Java Web Start

DennyOR

I'm developing an internet application in which the client runs as a java
applet. My reasons for making the client an applet are so that no program
installation is required (just the sun java plug-in has to be installed) and
so that the user always runs the latest version of the application.

I received a suggestion (from Andrew) that I consider converting my client
to a JWS (Java Web Start) application. Before I head down that path I was
wondering if anyone who has had experience with JWS could advise me on
whether they think that would be a smart move -- what are the advantages and
disadvantages of working with JWS?

Thanks,
Denny

Andrew Thompson

DennyOR said:
I'm developing an internet application .. ...
I received a suggestion (from Andrew) ..

Well (chuckles) I[1] could go 'on and on (and on..)' about the
marvels of webstart, but I presume you mean you want advice
from 'other people as well'.

Let me know if you'd like to see any particular types
of deployment, I have a variety of neat examples for viewing.

[1] Unless, of course, you are referring to any of the other
persons who post to this forum who share the same first name.
In which case I'll look a right prat, but will then feel free
to 'go and on (and on..)' about webstart. ;-)