Learning Curve on 2.0

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jeremy S., Sep 9, 2005.

  1. Jeremy S.

    Jeremy S. Guest

    I know these questions can have no objective and definitive/correct answer -
    but I'm looking for some general insight, non specific as it may be.

    So, from those of you who have actually worked extensively with ASP.NET 2.0:

    1. What can you tell the rest of us about the learning curve to go from 1.1
    to 2.0 --- as compared to the curve to go form ASP classic to ASP.NET?

    2. Assuming a fair amount of expertise in 1.1 - what would you suggest
    would be a *rough* timetable required to get up to speed on the fundamental
    differences between 1.1. and 2.0? (assuming one could dedicate full-time to
    the transition). Couple of hours? days? weeks? months?

    3. What would you suggest are some of the fundamental differences between
    1.1. and 2.0 one should learn first (independent of any project - and
    assuming the objective is to "master 2.0" from a sort of academic
    perspective)?

    I want to learn 2.0 and I'm just trying to come up with a reasonable
    expectation on what it will take to transition from 1.1. to 2.0, and where
    to start.

    Thanks!
    Jeremy S., Sep 9, 2005

  2. > 1. What can you tell the rest of us about the learning curve to go from 1.1
    > to 2.0 --- as compared to the curve to go form ASP classic to ASP.NET?

    Much smoother/faster.

    > 2. Assuming a fair amount of expertise in 1.1 - what would you suggest
    > would be a *rough* timetable required to get up to speed on the fundamental
    > differences between 1.1. and 2.0? (assuming one could dedicate full-time to
    > the transition). Couple of hours? days? weeks? months?

    Few days, weeks for indepth/intricacies.

    > 3. What would you suggest are some of the fundamental differences between
    > 1.1. and 2.0 one should learn first (independent of any project - and
    > assuming the objective is to "master 2.0" from a sort of academic
    > perspective)?

    Master Pages, Web Parts...

    > I want to learn 2.0 and I'm just trying to come up with a reasonable
    > expectation on what it will take to transition from 1.1. to 2.0, and where
    > to start.

    Just start with the usuals. "Hello World" then go from there :]

    --
    Curt Christianson
    site: http://www.darkfalz.com
    =?Utf-8?B?Q3VydF9DIFtNVlBd?=, Sep 9, 2005

  3. Jeremy S.

    clintonG Guest

    For me the most time consuming has been learning Profiles, Membership,
    Roles, Logins, MasterPages, Themes, all of the new templates for all of the
    new controls, the new page class event and compilation model and lest I
    forget my favorite; maintaining control state when using MasterPages. I'm
    still scared shi!tless to let myself even begin to think about WebParts and
    there's at least 6 more months of study to learn SQL Server 2005 if you want
    to work with XML which has become fundamental.

    Microsoft hypsters talked a lot about 70% less code required to develop
    ASP.NET 2.0 applications which seems to be a valid statement. Most of the
    implementation for the new controls is encapsulated in the control which we
    configure for runtime using declarative programming, e.g setting attribute
    and property values and run the page.

    However. It takes 70% MORE time to learn the new paradigm so I think it
    breaks even. By the time any of us will get a chance to actually get any
    future return on investment from the new TV advertising style of marketing
    ASP.NET we will get distracted by some other issues that will suck up our
    time all over again.

    Web development is a zero sum game.

    <%= Clinton Gallagher
    NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com