JavaRanch?

Rhino

Am I the only one having trouble posting to the newsgroups in the JavaRanch
"Saloon"?

I registered an ID at JavaRanch and used it successfully *once* to post a
question on the J2ME newsgroup. However, every other time I've tried to use
this ID, it tells me that I have logged in (apparently successfully), tries
to transfer me to the appropriate page, then dumps me back on the thread
list and tells me that I am NOT logged and must register/login. I've had
this experience several times over several days always with the same result.
I even tried registering another ID but this time I was unable to post even
once. I used their "Contact Us" link to send them an email asking what I
needed to do but they have not yet replied and it has been several days now.

Is there some kind of trick to signing on with these people? Frankly, I'm
just about fed up with this nonsense by now but they have one of the very
few J2ME newsgroups that is active so I would REALLY like to be able to post
to it.

I know that their forums are still alive because I see new posts arriving
their regularly. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to post to them
besides what I've already done? I suspect it may be a browser setting of
some kind but I don't know which one.

--
Rhino
---

Rhino

Sorry, please ignore my post about JavaRanch. It turns out that I can get
into their forums easily from Opera. I must have originally registered with
them when I was using Opera and they must have set a cookie there; no wonder
I had trouble accessing them in IE when the cookie was in a place known only
to Opera.... I thought I'd registered from IE so I couldn't understand why I
couldn't post any more.

Sorry to waste your time with this.

Rhino

Michael Borgwardt

Rhino said:
Am I the only one having trouble posting to the newsgroups in the JavaRanch
"Saloon"?

I registered an ID at JavaRanch and used it successfully *once* to post a
question on the J2ME newsgroup. However, every other time I've tried to use
this ID, it tells me that I have logged in (apparently successfully), tries
to transfer me to the appropriate page, then dumps me back on the thread
list and tells me that I am NOT logged and must register/login. I've had
this experience several times over several days always with the same result.

Sounds to me like the forum requires activated cookies to recognize your
"looged in" status, and you have cookies deactivated/blocked for that site.

Chris Smith

Rhino said:
Am I the only one having trouble posting to the newsgroups in the JavaRanch
"Saloon"?

AFAIK, JavaRanch doesn't have newsgroups. They have a web forum for any
of a bunch of topics, but if they now make those fora accessible via
NNTP, that's news to me.

You may find that many people who read Java newsgroups (including me)
have a very poor opinion of JavaRanch. This is mainly because as they
were getting started, advocates of JavaRanch would frequently post
insulting and rude messages to newsgroups. These messages generally
took the form of "you won't get an answer here, but go ask at
JavaRanch".

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

William Brogden

AFAIK, JavaRanch doesn't have newsgroups. They have a web forum for any
of a bunch of topics, but if they now make those fora accessible via
NNTP, that's news to me.

You may find that many people who read Java newsgroups (including me)
have a very poor opinion of JavaRanch. This is mainly because as they
were getting started, advocates of JavaRanch would frequently post
insulting and rude messages to newsgroups. These messages generally
took the form of "you won't get an answer here, but go ask at
JavaRanch".

Dear me! You are missing a great resource. I think it is safe to say
that you will get a better quality of answer there with less insulting
than your typical newsgroup. The breakdown of topics is much more
detailed than the comp.lang.java.* possibilities and I see many more
Java book authors there than on the newsgroups.
Bill

Chris Uppal

William said:
Chris Smith wrote:
You may find that many people who read Java newsgroups (including me)
have a very poor opinion of JavaRanch. [...]

Dear me! You are missing a great resource.

The boot's on the other foot if you ask me.

-- chris

P.S. William, I e-mailed a copy of this directly to you instead of to the
group. I pressed the wrong button, sorry !

Chris Smith

William said:
Dear me! You are missing a great resource. I think it is safe to say
that you will get a better quality of answer there with less insulting
than your typical newsgroup. The breakdown of topics is much more
detailed than the comp.lang.java.* possibilities and I see many more
Java book authors there than on the newsgroups.

Then go post there.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation