    task I first wanted to check with the group if anyone knows of such a thing
    already existing somewhere?

    Berislav

    Berislav Lopac, Jan 20, 2004

  2. Berislav Lopac wrote:

    > One of the banes of contemporary JavaScript programming for the Web is the
    > differences between JScript and JavaScript -- specifically, a number of
    > non-standard, but useful objects and/or methods (especially DHTML-related)
    > which are available in the former, but not the latter. Since JavaScript
    > engine in Gekko is very strong, I came to realize that the easiest way to
    > achieve platform independence would be to write specifically for JScript,
    > and then to have a JavaScript library with definitions of JScript's DHTML
    > extensions.

    The MS reference docs for JScript are at
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...56/html/js56jslrfJScriptLanguageReference.asp
    Do you find any DHTML extensions there?
    So it seems you confuse host objects respectively the object models
    http://jibbering.com/faq/#FAQ2_8
    an application like a browser provides with the core language.

    As for trying to emulate MSIE DOM features with Mozilla there are people
    who have done that, one of the better attempts at that is at
    http://webfx.eae.net/dhtml/ieemu/

    However I would stronly suggest to use the W3C DOM as much as possible
    if you are scripting for the Web now and not to start with IE
    extensions. The W3C DOM should give you a solid base for IE5+, Netscape
    6+, Opera 7 and other browsers like Konqueror, Safari.
    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

    Martin Honnen, Jan 20, 2004

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/script56/ht
    ml/js56jslrfJScriptLanguageReference.asp
    > Do you find any DHTML extensions there?
    > So it seems you confuse host objects respectively the object models
    > http://jibbering.com/faq/#FAQ2_8
    > an application like a browser provides with the core language.

    I stand corrected and ashamed -- I should have known that.

    > However I would stronly suggest to use the W3C DOM as much as possible
    > if you are scripting for the Web now and not to start with IE
    > extensions. The W3C DOM should give you a solid base for IE5+,
    > Netscape 6+, Opera 7 and other browsers like Konqueror, Safari.

    Very well, then -- but how about the XML-handling OM's? In my experience
    they differ slightly in the two main browsers. I have seen WebFX's solution,
    but they still leave out some very useful features found in JScript.

    Berislav

    Berislav Lopac, Jan 20, 2004
  4. Berislav Lopac wrote:

    > Martin Honnen wrote:
    >
    >>Berislav Lopac wrote:
    >>
    >>So it seems you confuse host objects respectively the object models
    >>http://jibbering.com/faq/#FAQ2_8
    >>an application like a browser provides with the core language.

    > I stand corrected and ashamed -- I should have known that.
    >

    > Very well, then -- but how about the XML-handling OM's? In my experience
    > they differ slightly in the two main browsers. I have seen WebFX's solution,
    > but they still leave out some very useful features found in JScript.

    JScript has XML features? I thought above you noted that you now
    understand the difference between a language and an object model. IE
    (and only on Win) uses MSXML to load and parse XML, MSXML is COM based
    so you can use it with JScript or VBScript or VB or even PHP on Win, so
    those useful features have nothing to do with JScript.
    I don't know what features you are missing, if you are ony interested in
    the IE on Win and Mozilla based browsers and want a solution without
    understanding for instance the powerful XPath implementation Mozilla has
    by now you might want to look at
    http://sarissa.sourceforge.net/

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

    Martin Honnen, Jan 20, 2004
  5. Martin Honnen wrote:
    > JScript has XML features? I thought above you noted that you now
    > understand the difference between a language and an object model. IE
    > (and only on Win) uses MSXML to load and parse XML, MSXML is COM based
    > so you can use it with JScript or VBScript or VB or even PHP on Win,
    > so those useful features have nothing to do with JScript.
    > I don't know what features you are missing, if you are ony interested
    > in the IE on Win and Mozilla based browsers and want a solution
    > without understanding for instance the powerful XPath implementation
    > Mozilla has by now you might want to look at
    > http://sarissa.sourceforge.net/

    Sorry for my innacurate terminology, but yes, this is exactly what I had in
    mind. I meant the IE (i.e. MSXML) specific extensions when used from
    JScript, and specifically selectNodes and selectSingleNode methods which
    Sarissa provides. Thanks!

    Berislav

    Berislav Lopac, Jan 20, 2004
  6. Berislav Lopac wrote:

    > One of the banes of contemporary JavaScript programming for the Web is the
    > differences between JScript and JavaScript -- specifically, a number of
    > non-standard, but useful objects and/or methods (especially DHTML-related)
    > which are available in the former, but not the latter. Since JavaScript
    > engine in Gekko is very strong, I came to realize that the easiest way to
    > achieve platform independence would be to write specifically for JScript,
    > and then to have a JavaScript library with definitions of JScript's DHTML
    > extensions.
    >
    > So I thought of writing such a library myself, but as it is quite a massive
    > task I first wanted to check with the group if anyone knows of such a thing
    > already existing somewhere?
    >
    > Berislav

    Something similar has been tried in the past, though I do not believe it
    was successful. Others may disagree. It is still active, though I am
    not sure how much. It is called DynAPI at site:

    http://dynapi.sourceforge.net/dynapi/

    It tried to make a new API to do everything via a standard interface. I
    played with it a lot, and even implemented a website using it with
    flash-style animations via JS. It worked well, but it was not as
    portable as I would have liked... It didnt work well in opera, and had
    problems with Linux Netscape versions.

    You might want to read their code, as there will likely be a lot of
    already-learned info for you.

    Brian

    Brian Genisio, Jan 20, 2004
  7. Berislav Lopac

    kaeli Guest

    In article <buipec$i5n$>,
    enlightened us with...

    > So I thought of writing such a library myself, but as it is quite a massive
    > task I first wanted to check with the group if anyone knows of such a thing
    > already existing somewhere?

    If you mean a library of cross-browser DHTML that does object checking
    and stuff for you, then yes.
    There are a couple already.

    ~kaeli~
    A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless
    interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an
    otherwise dull day.
    http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
    http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

    kaeli, Jan 20, 2004