Lots of pdf files

Discussion in 'Python' started by Greg Lindstrom, Jul 20, 2005.

  1. Hello-
    I'm running Python 2.3 on a Linux system and have lots (about 2000)
    files in pdf format to print each day. If I just wind up and fire all
    the files at the printer at once (as 2000 separate print jobs), the
    print server throws a fit and our system admin comes down and slaps me
    around for a few minutes (which, I guess, is fair).

    There does not appear to be a simple way to merge many pdf's into one.
    I could, for example, merge all of the files for a particular provider
    into one pdf for that provider and then print it (or, better
    yet...encrypt it and ship it!), but I do not see a way.

    Any suggestions? As it stands now, I'm printing sending 200 files,
    waiting until the queue is clear, then another 200, and so forth.
    Eventually we will be paperless (if for no other reason this seems
    insane to me), but what can I do in the meantime?

    Thanks for your help!

    --greg

    --
    Greg Lindstrom 501 975.4859 (office)
    Senior Programmer 501 219-4455 (fax)

    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." W.W.
    Greg Lindstrom, Jul 20, 2005

  2. Greg Lindstrom wrote:
    > There does not appear to be a simple way to merge many pdf's into one.

    Program pdftk can merge pdf's, but I have never tried it.
    You may also use pdflatex --- there is a package called pdfpages
    provides powerful command \includepdf.

    w.
    Wojciech Mula, Jul 20, 2005

  3. Greg Lindstrom

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Greg Lindstrom <> writes:
    > There does not appear to be a simple way to merge many pdf's into one.

    There's probably some way to do it with pstops or some related program
    or set of programs.
    Paul Rubin, Jul 20, 2005
  4. Paul Rubin <http://> writes:

    > Greg Lindstrom <> writes:
    >> There does not appear to be a simple way to merge many pdf's into one.

    > There's probably some way to do it with pstops or some related program
    > or set of programs.

    The pdftk manpage gives this as one of its examples:

    pdftk *.pdf cat output combined.pdf

    <http://www.accesspdf.com/pdftk/>
    Bruce Stephens, Jul 20, 2005
  5. Greg Lindstrom wrote:
    > Hello-
    > I'm running Python 2.3 on a Linux system and have lots (about 2000)
    > files in pdf format to print each day. If I just wind up and fire all
    > the files at the printer at once (as 2000 separate print jobs), the
    > print server throws a fit and our system admin comes down and slaps me
    > around for a few minutes (which, I guess, is fair).

    Are your sure it is the number (and not the sum of the sizes) of
    the jobs your admin is worrying about?

    What about

    #!/bin/sh
    for i in *.pdf; do
    lpr $i
    sleep 10
    done

    (maybe adding something that waits until the queue is empty instead
    of sleep)?

    Ralf
    Ralf Muschall, Jul 21, 2005
  6. Greg Lindstrom

    Duncan Booth Guest

    Greg Lindstrom wrote:

    > I'm running Python 2.3 on a Linux system and have lots (about 2000)
    > files in pdf format to print each day. If I just wind up and fire all
    > the files at the printer at once (as 2000 separate print jobs), the
    > print server throws a fit and our system admin comes down and slaps me
    > around for a few minutes (which, I guess, is fair).
    >
    > There does not appear to be a simple way to merge many pdf's into one.
    > I could, for example, merge all of the files for a particular provider
    > into one pdf for that provider and then print it (or, better
    > yet...encrypt it and ship it!), but I do not see a way.

    A quick Google search turns up lots of program which claim to merge PDFs
    files. e.g. http://www.verypdf.com/pdfpg/index.html (for a mere $29.90,
    except it is GPL'd so I'm not sure what the money is for).

    Or perhaps PDCAT, http://www.pdf-tools.com/asp/products.asp?name=CLE for
    $150, or $250 if you want to be able to encrypt the output and ship it.
    Duncan Booth, Jul 21, 2005
  7. Greg Lindstrom

    Guest

    Paul Rubin <http://> wrote:
    > Greg Lindstrom <> writes:
    > > There does not appear to be a simple way to merge many pdf's into one.

    > There's probably some way to do it with pstops or some related program
    > or set of programs.

    Google for "multivalent tools" - a collection of Java applications
    for PDF manipulation...

    N.
    , Jul 21, 2005
  8. [Duncan]
    > a mere $29.90, except it is GPL'd so I'm not sure what the money is for

    "Tech support [...] free forever for registered users."

    But I've often wondered whether you could charge for mass-market GPL software
    simply because your ordinary punter doesn't know what the GPL is, and doesn't
    mind paying a small amount of money for decent software. Whether it's
    ethical, given that presumably the thing is GPL because it inherits GPL code
    from other developers, I don't know. Certainly the GPL itself has no
    objection to charging for binaries provided you ship the source as well.

    --
    Richie Hindle
    Richie Hindle, Jul 22, 2005
  9. On Friday 22 July 2005 03:43 am, Richie Hindle wrote:
    > > a mere $29.90, except it is GPL'd so I'm not sure what the money is for

    > "Tech support [...] free forever for registered users."

    Hmm. Though that raises the old spectre of charging a fixed price for
    a "loss center".

    > But I've often wondered whether you could charge for mass-market GPL software
    > simply because your ordinary punter doesn't know what the GPL is, and doesn't
    > mind paying a small amount of money for decent software. Whether it's
    > ethical, given that presumably the thing is GPL because it inherits GPL code
    > from other developers, I don't know. Certainly the GPL itself has no
    > objection to charging for binaries provided you ship the source as well.

    Sure it's ethical. I suspect most GPL developers would love to see it work.
    Of course, you might have to worry about them pre-empting you. ;-)

    The problem is that competition will tend to drive the price to the marginal
    cost of distribution. By tacking on a value-added feature (printed documentation
    or tech support), you are improving the "production quality" of the copy
    you are selling, which means you can (sustainably) charge a bit more.

    Still hard to make money at it, though.

    Terry Hancock, Jul 22, 2005