    all but appropriate local URL's.

    -- George Young

    , Sep 7, 2004

  2. drs Guest

    <> wrote in message news:chkskn$...
    > I want to lauch mozilla, running
    > on the PC, with the specified URL.

    * * *

    > I can imagine a tiny python daemon running on each PC, listening for a
    > connection on a particular port, and reading a URL from it.
    > Can it just call os.system('mozilla ...')?
    > Or do I have to do some .com or .net thing?

    similar to the method you proposed, but using pure python, you might look at
    pyro (http://pyro.sourceforge.net).

    -d

    drs, Sep 8, 2004

  3. On 7 Sep 2004 10:54:31 -0700, declaimed the following in
    comp.lang.python:

    > I can imagine a tiny python daemon running on each PC, listening for a
    > connection on a particular port, and reading a URL from it.
    > Can it just call os.system('mozilla ...')?

    On the Windows side -- use os.startfile(URL) and let the OS
    bring up the browser configured for that type of URL.

    This does imply having the daemon locally...

    Dennis Lee Bieber, Sep 8, 2004
  4. <> wrote in message news:chkskn$...

    > I can imagine a tiny python daemon running on each PC, listening for a
    > connection on a particular port, and reading a URL from it.
    > Can it just call os.system('mozilla ...')?
    > Or do I have to do some .com or .net thing?

    sure, you can do:
    os.startfile(someURL)
    or:
    os.system('start %s' % someURL)

    either one will invoke the configured URL handler. (browser or whatever)

    George Kinney, Sep 9, 2004