Looking for a formmail script

SlowRyde

I am planning on upgrading the formmail script on a site I edit and was
wondering if anyone could suggest a Perl or PHP script that is:

cost effective (or free),
supports multiple forms,
allows attachments,
can send to different/multiple email addresses,
can process multi-page forms
and easily configurable for programming newbies such as I.

I looked through some of the scripts at hotscripts.com, but would like
to get suggestions from some webmasters who have actually used them.

Once I get a policy in place, I may also set up some forms to accept
credit cards for various purposes (registrations, membership dues, etc.)
They won't be processed on-site, so a shopping cart would probably be
overkill. Am I correct in thinking that having the form on a secure page
would be safe enough? (as long as the recipient goes to the on-site webmail)

Thanks,
Robert

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

SlowRyde said:
Once I get a policy in place, I may also set up some forms to accept
credit cards for various purposes (registrations, membership dues, etc.)
They won't be processed on-site, so a shopping cart would probably be
overkill. Am I correct in thinking that having the form on a secure page
would be safe enough? (as long as the recipient goes to the on-site
webmail)

No, that would be a bad idea. I would go one step further and say that you
should NEVER store credit card information on a shared server...ever.
Matter of fact, its probably against your merchant account's terms of
service to do that.

--Tina

Neal

I am planning on upgrading the formmail script on a site I edit and was
wondering if anyone could suggest a Perl or PHP script that is:

cost effective (or free),
supports multiple forms,
allows attachments,
can send to different/multiple email addresses,
can process multi-page forms
and easily configurable for programming newbies such as I.

I've found the formmail at http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/scripts.shtml to
be quite good. Off the top of my head, I think it satisfies all your
requirements, but check it first.

SlowRyde

Tina said:
webmail)

No, that would be a bad idea. I would go one step further and say that you
should NEVER store credit card information on a shared server...ever.
Matter of fact, its probably against your merchant account's terms of
service to do that.

--Tina

Thanks Tina,
Protecting the user is my top priority. Any suggestions on a safe way to
do this?

--

___/ __ \________/ /_______________/ /_
__ /_/ / __ \_/ __ \ _ \_/ ___/ __/

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

SlowRyde said:
Thanks Tina,
Protecting the user is my top priority. Any suggestions on a safe way to
do this?

Pass the information directly to the credit card processor - don't mess with
trying to store it securely on your own. Too much risk. Credit card
processors spend ALOT of money to make sure their data is stored
securely...let them handle it.

--Tina

SlowRyde

Tina said:
Pass the information directly to the credit card processor - don't mess with
trying to store it securely on your own. Too much risk. Credit card
processors spend ALOT of money to make sure their data is stored
securely...let them handle it.

--Tina

Should I interpret that to say that a shopping cart is the best
solution? I'm exploring uncharted territories here :)

Thanks again,
--

___/ __ \________/ /_______________/ /_
__ /_/ / __ \_/ __ \ _ \_/ ___/ __/

Adrienne

Should I interpret that to say that a shopping cart is the best
solution? I'm exploring uncharted territories here :)

Thanks again,

In the applications I write, I keep the type of credit card, the
expiration, name on the card, and the last four digits. This serves two
purposes:
1. After the credit card has been approved, I can print "Your credit card
************1234 was charged $XX.XX"
2. If the customer ever needs to know what credit card was used, I can at
least give a partial number.