    advice to me ?

    thx

    Roland
    Roland, Apr 15, 2006

  2. Roland

    Mike Brind Guest

    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2079

    --
    Mike Brind
    Mike Brind, Apr 15, 2006

  3. Roland

    Roland Guest

    Mike Brind a écrit :
    > Roland wrote:
    >
    >>I have a computer running Windows XP home edition and i would like to
    >>have a local web server for testing my classic asp pages. What would u
    >>advice to me ?
    >>
    >>thx
    >>
    >>Roland

    > http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2079
    >
    > --
    > Mike Brind

    Could Cassini work with Classic ASP too ?
    Roland, Apr 15, 2006
  4. Roland

    Mike Brind Guest

    Roland wrote:
    > Mike Brind a écrit :
    > > Roland wrote:
    > >
    > >>I have a computer running Windows XP home edition and i would like to
    > >>have a local web server for testing my classic asp pages. What would u
    > >>advice to me ?
    > >>
    > >>thx
    > >>
    > >>Roland

    > > http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2079
    > >
    > > --
    > > Mike Brind
    > >

    > Could Cassini work with Classic ASP too ?

    The article at the end of the link certainly suggests so, although I
    have never tried it. I've seen it suggested as a possible solution to
    this type of requirement before in this news group.

    I might have a little play and see.

    --
    Mike Brind
    Mike Brind, Apr 16, 2006
  5. Roland

    Mike Brind Guest

    Mike Brind wrote:
    > Roland wrote:
    > > Mike Brind a écrit :

    > > > http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2079
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Mike Brind
    > > >

    > > Could Cassini work with Classic ASP too ?

    > The article at the end of the link certainly suggests so, although I
    > have never tried it. I've seen it suggested as a possible solution to
    > this type of requirement before in this news group.
    >
    > I might have a little play and see.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Brind

    I've done some googling, and as far as I can see, Cassini does NOT
    support classic asp.

    --
    Mike Brind
    Mike Brind, Apr 16, 2006
  6. Roland

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 10:56:31 +0200, Roland
    <> wrote:

    >I have a computer running Windows XP home edition and i would like to
    >have a local web server for testing my classic asp pages. What would u
    >advice to me ?

    Upgrade. :)

    Or run Apache with an ASP mod.

    Jeff
    Jeff Cochran, Apr 18, 2006
  7. Roland

    Roland Guest

    Jeff Cochran a écrit :
    > On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 10:56:31 +0200, Roland
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>I have a computer running Windows XP home edition and i would like to
    >>have a local web server for testing my classic asp pages. What would u
    >>advice to me ?

    > Upgrade. :)
    >
    > Or run Apache with an ASP mod.
    >
    > Jeff

    That's what i will do, i read a lot about it on forums and many users
    were satisfied with this. Anyway, i had to install Apache because i will
    also develop a project in PHP. So, this option avoids me from installing
    two webservers. With only Apache, i will be ble to run classic asp and php.

    Thx

    Roland
    Roland, Apr 18, 2006
  8. Roland

    Mike Brind Guest

    Jeff Cochran wrote:
    > On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 10:56:31 +0200, Roland
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >I have a computer running Windows XP home edition and i would like to
    > >have a local web server for testing my classic asp pages. What would u
    > >advice to me ?

    > Upgrade. :)
    >
    > Or run Apache with an ASP mod.

    Aren't you restricted to using mod perl with this set up?

    --
    Mike Brind
    Mike Brind, Apr 18, 2006
  9. personally I would not waste your time with apache/linux and ASP.
    too many things are different with the asp an/or simply not supported.. its
    just not the same as true microsoft ASP

    I have used it and designed asp code on it, its a dead horse and even sun
    considers their ASP product for linux a waste of time because no one really
    uses it. I know guys that work for them.

    Just make an xp pro box and install php.. is my suggestion.

    Kyle Peterson, Apr 18, 2006
  10. Roland

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On 18 Apr 2006 08:12:35 -0700, "Mike Brind" <>
    wrote:

    >Jeff Cochran wrote:
    >> On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 10:56:31 +0200, Roland
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I have a computer running Windows XP home edition and i would like to
    >> >have a local web server for testing my classic asp pages. What would u
    >> >advice to me ?

    >> Upgrade. :)
    >>
    >> Or run Apache with an ASP mod.

    >Aren't you restricted to using mod perl with this set up?

    Why? Plenty of ASP mods are now avaoilable, even running Apache on
    Windows. Some even work reasonably well.

