jdeveloper struts diagram : slow?

Daniel Wang

Hi all,

I downloaded JDeveloper 9.0.5.1 (ie. 10g), and have been playing with the
struts-config.xml file in the "Page Flow Diagram" GUI mode. The performance
seemed quite nice when I started out with a blank struts config file and
started adding a few actions and form beans. However using an existing file
slowed my system down to a crawl. The new file only has five form beans, and
five actions. My system has 1 gig of ram, and is a P4 2.6 HT, so it should
not have any problems.

Is it JDeveloper or could it be something else? Could the new xml file be
not valid and slow everything down (I don't get any error reports thought)?

Thanks in advance.

Ryan Stewart

Daniel Wang said:
Hi all,

I downloaded JDeveloper 9.0.5.1 (ie. 10g), and have been playing with the
struts-config.xml file in the "Page Flow Diagram" GUI mode. The performance
seemed quite nice when I started out with a blank struts config file and
started adding a few actions and form beans. However using an existing file
slowed my system down to a crawl. The new file only has five form beans, and
five actions. My system has 1 gig of ram, and is a P4 2.6 HT, so it should
not have any problems.

Is it JDeveloper or could it be something else? Could the new xml file be
not valid and slow everything down (I don't get any error reports thought)?
9.0.5.2 is the latest release (or was the other day). I've experienced slow
load times for those diagrams as well. I don't know what all it does to set
them up. It takes about 7-8 seconds to open mine with 7 beans and 10
actions. However, one for an application I'm developing at work probably has
closer to 30 complex beans and actions, and I've never had it load
successfully yet. The longest I've given it is about 10 minutes I think.
Here's a trick if you have one like this: rename your struts-config.xml to
something else, create an empty file named struts-config.xml, and open that
with JDeveloper. It will open pretty quickly. Switch from the diagram view
to the source view, close the file, delete the empty file, and rename your
original file. When you open it again, it will bypass the diagram view and
open in source view.

shay

There was a thread about this on the JDeveloper OTN discussion forum.
It suggested the following:
Please to try de-selecting "Scan Source Paths to Determine Project
Contents" in your Project Properties and let us know if this solves
your problem. We will address this issue in a future release and list
it as a known issue until then.

http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jsp?forum=83

Ryan Stewart

shay said:
There was a thread about this on the JDeveloper OTN discussion forum.
It suggested the following:
Please to try de-selecting "Scan Source Paths to Determine Project
Contents" in your Project Properties and let us know if this solves
your problem. We will address this issue in a future release and list
it as a known issue until then.

http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jsp?forum=83
I don't have that selected, but thanks for the reference.