Learning ASP.NET

jr

I know this has been asked several times before, but as there is always
new content surfacing on the web, I wanted to rehash it. What are some
good resources for learning how to develop in ASP.NET (preferably
online)? I particularly want to develop data-centric web apps, and
maybe move on to a web site at some point. I have the sample sites
from MS but am having a hard time just figuring out what's going on.

I'm very comfortable developing apps in .net(2005) and also have good
knowledge of html, css, xml and javascript. But ASP.NET seems like a
totally different monster to me, and I'm having a hard time just doing
anything remotely useful with it. Thanks-

Juan T. Llibre

Besides the sites David pointed you to ( which are great resources ),
the ASP.NET Quickstart tutorial has a lot of useful info for starters :

http://quickstarts.asp.net/QuickStartv20/aspnet/Default.aspx

If you install the .Net Framework 2.0 SDK, you can have a local copy of the Quickstart :
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=fe6f2099-b7b4-4f47-a244-c96d69c35dec

I've found it to be an essential resource...

Run through the tutorial's examples and have a look-see at the source code.
You won't be sorry you did...

Junior

Once a person learns to "code" it becomes a matter of learning OOP. That's
very challenging and there doesn't seem to be many if any really really
really well known and highy regard books or training that focus on OOP as
its manifested when using the framework. Its a different way of thinking
when attempting to achieve an objective with code.

But that IMO is what it is: OOP and the closest I've found is in textbooks
from Deitel and Deitel (deitel.com) which are not cheap but very effective
learning resources I and others have used as students as well as
instructions in the classroom as the Dietel books are structured textbooks
with excercises just like in a real school. Hello? :)

Arguably, the most important fundamental of OOP is class-based design and
the first pillar of OOP called inheritance.

Its out of print but I also recommend you go to Amazon and find a used copy
of the C# Class Design Handbook published by WROX.