    Jeff
    Jeff Cochran, Apr 19, 2006
  11. Roland

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 08:58:17 +0200, Roland
    <> wrote:

    >Jeff Cochran a écrit :
    >> On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 10:56:31 +0200, Roland
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have a computer running Windows XP home edition and i would like to
    >>>have a local web server for testing my classic asp pages. What would u
    >>>advice to me ?

    >> Upgrade. :)
    >>
    >> Or run Apache with an ASP mod.
    >>
    >> Jeff

    >That's what i will do, i read a lot about it on forums and many users
    >were satisfied with this. Anyway, i had to install Apache because i will
    >also develop a project in PHP. So, this option avoids me from installing
    >two webservers. With only Apache, i will be ble to run classic asp and php.

    PHP runs fine on Windows/IIS and Windows/Apache.

    Jeff
    Jeff Cochran, Apr 19, 2006
  12. Roland

    Roland Guest

    Mike Brind a écrit :
    > Jeff Cochran wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 10:56:31 +0200, Roland
    >><> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have a computer running Windows XP home edition and i would like to
    >>>have a local web server for testing my classic asp pages. What would u
    >>>advice to me ?

    >>Upgrade. :)
    >>
    >>Or run Apache with an ASP mod.

    > Aren't you restricted to using mod perl with this set up?
    >
    > --
    > Mike Brind

    not if u use SUN ONE ASP
    Roland, Apr 20, 2006
  13. Roland

    Mike Brind Guest

    Roland wrote:
    > Mike Brind a écrit :
    > > Jeff Cochran wrote:

    > >>Upgrade. :)
    > >>
    > >>Or run Apache with an ASP mod.

    > > Aren't you restricted to using mod perl with this set up?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Mike Brind
    > >

    > not if u use SUN ONE ASP

    Wouldn't it be cheaper to upgrade to XP Pro?

    --
    Mike Brind
    Mike Brind, Apr 20, 2006
  14. On 20 Apr 2006 00:35:34 -0700, "Mike Brind" <>
    wrote:
    in <>

    >Roland wrote:
    >> Mike Brind a écrit :

    >> > Aren't you restricted to using mod perl with this set up?
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Mike Brind
    >> >

    >> not if u use SUN ONE ASP

    >Wouldn't it be cheaper to upgrade to XP Pro?

    What would be markedly cheaper than upgrading to XP Pro would be to
    update to Ubuntu with Apache, mod PHP, and PostgreSQL. Not only would
    it be more economical financially, it would also be superior performance
    wise. :)

    ---
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and no guarantees either express or implied.

    Stefan Berglund
    Stefan Berglund, Apr 20, 2006
  15. Roland

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 01:11:30 -0700, Stefan Berglund
    <> wrote:

    >On 20 Apr 2006 00:35:34 -0700, "Mike Brind" <>
    >wrote:
    > in <>
    >

    >>Roland wrote:

    >>> not if u use SUN ONE ASP

    >>Wouldn't it be cheaper to upgrade to XP Pro?

    >What would be markedly cheaper than upgrading to XP Pro would be to
    >update to Ubuntu with Apache, mod PHP, and PostgreSQL. Not only would
    >it be more economical financially, it would also be superior performance
    >wise. :)

    Until you have to hire a Linux admin who knows Apache, PHP and
    PostGreSQL.

    Jeff
    Jeff Cochran, Apr 20, 2006
  16. On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 10:55:40 GMT, (Jeff Cochran)
    wrote:
    in <>

    >On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 01:11:30 -0700, Stefan Berglund
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On 20 Apr 2006 00:35:34 -0700, "Mike Brind" <>
    >>wrote:
    >> in <>

    >>>Wouldn't it be cheaper to upgrade to XP Pro?

    >>What would be markedly cheaper than upgrading to XP Pro would be to
    >>update to Ubuntu with Apache, mod PHP, and PostgreSQL. Not only would
    >>it be more economical financially, it would also be superior performance
    >>wise. :)

    >Until you have to hire a Linux admin who knows Apache, PHP and
    >PostGreSQL.
    >
    >Jeff

    And why would I have to do that? It took me all of 11 days to set up a
    sand box server, learn the above mentioned tools, and convert an entire
    data driven site. Google opens up worlds of information. The rest is
    intuitively obvious to the most casual observer. :)

    It's not some black art. It's just plain old computer science. And did
    I mention how much fun I had doing this?

    ---

    Stefan Berglund, Apr 20, 2006