Mac OS X Leopard Ruby Features

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Gary Wright, Oct 18, 2007.

  1. Gary Wright

    Gary Wright Guest

    From the 300+ New Features list for OS X Leopard:

    > DTrace
    > Monitor virtually any aspect of your application with DTrace,
    > integrated into the Darwin kernel. Java, Ruby, Python, and Perl
    > have also been extended to support DTrace, providing unprecedented
    > access for monitoring the performance characteristics of those
    > languages.
    >
    > Scripting Bridge
    > Use Objective-C, Ruby, and Python programs to automate Mac
    > applications. The new Scripting Bridge enables them to easily
    > generate AppleEvents using a concise, AppleScript-like syntax.
    >
    > Cocoa Bridges
    > Use Ruby and Python as first-class languages for building Cocoa
    > applications, thanks to Objective-C bridges as well as full Xcode
    > and Interface Builder support.

    and as previously announced:

    Gary Wright, Oct 18, 2007

  2. Gary Wright

    John Joyce Guest

    > and as previously announced:
    >
    >> Ruby on Rails
    >> Work in a developer's dreamland. Leopard is the perfect platform
    >> for Ruby on Rails development, with Rails, Mongrel, and Capistrano
    >> built in.

    Yep, and we will see how well it's done, soon enough.
    The big issue I'm concerned about is update/upgrade-ability.
    They did have a lot of close consultation with the Rails Core team,
    so it should be good, but we'll see...

    John Joyce, Oct 18, 2007

  3. On 10/18/07, John Joyce <> wrote:

    > > and as previously announced:
    > >
    > >> Ruby on Rails
    > >> Work in a developer's dreamland. Leopard is the perfect platform
    > >> for Ruby on Rails development, with Rails, Mongrel, and Capistrano
    > >> built in.

    > Yep, and we will see how well it's done, soon enough.
    > The big issue I'm concerned about is update/upgrade-ability.
    > They did have a lot of close consultation with the Rails Core team,
    > so it should be good, but we'll see...

    I hear that gem updates work fine. In addition to rails gems, it comes
    bundled with just about every gem you might need right out of the box.
    I guess I'll be waiting to pick up a box to see the final list.

    What I really want to know is what sort of D-Trace support is there.
    Is it just C and OS probes or have they put something together like
    Joyent [0].

    Brian.

    [0]: https://dtrace.joyent.com/projects/ruby-dtrace/wiki

    Brian Mitchell, Oct 18, 2007
  4. Gary Wright

    Guest

    Let's try this again (as posting on groups.google.com appeared to
    break - so sorry if this has appeared more than once).

    Apple have included no ustack helper in Ruby which comes with OSX - so
    you have to compile your own.

    I have produced a patch for Ruby on OSX and e-mailed the details to
    scott at joyent. I hope he's the right person.

    It seems that Apple have broken the ability to use the -G parameter on
    dtrace. Meaning you can't compile d scripts into linkable objects.
    This breaks the patch by the joyent guys. Hence me working out a
    solution for it.

    I now have it all fully working. If Scott's not the right person - who
    should I send it to?

    On Oct 18, 11:28 pm, "Brian Mitchell" <> wrote:
    > On 10/18/07, John Joyce <> wrote:
    >

    > > > and as previously announced:

    > > Yep, and we will see how well it's done, soon enough.
    > > The big issue I'm concerned about is update/upgrade-ability.
    > > They did have a lot of close consultation with the Rails Core team,
    > > so it should be good, but we'll see...

    > I hear that gem updates work fine. In addition to rails gems, it comes
    > bundled with just about every gem you might need right out of the box.
    > I guess I'll be waiting to pick up a box to see the final list.
    >
    > What I really want to know is what sort of D-Trace support is there.
    > Is it just C and OS probes or have they put something together like
    > Joyent [0].
    >
    > Brian.
    >
    > [0]:https://dtrace.joyent.com/projects/ruby-dtrace/wiki

    , Oct 25, 2007
  5. On 10/25/07, <> wrote:
    > Let's try this again (as posting on groups.google.com appeared to
    > break - so sorry if this has appeared more than once).
    >
    > Apple have included no ustack helper in Ruby which comes with OSX - so
    > you have to compile your own.
    >
    > I have produced a patch for Ruby on OSX and e-mailed the details to
    > scott at joyent. I hope he's the right person.
    >
    > It seems that Apple have broken the ability to use the -G parameter on
    > dtrace. Meaning you can't compile d scripts into linkable objects.
    > This breaks the patch by the joyent guys. Hence me working out a
    > solution for it.
    >
    > I now have it all fully working. If Scott's not the right person - who
    > should I send it to?

    Feel free to report any OSX-related problems at http://bugreporter.apple.com

    You can attach files (patches) there.

    Thanks,