Looking for an XML (database-based) Query Reporting Tool/advice

Discussion in 'XML' started by Alex, Jun 21, 2005.

  1. Alex

    Alex Guest

    Subject: Looking for an XML (database-based) Query Reporting
    Tool/advice

    First off, let me apologize if this thread is somewhat off topic...

    PLEASE REPLY TO:

    I am looking for a way to query XML documents stored in an Oracle 9i
    database, contained in an unstructured CLOB column, much like one would
    with a traditional BI query reporting tool, but using XPath or XQuery
    query syntax..

    Does anyone know of, or have any ideas/opinions on the following:
    1. An XML Query Reporting Tool - are there any out there that you
    know of or can recommend?*
    2. Does anyone know of any XML middleware that can translate an XML
    document to a traditional SQL query tool so that it thinks it's a
    relational structured object, and translate the SQL syntax to native
    XML query syntax?*
    3. Is XQuery/XPath a plausible approach for ad-hoc queries against an
    Oracle database with 30+ million records (assuming appropriate XML
    Datatypes and indexes are used) or does this sound a bit absurd? I.e.
    would you just use a relational/SQL approach?

    *Technical considerations.
    · XML documents are to be stored in an Oracle CLOB column
    (unstructured is preferred as it is currently setup for full-text
    searching), but can also be represented in structured object XML Type.
    · Backend would be Oracle 9i or 10g with Oracle XML DB and support
    for W3C XPath 1.0/ XPath 2.0/ XQuery 1.0.

    Any thoughts, opinions and/or suggestions on the above are appreciated.

    Thanks!

    Alex

    Alex, Jun 21, 2005

  2. Alex

    Guest

    I recall that Oracle 9i provides much of what you want out of the box.
    (That's why you would have upgraded from 8i.) Look on ebay for
    one of those Oracle/XML books published by Osborne on the cheap
    or try posting to comp.databases.oracle or googling "Oracle
    XML XQL".

    , Jun 21, 2005

  3. Alex

    Alex Guest

    Sorry, but I don't think you quite got the gist of the post ... I am
    looking for a 3rd party front end tool, much like that of a traditional
    ad-hoc query tool like Crystal/Impromptu BUT with the ability to query
    an unstructured non-relational source (XML document) using native XML
    query languages ... we are not interested in developing our own.

    Alex, Jun 21, 2005