locking a frame

Lori

How do I get the left frame to stay locked at a certain width. Currently
when the page loads the main frame goes to the right with a slider instead
of the other way around.
www.bigdwebdesign.com

Duende

While sitting in a puddle Lori scribbled in the mud:
How do I get the left frame to stay locked at a certain width.
Currently when the page loads the main frame goes to the right with a
slider instead of the other way around.
www.bigdwebdesign.com

I was a bit supprised to see that you had put this on a site:

Steve R.

Lori wrote in message ...
How do I get the left frame to stay locked at a certain width.

This is the mark-up for you top frame ...
<frame name="banner" scrolling="no" noresize target="contents"
src="top.htm">

It includes the words scrolling="no"

This is the mark-up for you contents frame ...
<frame name="contents" target="main" src="left.htm">

I doesn't include the words scrolling ="no"
so that frame can be resized by the user.

If you want to lock a frame add that markup, but it's not advisable, as
people who like to enlarge the text may not be able to read your
'contents'.

By the way that background to the 'Speedway' website
http://www.ukiahspeedway.com/speedway/index.shtml is awful, distracting,
and makes reading the text difficult. Just get rid of the background or
tone it down a lot so it makes the reading easier.

Duende

While sitting in a puddle Hywel Jenkins scribbled in the mud:
Why the Hell have you used frames on that anyway?

You wouldn't ask if you had ever ceen to Lake County, CA. Up there they
still think 8 track is the latest thing in audio.

Alan D-W

Lori said:
How do I get the left frame to stay locked at a certain width. Currently
when the page loads the main frame goes to the right with a slider instead
of the other way around.
www.bigdwebdesign.com

You set yourself up as web designer, yet:
Frames (which you are now asking for help with!)
Front Page
"New Page 1" !!
???

Hmmm....

Hywel Jenkins

While sitting in a puddle Hywel Jenkins scribbled in the mud:

You wouldn't ask if you had ever ceen to Lake County, CA. Up there they
still think 8 track is the latest thing in audio.

An' I s'pose y'know of somethun better than 8 track? Them CDs ain't no
way never gunna catch on.

Toby A Inkster

Skratz said:
Frames do have their uses. You have only one
menu, otherwise you will end up with a totally Fucked-Up navigation.

Did you not read the section entitled "The Alternatives"? This deals with
far better ways of doing a "united" navigation system for your site.
If your browser doesn't support frames it is really time for you to update your
browser, even the simplest text-browsers can handle frames.

I am using Lynx Version 2.8.5dev.12 which was released about 14 months
ago. It is one of the simplest text browsers. Guess what? It doesn't
support frames.

Daniel [DualStone]

Alan D- said:
You set yourself up as web designer, yet:
Frames (which you are now asking for help with!)
Front Page
"New Page 1" !!
???

See it all too often. My competiton's site: http://www.aceworks.co.uk/

The problem with FrontPage amatures passing themselves off as
professionals is the bad rep it gives the web design industry as a
whole.

If a business ends up with a crap site from one designer, they're likely
to just loose interest in the Internet, believing all designers will
provide the same.

I started out with FrontPage years ago, but it didn't take me long to
drop it and start handcoding. I didn't start offering services for money
until I had some experience behind me.

The OP's site isn't all that bad. The frames aren't needed, but at least
he hasn't gone overboard with scrolling text and that bloody reflecting
water applet.

Biggo

How do I get the left frame to stay locked at a certain width. Currently
when the page loads the main frame goes to the right with a slider instead
of the other way around.
www.bigdwebdesign.com

You have some front charging the unsuspecting to produce this kind of crap.

jake

Toby A said:
Did you not read the section entitled "The Alternatives"? This deals with
far better ways of doing a "united" navigation system for your site.

I am using Lynx Version 2.8.5dev.12 which was released about 14 months
ago. It is one of the simplest text browsers. Guess what? It doesn't
support frames.
My version of Lynx (2.8.3) seems to handle frames, but I must confess
that this is not a system that I am overly familiar with.

When I access the www.bigdwebdesign.com page I get:

FRAME: banner
FRAME: contents
FRAME: main

along with the <noframes> 'This page uses frames , but your browser
doesn't support them' </noframes>

I seem to be able to access the menu frame, as well as the content via
the menu.

The only thing it can't handle is the drop-down menus on Services and
Pricing.

regards.

Toby A Inkster

jake said:
My version of Lynx (2.8.3) seems to handle frames

I guess it depends on what you count as "handle". Lynx and several other
browsers (e.g. Dillo, prior to the existence of the Dillo Frames patch)
treat frames as hyperlinks.

jake

Toby A said:
I guess it depends on what you count as "handle". Lynx and several other
browsers (e.g. Dillo, prior to the existence of the Dillo Frames patch)
treat frames as hyperlinks.
'Able to handle frames' on a text-only browser? ...... well, I guess if
the browser sets up hyperlinks and allows me to access the contents of
the 'frames' , I'd call that 'handling frames'.

What would be your expectations in a text-only browser? Simulation of
the frames appearance using text characters to form the borders, and the
content scrolling inside these borders?

regards.