javascript to disable the title bar, status bar, and address bar of a window

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Matt, Aug 20, 2004.

  1. Matt

    Matt Guest

    I want to disable the title bar, status bar and address bar of a
    window, but I couldn't find the syntax. I tried the following but not
    working. any ideas??

    window.document.statusbar.enable = false;
    window.document.titlebar.enable = false;
    window.document.addressbar.enable = false;

    <title>hey</title>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    function changetitle()
    {
    alert(window.document.title);
    window.document.title = "heyhey";
    window.document.statusbar.enable = false;
    alert(window.document.title);
    }
    </script>
    Matt, Aug 20, 2004

  2. Matt

    Randy Webb Guest

    Re: javascript to disable the title bar, status bar, and addressbar of a window

    Matt wrote:
    > I want to disable the title bar, status bar and address bar of a
    > window, but I couldn't find the syntax. I tried the following but not
    > working. any ideas??

    Yes. Stop trying to hide something JS has no control over (unless it
    opens a new window).

    --
    Randy
    Randy Webb, Aug 21, 2004

  3. Matt wrote:

    > I want to disable the title bar, status bar and address bar of a
    > window, but I couldn't find the syntax. I tried the following but not
    > working. any ideas??
    >
    > window.document.statusbar.enable = false;
    > window.document.titlebar.enable = false;
    > window.document.addressbar.enable = false;

    Remove ".document" and replace "enable" with "visible" to make it work
    in Netscape 6.x (IIRC) and some Mozilla/5.0 nightly builds. Except of
    the title bar, which only the window manager has control over.
    "addressbar" must be "locationbar" then. Using signed scripts you may
    request the UniversalBrowserWrite privilege to modify the properties in
    recent Mozilla/5.0, too.

    PointedEars
    --
    Come on down to the store, you can buy some more and more and more and more
    (Sonic Youth)
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Aug 21, 2004
  4. Matt

    Matt Guest

    > Yes. Stop trying to hide something JS has no control over (unless it
    > opens a new window).

    so do you know some workarounds to my problem? thanks
    Matt, Aug 21, 2004
  5. Matt

    Lee Guest

    Matt said:

    >> Yes. Stop trying to hide something JS has no control over (unless it
    >> opens a new window).

    >so do you know some workarounds to my problem? thanks

    You haven't told us what the problem is.
    You've asked how to do some things that you shouldn't be trying to do.
    What problem are you trying to solve?
    Lee, Aug 21, 2004
  6. "Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Matt wrote:
    >
    > > I want to disable the title bar, status bar and address bar of a
    > > window, but I couldn't find the syntax. I tried the following but not
    > > working. any ideas??
    > >
    > > window.document.statusbar.enable = false;
    > > window.document.titlebar.enable = false;
    > > window.document.addressbar.enable = false;

    > Remove ".document" and replace "enable" with "visible" to make it work
    > in Netscape 6.x (IIRC) and some Mozilla/5.0 nightly builds. Except of
    > the title bar, which only the window manager has control over.
    > "addressbar" must be "locationbar" then. Using signed scripts you may
    > request the UniversalBrowserWrite privilege to modify the properties in
    > recent Mozilla/5.0, too.
    >

    > PointedEars
    > --
    > Come on down to the store, you can buy some more and more and more and more
    > (Sonic Youth)

    It's always a pleasure to read a response which answers the question. Even if
    it is not exhaustive. It's much better then, "don't."

    GH
    George Hester, Aug 21, 2004
  7. George Hester wrote:

    > "Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn" <> wrote in message

    Please do not write so-called "attribution novels". The name of the
    precursor's author is sufficient to follow the discussion. The e-mail
    address in the From header is often of little use as it is used as a
    spam(mer) trap (could be a tarpit and the like; as opposed to one in
    the Reply-To header). The message ID of the precursor is contained in
    the References header of the followup. Two or more lines interfere
    with flow of reading, especially with several quotation levels.

    >> Remove ".document" and replace "enable" with "visible" to make it work
    >> in Netscape 6.x (IIRC) and some Mozilla/5.0 nightly builds. Except of
    >> the title bar, which only the window manager has control over.
    >> "addressbar" must be "locationbar" then. Using signed scripts you may
    >> request the UniversalBrowserWrite privilege to modify the properties in
    >> recent Mozilla/5.0, too.
    >> [...]

    > It's always a pleasure to read a response which answers the question.
    > Even if it is not exhaustive. It's much better then, "don't."

    Actually, if you read it thoroughly, it *was* a "don't" :)

    PointedEars

    P.S.: Please trim your quotes (to the parts you are referring to).
    --
    "95% of success is showing up."
    -- Mark Twain
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Aug 21, 2004
  8. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Matt wrote:
    >
    > > I want to disable the title bar, status bar and address bar of a
    > > window, but I couldn't find the syntax. I tried the following but not
    > > working. any ideas??
    > >
    > > window.document.statusbar.enable = false;
    > > window.document.titlebar.enable = false;
    > > window.document.addressbar.enable = false;

    > Remove ".document" and replace "enable" with "visible" to make it work
    > in Netscape 6.x (IIRC) and some Mozilla/5.0 nightly builds. Except of
    > the title bar, which only the window manager has control over.
    > "addressbar" must be "locationbar" then. Using signed scripts you may
    > request the UniversalBrowserWrite privilege to modify the properties in
    > recent Mozilla/5.0, too.

    Unfortunately, I only want to make it work in IE, not Netscape. I
    tried the following but it didn't work in IE.

    window.statusbar.visible = false;
    Matt, Aug 22, 2004
  9. Matt wrote:

    > Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <> wrote in message

    Please do not write attribution novels.

    >> Remove ".document" and replace "enable" with "visible" to make it work

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >> in Netscape 6.x (IIRC) and some Mozilla/5.0 nightly builds. [...]

    > Unfortunately, I only want to make it work in IE, not Netscape. I
    > tried the following but it didn't work in IE.
    >
    > window.statusbar.visible = false;

    Since you appear to have problems with reading, I have marked what is
    important here.

    PointedEars
    --
    Go play leapfrog with a herd of unicorns!
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Aug 23, 2004
  10. Matt

    kaeli Guest

    In article <>,
    enlightened us with...
    > > Matt wrote:
    > >
    > > > I want to disable the title bar, status bar and address bar of a
    > > > window, but I couldn't find the syntax. I tried the following but not
    > > > working. any ideas??
    > > >

    > Unfortunately, I only want to make it work in IE, not Netscape. I
    > tried the following but it didn't work in IE.

    If this is for an intranet application, CD app, or something else you know
    your users for, use an HTA. (html application)
    IE / Windows only.
    This gives you MUCH more control over the interface. It is not suitable for
    internet use, however.

    HTH

    ~kaeli~
    Shotgun wedding: A case of wife or death.
    http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
    http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace
    kaeli, Aug 23, 2004