    --
    Michael Wilcox
    mjwilco at yahoo dot com

    Michael Wilcox, Dec 24, 2003

  2. > Judge Judy decided that this was the designer's "best possible work."

    I'm not a fan of Judge Judy. I don't think she's very reasonable/sensible.

    e n | c k m a, Dec 25, 2003

  3. "e n | c k m a" <> wrote in message
    > > Judge Judy decided that this was the designer's "best possible work."

    > I'm not a fan of Judge Judy. I don't think she's very

    reasonable/sensible.

    Any judge would have ruled like this.

    The designer had an obligation to perform. The fact that he performed like a
    clown doesn't make a difference.

    The work could not have been sub-standard, because there aren't any
    standards for web-design quality, unless they were defined in the contract.
    Which they obviously weren't.

    i.e. The company could have asked for an accessible (as in 508) website.

    Woolly Mittens, Dec 25, 2003
  4. Michael Wilcox

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle e n | c k m a scribbled in the mud:

    >> Judge Judy decided that this was the designer's "best possible work."

    > I'm not a fan of Judge Judy. I don't think she's very
    > reasonable/sensible.

    That's why she's now on tv instead of in a courtroom.

    --
    Duende
    Some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps

    Duende, Dec 25, 2003
  5. > The work could not have been sub-standard, because there aren't any
    > standards for web-design quality, unless they were defined in the

    contract.
    > Which they obviously weren't.
    >
    > i.e. The company could have asked for an accessible (as in 508) website.

    That's true; good point. Interesting technicallity.

    Do you think there ever will be a standard for web-design quality?
    Hopefully in the near future one will be required to have a (web-standards)
    certificate of some sort before being able to sell this as a product.

    e n | c k m a, Dec 25, 2003
  6. Michael Wilcox

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle e n | c k m a scribbled in the mud:

    >> The work could not have been sub-standard, because there aren't any
    >> standards for web-design quality, unless they were defined in the

    > contract.
    >> Which they obviously weren't.
    >>
    >> i.e. The company could have asked for an accessible (as in 508)
    >> website.

    > That's true; good point. Interesting technicallity.
    >
    > Do you think there ever will be a standard for web-design quality?
    > Hopefully in the near future one will be required to have a
    > (web-standards) certificate of some sort before being able to sell
    > this as a product.

    No No No!!! very bad idea. Than I couldn't do crappy websites any more.
    Now go away & quit picking on us hacks.

    Duende, Dec 25, 2003
  7. e n | c k m a <> wrote:
    > Do you think there ever will be a standard for web-design quality?
    > Hopefully in the near future one will be required to have a
    > (web-standards) certificate of some sort before being able to sell
    > this as a product.

    A case was heard in which a blind user couldn't use the Olympic's website
    because it wasn't designed without accesibilty guidelines in mind. See
    http://www.google.com/search?q=olympics blind accessible
    --
    Michael Wilcox
    mjwilco at yahoo dot com

    Michael Wilcox, Dec 26, 2003
  8. Michael Wilcox

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <hnIGb.64993$>,
    says...
    > > i.e. The company could have asked for an accessible (as in 508) website.

    > That's true; good point. Interesting technicallity.
    > Do you think there ever will be a standard for web-design quality?

    Nope, because too many people have different ideas on what a good web
    design is.

    > Hopefully in the near future one will be required to have a (web-standards)
    > certificate of some sort before being able to sell this as a product.

    Then that will be the end of the web as on open medium. Which is a bad
    thing. Next we can force people the write books only a certain way. Or
    poetry, or music.

    Very bad idea. Rules stifle creativity.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Dec 26, 2003
  9. Michael Wilcox

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <Xns945BF1F2DA3E9spamwipkipbiz@130.133.1.4>,
    says...
    > > I'm not a fan of Judge Judy. I don't think she's very
    > > reasonable/sensible.

    > That's why she's now on tv instead of in a courtroom.

    Actually both her and her husband were (are) very respected judges.

    "Four years later, she was appointed the Supervising Judge in Manhattan
    and since then, has heard over 20,000 cases in her career. A swift
    decision-maker with no tolerance for excuses, Judge Judith Sheindlin
    earned a reputation as one of New York's toughest judges. While on the
    bench, her message was simple – take responsibility for yourself, your
    actions and the children you've brought into the world. Judge Judith
    Sheindlin is credited with pioneering an "open court policy," allowing
    the public and the media to view her day-to-day proceedings, which was
    not a common practice at the time. "Americans have the right to know how
    their interests are being represented," says the Judge.:

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Dec 26, 2003
  10. Michael Wilcox

    m Guest

    Whitecrest may have written:

    My impression exactly.

    > Actually both her and her husband were
    > (are) very respected judges.......
    > ........... A swift
    > decision-maker

    Way too swift, way too forceful.
    I imagine a lot of fans are
    buying into a fantasy of
    omniscience and power.
    --
    Cheers, m

    m, Dec 26, 2003
  11. Michael Wilcox

    Bob Guest

    On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 20:04:30 GMT, m <>
    wrote:

    >Way too swift, way too forceful.
    >I imagine a lot of fans are
    >buying into a fantasy of
    >omniscience and power.

