    in locating one,

    Thank's for your help
    Niall

    nialltimpson, Feb 20, 2005

  2. nialltimpson

    Tom Dyess Guest

    "nialltimpson" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Im adding simple mail featurs to an app im writeing using java mail
    > libiary, and it was all going fine and dandy, untill I realised "dam i
    > dont have a SMTP host", So here I am....
    >
    > I would really appreceateif anyone could guide me in the right direction
    > in locating one,
    >
    > Thank's for your help
    > Niall

    You can try to use the smtp server that you use to send email, but they
    probably won't let you relay, so you'll have to send the messages as
    yourself (your email) as well as send authentication information. If you
    want to host your own smtp, you'll have to open port 25 and install
    sendmail/qmail for *nix or Exchange/M-Daemon for Windows.

    --
    Tom Dyess
    OraclePower.com

    Tom Dyess, Feb 21, 2005

  3. nialltimpson

    Roland Guest

    On 21-2-2005 0:09, nialltimpson wrote:

    > Im adding simple mail featurs to an app im writeing using java mail
    > libiary, and it was all going fine and dandy, untill I realised "dam i
    > dont have a SMTP host", So here I am....
    >
    > I would really appreceateif anyone could guide me in the right direction
    > in locating one,
    >
    > Thank's for your help
    > Niall

    You could install a local mail server and test against that. And if you
    want an all Java SMTP, POP3 and NNTP server, you could use Apache James
    <http://james.apache.org/>. Don't know for the most recent version, but
    James 2.1.3 requires less than 8Mb disk space on my system.
    --
    Regards,

    Roland de Ruiter
    ___ ___
    /__/ w_/ /__/
    / \ /_/ / \

    Roland, Feb 21, 2005
  4. nialltimpson

    Tom Dyess Guest

    "Roland" <> wrote in message
    > On 21-2-2005 0:09, nialltimpson wrote:
    >
    >> Im adding simple mail featurs to an app im writeing using java mail
    >> libiary, and it was all going fine and dandy, untill I realised "dam i
    >> dont have a SMTP host", So here I am....
    >>
    >> I would really appreceateif anyone could guide me in the right direction
    >> in locating one, Thank's for your help
    >> Niall
    >>

    > You could install a local mail server and test against that. And if you
    > want an all Java SMTP, POP3 and NNTP server, you could use Apache James
    > <http://james.apache.org/>. Don't know for the most recent version, but
    > James 2.1.3 requires less than 8Mb disk space on my system.
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Roland de Ruiter
    > ___ ___
    > /__/ w_/ /__/
    > / \ /_/ / \

    Is that a viable sendmail/qmail alternative?

    --
    Tom Dyess
    OraclePower.com

    Tom Dyess, Feb 21, 2005
  5. nialltimpson

    Roland Guest

    On 21-2-2005 18:25, Tom Dyess wrote:

    > "Roland" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>On 21-2-2005 0:09, nialltimpson wrote:
    >>

    >>>Im adding simple mail featurs to an app im writeing using java mail
    >>>libiary, and it was all going fine and dandy, untill I realised "dam i
    >>>dont have a SMTP host", So here I am....
    >>>
    >>>I would really appreceateif anyone could guide me in the right direction
    >>>in locating one, Thank's for your help
    >>>Niall
    >>>

    >>You could install a local mail server and test against that. And if you
    >>want an all Java SMTP, POP3 and NNTP server, you could use Apache James
    >><http://james.apache.org/>. Don't know for the most recent version, but
    >>James 2.1.3 requires less than 8Mb disk space on my system.
    >>--
    >>Regards,
    >>
    >>Roland de Ruiter
    >> ___ ___
    >> /__/ w_/ /__/
    >>/ \ /_/ / \

    > Is that a viable sendmail/qmail alternative?

    For development I'd say yes. To serve as a proven mail server for a
    company, I would have my doubts.
    --
    Regards,

    Roland de Ruiter