Mac IE out of memory errors

D. Alvarado

Does anyone have any script that might be useful in detecting Mac OS
9.x, IE 5.x out of memory errors before they occur? I understand the
solution (to jack up the virtual memory allotted to IE), but I would
like to alert end users this is what they need to do rather than have
them see some cryptic javascript error (or nothing at all if they have
script debugging turned off).

Much thanks - Dave

Michael Winter

D. Alvarado wrote on 25 Nov 2003:
Does anyone have any script that might be useful in detecting
Mac OS 9.x, IE 5.x out of memory errors before they occur? I
understand the solution (to jack up the virtual memory allotted
to IE), but I would like to alert end users this is what they
need to do rather than have them see some cryptic javascript
error (or nothing at all if they have script debugging turned
off).

That's not even close to possible with JavaScript.

Mike

VK

You may try to narrow the "memory consuming" block and enclose it into
try...catch...finally... statement.

But from my humble experience by this time you'll not need it, because
by this time you'll find the actual error in your code. Despite
JavaScript/JScript memory limits never were precisely exposed, but they
are VERY large. Thus:

1) either you are trying to load a 5-10Mb Oracle database into Array (or
so of this kind)
2) or you've made a recursive function call loop like:
function a(r){b(this);}
// looping till the end of the stack...
function b(r){a(this);}

I would concentrate on the option 2