look and feel

syntax

hi, i have a question on "look and feel"

i want to know full terms of the follwing::

UImanager.setLookAndFeel

question1 :
-------------

whats the full form of UI ?

for another question here is a code ==>

CODE
----------------
String plaf = "com.sun.java.swing.plaf.motif.MotifLookAndFeel";
try
{
UIManager.setLookAndFeel(plaf);
SwingUtilities.UpdateComponentTreeUI(panel);
}
catch(Exception e)
{e.printStackTrace();}

------------------

question 2:
--------------

well, its not important to know whats the full form of plaf, but i
feel the meaning of laf>> look and feel and can you tell me whats for
"p" ?
i am asking this for readability.probabily it has some meaning.

however, the important question is what is this
printStackTracemethod ?? can anybody tell something about this
method,about its functioning etc.
thanks

Christophe Vanfleteren

syntax said:
hi, i have a question on "look and feel"

i want to know full terms of the follwing::

UImanager.setLookAndFeel

question1 :

UI = User Interface

http://www.acronymfinder.com/ can come in handy for such cases.
for another question here is a code ==>

CODE
----------------
String plaf = "com.sun.java.swing.plaf.motif.MotifLookAndFeel";
try
{
UIManager.setLookAndFeel(plaf);
SwingUtilities.UpdateComponentTreeUI(panel);
}
catch(Exception e)
{e.printStackTrace();}

------------------

question 2:
--------------

well, its not important to know whats the full form of plaf, but i
feel the meaning of laf>> look and feel and can you tell me whats for
"p" ?
i am asking this for readability.probabily it has some meaning.

Pluggable, as in "can easily be changed / added"
however, the important question is what is this
printStackTracemethod ?? can anybody tell something about this
method,about its functioning etc.
thanks

You might want to learn about these:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/

The method you want can be found here:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/lang/Throwable.html#printStackTrace()

syntax

yes, i know those methods are in the API docs.but it was difficult to
understand.
API >
" public void printStackTrace()Prints this throwable and its
backtrace to the standard error stream. This method prints a stack
trace for this Throwable object on the error output stream that is the
value of the field System.err .."

what does it mean ? can anybody explain in a simple way? i find these
two pharases difficult, backtrace ( is it backtracking i.e in a
reverse way??) AND stack trace ( whats this, is it just a stack?) .

anyway, can anybody tell me what it does overall ?

Thomas Fritsch

syntax said:
yes, i know those methods are in the API docs.but it was difficult to
understand.
API >
" public void printStackTrace()Prints this throwable and its
backtrace to the standard error stream. This method prints a stack
trace for this Throwable object on the error output stream that is the
value of the field System.err .."

what does it mean ? can anybody explain in a simple way? i find these
two pharases difficult, backtrace ( is it backtracking i.e in a
reverse way??) AND stack trace ( whats this, is it just a stack?) .

anyway, can anybody tell me what it does overall ?

Hi,

I suggest you compile and start the following program.
Then you will see a real stack trace and understand what it is.

import javax.swing.*;

public class Test {
try {
String plaf =
"com.sun.java.swing.plaf.afhgdhgd.IllegalLookAndFeel";
UIManager.setLookAndFeel(plaf);
}
catch(Exception e) {
e.printStackTrace();