    2. If Google App Engine isn't the solution for me, should I use WebFaction?(I already tried Heroku, and it didn't work for me.)
    3. What are my other options?

    I'm willing to pay for a solution, but only if I get web hosting as well. (I'm not willing to pay for MDDHosting for my dopplervalueinvesting.com web site AND another host for running my script.)

    Jason Hsu, Dec 8, 2012

  2. Re: Running a Python app on a remote server and displaying the outputfiles

    On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 7:22 AM, Jason Hsu <> wrote:
    > I have a Python 2.7 script at https://github.com/jhsu802701/dopplervalueinvesting . When I run the screen.py script locally, the end result is a newscreen-output sub-directory (within the root directory) and a results.csv file within it.
    >
    > What I'm trying to do is put this script on a remote server, run this screen.py script every night, and make the results.csv file publicly readable.

    Sounds like a cron job and a web server.

    > I've tried to do this on Google App Engine, but I can't get it to work. The Google App Engine tutorial revolves around trying to dynamically create a web site, and I haven't been able to figure out how to make anything other than an index.html file in the root directory work. HOW DO I MAKE OTHER FILES PUBLICLY READABLE?

    I don't know Google App Engine, but the normal way to do these things
    is to simply drop a file into your web server's designated root - for
    instance, /var/www/results.csv would be accessible as
    http://yourserver/results.csv - just put it next to index.html. But
    you may need to configure it, if it's set to a more secure default
    setup that allows only html files.

    > 1. How do I run my Python script in Google App Engine and make the outputresults.csv file publicly available?
    > 2. If Google App Engine isn't the solution for me, should I use WebFaction? (I already tried Heroku, and it didn't work for me.)
    > 3. What are my other options?
    >
    > I'm willing to pay for a solution, but only if I get web hosting as well.(I'm not willing to pay for MDDHosting for my dopplervalueinvesting.com web site AND another host for running my script.)

    Here's a possible solution for you. Make your screen.py web-accessible
    (maybe with a password or IP address check, if you don't want it
    public) as your means of regenerating the file, and create another one
    that returns it. You can then have a cron job on any other computer in
    the world - your own home box, for instance - that runs:

    wget http://yourserver/screen.py

    You can store the csv file as an actual file, or in a database, or
    whatever's convenient. You just need the other script to be able to
    find it.

    ChrisA

    Chris Angelico, Dec 9, 2012

  3. Jason Hsu