    A quiet, conservative, thoughtful judge would not make for good TV.

    The people involved in the case didn't want to go into a courtroom,
    they wanted to go on TV. The Judge is no Judge, the Judge is an
    actor. The people watching don't want to see a court case, they
    want to be entertained. Think of it as a slightly toned down
    version of Gerry Springer and you'll get the right idea.

    Bob, Dec 26, 2003
  12. I don't think it should go that far but communication is the key. The
    customer and the person doing the website should have had a clear
    understanding of what was going to be on the website in the beginning,
    during the project, and at the end. That's just good business practice.
    I'm sure the customer will tell all of his friends about the work if they
    don't already know. :)

    Sheila R. Hudson, Dec 27, 2003
  13. Michael Wilcox

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <iv0Hb.20401$>,
    says...
    > > Actually both her and her husband were
    > > (are) very respected judges.......
    > > ........... A swift
    > > decision-maker

    > Way too swift, way too forceful.
    > I imagine a lot of fans are
    > buying into a fantasy of
    > omniscience and power.

    Actually you don't see what goes on with the tv show. You only see the
    highlights. Go to a taping of her (or any other) real court show and it
    is totally different. Kind of boring actually like real court.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Dec 27, 2003
  14. Michael Wilcox

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > A quiet, conservative, thoughtful judge would not make for good TV.
    > The people involved in the case didn't want to go into a courtroom,
    > they wanted to go on TV....

    They are real judges, and the decisions are legally binding.

    The people appearing split $5,000.00 (The amount may have changed) If
    the decision goes to the plaintiff, then from that $5,000.00 comes the
    judgment. Then what ever is left over from the $5,000.00 is split
    between the plaintiff and the defendant.

    It is a lot more real (and boring) than what they broadcast.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Dec 27, 2003
  15. Samuël van Laere, Dec 27, 2003
  16. Michael Wilcox

    m Guest

    Whitecrest may have written:

    >> Way too swift, way too forceful.
    >> I imagine a lot of fans are
    >> buying into a fantasy of
    >> omniscience and power.

    > Actually you don't see what goes on with the tv show. You only see the
    > highlights. Go to a taping of her (or any other) real court show and it
    > is totally different. Kind of boring actually like real court.

    A logically flawed assertion that fails to make proper appeal to
    prior knowledge remains logically flawed.

    m, Dec 27, 2003
  17. Michael Wilcox

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 22:23:55 GMT, "Michael Wilcox"
    <> wrote:

    >Judge Judy decided that this was the designer's "best possible work."

    For a great many "designers" (sic), this is indeed true.

    I'm of the opinion (even though it usually reflects badly on me) that
    there are no bad coders, only bad project managers. There are bad
    coders, but it's the PM's job to ditch them quickly (or even better,
    not recruit them in the first place). If the _project_ fouls up, that
    has to land on the PM's head, not the coder's.
    --
    Klein bottle for rent. Apply within.

    Andy Dingley, Dec 27, 2003
  18. Michael Wilcox

    RepAlciere Guest

    Flash sucks. Keep It Simple, Stupid.

    HTML.

    If you want to put a document in .PDF also, then make that optional.

    RepAlciere, Dec 28, 2003
  19. Michael Wilcox

    Bob Guest

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 09:09:47 -0500, Whitecrest <>
    wrote:

    >They are real judges, and the decisions are legally binding.

    Sort of. The Judges are retired. The cases are not heard in a court
    of law. The only reason they are binding is that the parties involved
    sign a contract agreeing to abide by the "Judges" decision. The best
    way to view it is with the Judge as a "legal binding arbitrator".

    Bob, Dec 28, 2003
  20. Michael Wilcox

    Greg Schmidt Guest

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 14:27:23 GMT, "Samuël van Laere"
    <> wrote:

    >How accesible is the new Olympic's website?
    >http://www.athens2004.com/athens2004/

    Holy technobabble, Batman! Check out these quotes from the site:

    "For the first time in the four years of its existence and for the first
    time in the history of the Olympic Games the official Olympic and
    Paralympic Games website follows the look and feel of the ATHENS 2004
    Games."

    Who here knew that the Olympic Games even *have* a "loog and feel"?

    "All the above are supported by a state of the art technical
    infrastructure which assures the continuous and omnipotent functionality
    of the official website."

    Omnipotent functionality. Sounds like Colossus: The Forbin Project is
    starting its master plan with the blessings of the IOC.

    ObHTML: At least one page requires my browser (Opera 7.23) to be 1194
    pixels wide to avoid horizontal scrolling.

    --
    Greg Schmidt ()
    Trawna Publications (http://www.trawna.com/)

    Greg Schmidt, Dec 30, 2003