    better to create for example 1000 directories with 500 files ?
    Talking about performance, is there a better solution ?

    Thanks !
    Lionel, Feb 19, 2005

  2. You could also expore the possibility of storing these images in a sql
    server database.
    This way you don't have to create all these directorie on the filesystem and
    you can utilize sql servier indexing etc, and this could speed up your
    searching ability.

    Tampa.NET Koder, Feb 19, 2005

  3. Lionel

    IPGrunt Guest

    On 19 Feb 2005, "Lionel" <> postulated in news:
    #:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have to create a website with keywords to find pictures.
    > I will have more than 500.000 jpeg files.
    >
    > I work with II6 on a windows server 2000.
    > Is it better to put the whole 500.000 files in the same directory, or

    is it
    > better to create for example 1000 directories with 500 files ?
    > Talking about performance, is there a better solution ?
    >
    > Thanks !

    I would imagine breaking up the index files might be a good idea, so
    yes, I think you might consider using multiple folders.

    -- ipgrunt
    IPGrunt, Feb 19, 2005
  4. It doesn't make any difference to your app. If it helps you, by all means.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP