    when the page loads the main frame goes to the right with a slider instead
    of the other way around.
    www.bigdwebdesign.com

    Lori, Jan 31, 2004

  2. Leif K-Brooks, Jan 31, 2004

  3. Lori

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Lori scribbled in the mud:

    > How do I get the left frame to stay locked at a certain width.
    > Currently when the page loads the main frame goes to the right with a
    > slider instead of the other way around.
    > www.bigdwebdesign.com

    I was a bit supprised to see that you had put this on a site:

    --
    Duende

    Duende, Jan 31, 2004
  4. Lori

    Duende Guest

    Duende, Jan 31, 2004
  5. Duende wrote:
    > <blink>

    Please, there are children here!

    Leif K-Brooks, Jan 31, 2004
  6. Lori

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Leif K-Brooks scribbled in the mud:

    > Duende wrote:
    >> <blink>

    > Please, there are children here!

    Sorry, won't happen again. :(

    --
    Duende

    Duende, Jan 31, 2004
  7. In article <l4ISb.194062$na.327808@attbi_s04>, says...
    > How do I get the left frame to stay locked at a certain width. Currently
    > when the page loads the main frame goes to the right with a slider instead
    > of the other way around.
    > www.bigdwebdesign.com

    Oh dear:

    http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/present/frames.html#adef-noresize

    Why the Hell have you used frames on that anyway?

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/

    Hywel Jenkins, Jan 31, 2004
  8. Lori

    Steve R. Guest

    Lori wrote in message ...
    > How do I get the left frame to stay locked at a certain width.

    This is the mark-up for you top frame ...
    <frame name="banner" scrolling="no" noresize target="contents"
    src="top.htm">

    It includes the words scrolling="no"

    This is the mark-up for you contents frame ...
    <frame name="contents" target="main" src="left.htm">

    I doesn't include the words scrolling ="no"
    so that frame can be resized by the user.

    If you want to lock a frame add that markup, but it's not advisable, as
    people who like to enlarge the text may not be able to read your
    'contents'.

    By the way that background to the 'Speedway' website
    http://www.ukiahspeedway.com/speedway/index.shtml is awful, distracting,
    and makes reading the text difficult. Just get rid of the background or
    tone it down a lot so it makes the reading easier.

    Steve R., Jan 31, 2004
  9. Lori

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Hywel Jenkins scribbled in the mud:

    > Why the Hell have you used frames on that anyway?

    You wouldn't ask if you had ever ceen to Lake County, CA. Up there they
    still think 8 track is the latest thing in audio.

    --
    Duende

    Duende, Jan 31, 2004
  10. Lori

    Skratz Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 06:59:15 +0000, Leif K-Brooks wrote:

    > Lori wrote:
    >> How do I get the left frame to stay locked at a certain width.

    > http://www.html-faq.com/htmlframes/?framesareevil

    What a total crap page is that, half of it doesn't even make sense and the
    other half is outdated.
    Frames do have their uses. You have only one
    menu, otherwise you will end up with a totally Shpxrq-Hc navigation.
    If your browser doesn't support frames it is really time for you to update your
    browser, even the simplest text-browsers can handle frames.

    Skratz, Jan 31, 2004
  11. Lori

    Alan D-W Guest

    "Lori" <> wrote in message
    > How do I get the left frame to stay locked at a certain width. Currently
    > when the page loads the main frame goes to the right with a slider instead
    > of the other way around.
    > www.bigdwebdesign.com

    You set yourself up as web designer, yet:
    Frames (which you are now asking for help with!)
    Front Page
    "New Page 1" !!
    ???

    Hmmm....

    Alan D-W, Jan 31, 2004
  12. In article <Xns94811927F582Bxxxspamwipkipbiz@130.133.1.4>,
    says...
    > While sitting in a puddle Hywel Jenkins scribbled in the mud:
    >
    > > Why the Hell have you used frames on that anyway?

    > You wouldn't ask if you had ever ceen to Lake County, CA. Up there they
    > still think 8 track is the latest thing in audio.

    An' I s'pose y'know of somethun better than 8 track? Them CDs ain't no
    way never gunna catch on.

    Hywel Jenkins, Jan 31, 2004
  13. Skratz wrote:
    > Frames do have their uses. You have only one
    > menu, otherwise you will end up with a totally Fucked-Up navigation.

