Ruby upgrade in Mac OS X Leopard

Guillermo.Acilu

Hello guys,

I am working with the standard Ruby delivered within Mac OS X Leopard. It
is the version 1.8.6 patch level 111. Is it possible to apply patches? or
do they come with Mac OS X updates? If I should apply them manually up to
which patch level I should go without braking the Ruby environment? Can I
go to 1.9.0?

Thanks in advance for your answer,

Guillermo

Stefan Krüger

Hello guys,

I am working with the standard Ruby delivered within Mac OS X Leopard. It
is the version 1.8.6 patch level 111. Is it possible to apply patches? or
do they come with Mac OS X updates? If I should apply them manually up to
which patch level I should go without braking the Ruby environment? Can I
go to 1.9.0?

Thanks in advance for your answer,

I don't think anybody here will recommend touching apple's ruby version,
as this will get you in trouble sooner or later

If you want/need a more recent version, you should take a look at Fink
or MacPorts.

Hope this helps.

Guillermo.Acilu

Thanks for your answer Stefan.

I am interested in using Ruby 1.9.0. What about JRuby? does it support=20
1.9.0?

Thanks,

Guillermo

From:
Stefan Kr=FCger <[email protected]>
To:
(e-mail address removed) (ruby-talk ML)
Date:
20.06.2008 16:40
Re: Ruby upgrade in Mac OS X Leopard

=20
Hello guys,
=20
I am working with the standard Ruby delivered within Mac OS X Leopard.=20 It=20
is the version 1.8.6 patch level 111. Is it possible to apply patches?=20 or=20
do they come with Mac OS X updates? If I should apply them manually up=20 to=20
which patch level I should go without braking the Ruby environment? Can=20 I=20
go to 1.9.0?
=20
Thanks in advance for your answer,

I don't think anybody here will recommend touching apple's ruby version,=20
as this will get you in trouble sooner or later

If you want/need a more recent version, you should take a look at Fink=20
or MacPorts.

Hope this helps.

Eric Hodel

I am working with the standard Ruby delivered within Mac OS X
Leopard. It
is the version 1.8.6 patch level 111. Is it possible to apply
patches? or
do they come with Mac OS X updates? If I should apply them manually
up to
which patch level I should go without braking the Ruby environment?
Can I
go to 1.9.0?

I would just grab the tarball for 1.9 and run ./configure --program-
suffix=19. You already have all the pieces you need.

Charles Oliver Nutter

Thanks for your answer Stefan.

I am interested in using Ruby 1.9.0. What about JRuby? does it support
1.9.0?

Soon! JRuby 1.1.3 will have a --1.9 flag that allows you to switch
versions. Only a few things work so far, like fibers and IO to IO copying.

- Charlie

Guillermo.Acilu

Good to know it Charlie!

From:
Charles Oliver Nutter <[email protected]>
To:
(e-mail address removed) (ruby-talk ML)
Date:
25.06.2008 00:42