locale problem

hilz

Hi all

I have a java program that displays some chinese text.
I am passing the argumet -Duser.language=zh in the command line to set the
locale to chinese.
The chinese text appears as squares.
If i copy the text from withing my application and paste it in another
application, i can see the text correctly as chinese.
It is just not showing correctly in my application.
the machine locale is set to english.
what do i need to do in order to show the text correctly?
thanks
hilz

P.Hill

hilz said:
Hi all

I have a java program that displays some chinese text.

'displays'? Is it being displayed in Swing component, a SWT component,
a web page resulting from a servlet, or maybe your are displaying it in
a command window using System.out.println(). Also what OS platform are
you on?

-Paul

hilz

P.Hill said:
'displays'? Is it being displayed in Swing component, a SWT component,
a web page resulting from a servlet, or maybe your are displaying it in
a command window using System.out.println(). Also what OS platform are
you on?

-Paul

Sorry about that!
it is Swing and WinXP

P.Hill

Do you have any windows 'Code pages' mapped for the language you
are trying to display?
Start | Control Panel | Regional and Lang. Options | Advanced
click lots of languages :)
should do the trick.

-Paul

hilz

P.Hill said:
Do you have any windows 'Code pages' mapped for the language you
are trying to display?
Start | Control Panel | Regional and Lang. Options | Advanced
click lots of languages :)
should do the trick.

-Paul

Paul,
Thank you for the suggestion.
It did not solve the problem though.
I selected every option in that list that had the word "chinese" or "taiwan"
in it, and the text still appeared as squares.
if i copy the text (the squares, that is) and paste it in MS Word 2003, it
appears just fine.

any other suggestions?