    Did you not read the section entitled "The Alternatives"? This deals with
    far better ways of doing a "united" navigation system for your site.

    > If your browser doesn't support frames it is really time for you to update your
    > browser, even the simplest text-browsers can handle frames.

    I am using Lynx Version 2.8.5dev.12 which was released about 14 months
    ago. It is one of the simplest text browsers. Guess what? It doesn't
    support frames.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Jan 31, 2004
  14. In article <401b8cc2$0$13349$>, Alan D-
    W says...
    > "Lori" <> wrote in message

    > > www.bigdwebdesign.com

    > You set yourself up as web designer, yet:
    > Frames (which you are now asking for help with!)
    > Front Page
    > "New Page 1" !!
    > ???

    See it all too often. My competiton's site: http://www.aceworks.co.uk/

    The problem with FrontPage amatures passing themselves off as
    professionals is the bad rep it gives the web design industry as a
    whole.

    If a business ends up with a crap site from one designer, they're likely
    to just loose interest in the Internet, believing all designers will
    provide the same.

    I started out with FrontPage years ago, but it didn't take me long to
    drop it and start handcoding. I didn't start offering services for money
    until I had some experience behind me.

    The OP's site isn't all that bad. The frames aren't needed, but at least
    he hasn't gone overboard with scrolling text and that bloody reflecting
    water applet.

    --
    Daniel
    DualStone Web Design - http://www.DualStone.co.uk

    Daniel [DualStone], Jan 31, 2004
  15. Lori

    Biggo Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 06:39:13 GMT, Lori wrote:

    > How do I get the left frame to stay locked at a certain width. Currently
    > when the page loads the main frame goes to the right with a slider instead
    > of the other way around.
    > www.bigdwebdesign.com

    You have some front charging the unsuspecting to produce this kind of crap.
    --
    "Will you marry me? Do you have any money? Answer the second question first
    otherwise we'll stop this conversation right hear."

    Biggo, Jan 31, 2004
  16. Lori

    jake Guest

    In message <>, Toby A
    Inkster <> writes
    >Skratz wrote:
    >> Frames do have their uses. You have only one
    >> menu, otherwise you will end up with a totally Fucked-Up navigation.

    >Did you not read the section entitled "The Alternatives"? This deals with
    >far better ways of doing a "united" navigation system for your site.
    >
    >> If your browser doesn't support frames it is really time for you to
    >>update your
    >> browser, even the simplest text-browsers can handle frames.

    >I am using Lynx Version 2.8.5dev.12 which was released about 14 months
    >ago. It is one of the simplest text browsers. Guess what? It doesn't
    >support frames.

    My version of Lynx (2.8.3) seems to handle frames, but I must confess
    that this is not a system that I am overly familiar with.

    When I access the www.bigdwebdesign.com page I get:

    FRAME: banner
    FRAME: contents
    FRAME: main

    along with the <noframes> 'This page uses frames , but your browser
    doesn't support them' </noframes>

    I seem to be able to access the menu frame, as well as the content via
    the menu.

    The only thing it can't handle is the drop-down menus on Services and
    Pricing.

    regards.
    --
    Jake

    jake, Feb 1, 2004
  17. jake wrote:

    > My version of Lynx (2.8.3) seems to handle frames

    I guess it depends on what you count as "handle". Lynx and several other
    browsers (e.g. Dillo, prior to the existence of the Dillo Frames patch)
    treat frames as hyperlinks.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Feb 1, 2004
  18. Lori

    jake Guest

    In message <>, Toby A
    Inkster <> writes
    >jake wrote:
    >
    >> My version of Lynx (2.8.3) seems to handle frames

    >I guess it depends on what you count as "handle". Lynx and several other
    >browsers (e.g. Dillo, prior to the existence of the Dillo Frames patch)
    >treat frames as hyperlinks.

    'Able to handle frames' on a text-only browser? ...... well, I guess if
    the browser sets up hyperlinks and allows me to access the contents of
    the 'frames' , I'd call that 'handling frames'.

    What would be your expectations in a text-only browser? Simulation of
    the frames appearance using text characters to form the borders, and the
    content scrolling inside these borders?

    regards.

    --
    Jake