". I then
deleted what I thought was an earlied version - "jdk1.5.0_06". Now my Java
programs work OK but I can not compile - it says "javac is not recognized as
an internal or exernal command, operable program or batch file."

Any one have any ideas on what i did wrong and how to correct - please?

frank

Hi Ed,

It appears to me that you got the latest JRE (Java Runtime Environment)
and deleted your copy of JDK (Java Development Kit). The JDK is what
has the javac compiler associated with it. You'll have to go download
the latest copy of the JDK (or any other version you prefer) to get
your compiler back.

Good Luck,
Frank

John W. Kennedy

Ed said:
A few days ago Java installed on my machine, an update "jre1.5.0_09". I then
deleted what I thought was an earlied version - "jdk1.5.0_06". Now my Java
programs work OK but I can not compile - it says "javac is not recognized as
an internal or exernal command, operable program or batch file."

Any one have any ideas on what i did wrong and how to correct - please?

You have been told that your problem is that you installed the Java
Runtime to replace the Java Developer's Kit, and that is true.

But it is also true that installing a new Java Developer's Kit will not
update the PATH environment variable in Windows XP, which you seem to be
using. You must go to
Start->Control Panel->Performance and Maintenance->System, pick the
Advanced tab, hit the Environment Variables button, and edit the PATH
item to point to the new directory.

javajedi

Ed yazdi:
A few days ago Java installed on my machine, an update "jre1.5.0_09". I then
deleted what I thought was an earlied version - "jdk1.5.0_06". Now my Java
programs work OK but I can not compile - it says "javac is not recognized as
an internal or exernal command, operable program or batch file."

Any one have any ideas on what i did wrong and how to correct - please?

As John implied you should probably delete java compiler from Windows
PATH Enviroment. If you add the directory of jdk to this path, you
should compile your java codes.