Java versions, acronyms and names

rob@codebox

I've been confused for a while now about the names, acronyms and
version numbers that Sun chose for the various releases of Java, there
seems to be little consistency about how things change from one release
to the next. Anyway, I've done a little research and attempted to
summarise things - maybe someone will find this useful:

http://codebox.no-ip.net/controller?page=article.JavaVersions

comments welcome, tell me if you find a mistake!

rob@codebox

Lew

rob@codebox said:
I've been confused for a while now about the names, acronyms and
version numbers that Sun chose for the various releases of Java, there
seems to be little consistency about how things change from one release
to the next. Anyway, I've done a little research and attempted to
summarise things - maybe someone will find this useful:

http://codebox.no-ip.net/controller?page=article.JavaVersions

Or you could read up on what Sun has to say on the topic:
<http://java.sun.com/javase/namechange.html>

- Lew