Java Web Start does not launch application

Lionel van den Berg

Hi,

I have some desktop configuration problem (perhaps).

When I try to launch java web start applications I get the "Java
starting..." splash screen, but eventually it closes and the app is
not launched. For example, this behaviour is observed for
http://argouml.tigris.org/.

This only occurs for applications that I am launching from a web page
somewhere. I have a JWS app that I wrote on a network drive and I can
run that one fine.

I asked a colleague to try launching argo and his worked fine, so that
seems to rule out some network or firewall issue.

Any ideas on what might be causing this behaviour?

Thanks

Lionel.

John B. Matthews

Lionel van den Berg said:
Hi,

I have some desktop configuration problem (perhaps).

When I try to launch java web start applications I get the "Java
starting..." splash screen, but eventually it closes and the app is
not launched. For example, this behaviour is observed for
http://argouml.tigris.org/.

This only occurs for applications that I am launching from a web page
somewhere. I have a JWS app that I wrote on a network drive and I can
run that one fine.

I asked a colleague to try launching argo and his worked fine, so that
seems to rule out some network or firewall issue.

Might the two computers be on different network segments or have
different host firewall settings?
Any ideas on what might be causing this behaviour?

Can you download _any_ JWS form the net? Here's a minimal example:

<http://trashgod.googlepages.com/Subway.jnlp>

For reference, argouml-latest-stable.jnlp specifies Java 1.5+ and
all-permissions. It also downloads a large number of auxiliary jars.

On Mac OS X 10.4.11, Java 1.5, using JWS, ArgoUML launches, but
initialization fails to progress. In contrast, the convenient Mac
application bundle runs fine:

<http://argouml-downloads.tigris.org/nonav/argouml-0.26/ArgoUML-0.26.app.
tgz>

I note that the application bundle specifies a larger than default
maximum Java heap size: -Xmx512m.

none

John said:
Might the two computers be on different network segments or have
different host firewall settings?

Can you download _any_ JWS form the net?

I tried some of the swing examples from java.sun.com and they didn't
work either.

I'll give it ago when I'm back at work.
For reference, argouml-latest-stable.jnlp specifies Java 1.5+ and
all-permissions. It also downloads a large number of auxiliary jars.

I'm using 1.6.07 on Win XP

On Mac OS X 10.4.11, Java 1.5, using JWS, ArgoUML launches, but
initialization fails to progress. In contrast, the convenient Mac
application bundle runs fine:

<http://argouml-downloads.tigris.org/nonav/argouml-0.26/ArgoUML-0.26.app.
tgz>

Yeah, I got the windows equivalent version running too, but I like the
JWS option.

I note that the application bundle specifies a larger than default
maximum Java heap size: -Xmx512m.

Don't imagine that is a problem?

Thanks

Lionel.

Lionel van den Berg

Might the two computers be on different network segments or have
different host firewall settings?

Can you download _any_ JWS form the net? Here's a minimal example:

<http://trashgod.googlepages.com/Subway.jnlp>

This doesn't work either. It all seems to be going fine until the Java
splash screen disappears and nothing happens. No entries added in the
Java Control Panel either :(.

Lionel.

John B. Matthews

Lionel van den Berg said:
This doesn't work either. It all seems to be going fine until the Java
splash screen disappears and nothing happens. No entries added in the
Java Control Panel either :(.

Does the jar get as far as your JWS cache? On my system it's named
"RMSubway.jar".

Lionel van den Berg

Does the jar get as far as your JWS cache? On my system it's named
"RMSubway.jar".

I'm not entirely sure where the cache is? Under the cache viewer in
"Resources" there is nothing resembling Subway or even any argo jars
for that matter.

Lionel.

John B. Matthews

Lionel van den Berg said:
I'm not entirely sure where the cache is? Under the cache viewer in
"Resources" there is nothing resembling Subway or even any argo jars
for that matter.

My implementation has a "Java Preferences" application that lets one
manage the cache, but I just used find.

Can you use the jar or applet links? That might suggest whether your
local firewall allows jars run-time environment is OK:

<http://sites.google.com/site/drjohnbmatthews/subway>

Lionel van den Berg

My implementation has a "Java Preferences" application that lets one
manage the cache, but I just used find.

Can you use the jar or applet links? That might suggest whether your
local firewall allows jars run-time environment is OK:

They work fine. No one else in the office has the same problem and all
machines are setup the same as far as the base windows install and
networking configuration is concerned.

Thanks

Lionel.

Roedy Green

When I try to launch java web start applications I get the "Java
starting..." splash screen, but eventually it closes and the app is
not launched. For example, this behaviour is observed for
http://argouml.tigris.org/.

This only occurs for applications that I am launching from a web page
somewhere. I have a JWS app that I wrote on a network drive and I can
run that one fine.

I had this problem. Reinstalling Vista and Java solved it.