Mac OS X Leopard Ruby Features

Gary Wright

From the 300+ New Features list for OS X Leopard:
DTrace
Monitor virtually any aspect of your application with DTrace,
integrated into the Darwin kernel. Java, Ruby, Python, and Perl
have also been extended to support DTrace, providing unprecedented
access for monitoring the performance characteristics of those
languages.

Scripting Bridge
Use Objective-C, Ruby, and Python programs to automate Mac
applications. The new Scripting Bridge enables them to easily
generate AppleEvents using a concise, AppleScript-like syntax.

Cocoa Bridges
Use Ruby and Python as first-class languages for building Cocoa
applications, thanks to Objective-C bridges as well as full Xcode
and Interface Builder support.

and as previously announced:

John Joyce

and as previously announced:
Yep, and we will see how well it's done, soon enough.
The big issue I'm concerned about is update/upgrade-ability.
They did have a lot of close consultation with the Rails Core team,
so it should be good, but we'll see...

Brian Mitchell

Yep, and we will see how well it's done, soon enough.
The big issue I'm concerned about is update/upgrade-ability.
They did have a lot of close consultation with the Rails Core team,
so it should be good, but we'll see...

I hear that gem updates work fine. In addition to rails gems, it comes
bundled with just about every gem you might need right out of the box.
I guess I'll be waiting to pick up a box to see the final list.

What I really want to know is what sort of D-Trace support is there.
Is it just C and OS probes or have they put something together like
Joyent [0].

Brian.

[0]: https://dtrace.joyent.com/projects/ruby-dtrace/wiki

lpackham

Let's try this again (as posting on groups.google.com appeared to
break - so sorry if this has appeared more than once).

Apple have included no ustack helper in Ruby which comes with OSX - so
you have to compile your own.

I have produced a patch for Ruby on OSX and e-mailed the details to
scott at joyent. I hope he's the right person.

It seems that Apple have broken the ability to use the -G parameter on
dtrace. Meaning you can't compile d scripts into linkable objects.
This breaks the patch by the joyent guys. Hence me working out a
solution for it.

I now have it all fully working. If Scott's not the right person - who
should I send it to?

Yep, and we will see how well it's done, soon enough.
The big issue I'm concerned about is update/upgrade-ability.
They did have a lot of close consultation with the Rails Core team,
so it should be good, but we'll see...

I hear that gem updates work fine. In addition to rails gems, it comes
bundled with just about every gem you might need right out of the box.
I guess I'll be waiting to pick up a box to see the final list.

What I really want to know is what sort of D-Trace support is there.
Is it just C and OS probes or have they put something together like
Joyent [0].

Brian.

[0]:https://dtrace.joyent.com/projects/ruby-dtrace/wiki

Laurent Sansonetti

Let's try this again (as posting on groups.google.com appeared to
break - so sorry if this has appeared more than once).

Apple have included no ustack helper in Ruby which comes with OSX - so
you have to compile your own.

I have produced a patch for Ruby on OSX and e-mailed the details to
scott at joyent. I hope he's the right person.

It seems that Apple have broken the ability to use the -G parameter on
dtrace. Meaning you can't compile d scripts into linkable objects.
This breaks the patch by the joyent guys. Hence me working out a
solution for it.

I now have it all fully working. If Scott's not the right person - who
should I send it to?

Feel free to report any OSX-related problems at http://bugreporter.apple.com

You can attach files (patches) there.

Thanks,