looking for libpython31.a 64bit (missing from python-3.1.3.amd64.msi)

Nathan Coulson

Well, as the subject says, I am looking to find libpython31.a
[win64bit version] for use in a linux to windows 64bit cross compiler
[x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc], but seems to be missing.

so far, tried installing it on a real 64bit windows system,
cabextract, as well as msiexec /a python-3.1.3.amd64.msi /qb
TARGETDIR=out. Either case, libs/libpython31.a is not there.

as a last resort, tried cross compiling it with my tools, but a few
google searches tell me that way will lead to headaches, and currently
not supported out of the box.

Martin v. Loewis

Am 13.04.2011 10:17, schrieb Nathan Coulson:
Well, as the subject says, I am looking to find libpython31.a
[win64bit version] for use in a linux to windows 64bit cross compiler
[x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc], but seems to be missing.

I wouldn't call it "missing", but "just not there". I had no
intention/procedure to create it, so it isn't being created,
and hence not packaged, either.
so far, tried installing it on a real 64bit windows system,
cabextract, as well as msiexec /a python-3.1.3.amd64.msi /qb
TARGETDIR=out. Either case, libs/libpython31.a is not there.

as a last resort, tried cross compiling it with my tools, but a few
google searches tell me that way will lead to headaches, and currently
not supported out of the box.

The problem is deeper than that. Even if you had the library, you
probably still couldn't do what you want to do (although you didn't
actually say what it is that you want to do): building extensions
with mingw64 currently isn't supported at all.

So if you want to build extension modules for Win64, use Visual
Studio (and/or the platform SDK).

Regards,
Martin