Mail.SmtpMail.Send won't send to one of my addresses

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Nathan Sokalski, Nov 23, 2005.

  1. I have an ASP.NET page that sends a Mail.MailMessage to several email
    addresses (all mine). However, one of the addresses, the one ending in
    @verizon.net, does not seem to be recieving the message even though the
    other addresses are. I know the spelling is correct because I have tried
    sending messages from my other accounts to this address and have recieved
    them successfully. I also do not know of any junkmail filter that would
    delete the emails sent using ASP.NET (I have also looked in the junkmail box
    for this address, and it is empty). The code used to send the emails is as
    follows:

    mailmsg.To = ";"
    Mail.SmtpMail.Send(mailmsg)
    mailmsg.To = ";"
    Mail.SmtpMail.Send(mailmsg)
    mailmsg.To = ";"
    Mail.SmtpMail.Send(mailmsg)

    When this code is run (the mailmsg object is created beforehand) it is
    successfully sent to and
    but is not sent to the verizon address. I do not recieve any errors of any
    kind that I have noticed.
    --
    Nathan Sokalski

    http://www.nathansokalski.com/
    Nathan Sokalski, Nov 23, 2005

  2. Nathan Sokalski

    Terry Olsen Guest

    Are you sending email from a dynamic IP? A lot of domains won't accept
    emails from dynamic ip's. AOL.com is one, and bigpond.au is another.

    It has been my experience that SmtpMail will not tell you whether or not
    the mail is accepted. So you never know if the email made it.

    Terry Olsen, Nov 23, 2005

  3. Nathan Sokalski

    David Lloyd Guest

    Nathan:

    I do not know all the specifics of how your mail system is setup, so I will
    just make some general comments. The SmtpMail class has a static property
    called SmtpServer in which you can set the outgoing SMTP mail server. The
    default for this property is the local SMTP server. If you are behind a
    firewall, the local Smtp server may be prevented from forwarding email
    directly to the Internet. In this case, you could use the SmtpServer
    property to specify a different mail server which does have permission to
    relay messages to the Internet (I believe Microsoft refers to these
    Internet-enabled SMTP servers as "smart hosts"). For example:

    SmtpMail.SmtpServer = "RelayServer.MyDomain.com"

    If that does not solve the issue, maybe you can explain your mail server
    setup in more detail.

    --
    David Lloyd
    MCSD .NET

    This response is supplied "as is" without any representations or warranties.

    David Lloyd, Nov 23, 2005
  4. Nathan Sokalski

    Larry Lard Guest

    Nathan Sokalski wrote:
    > I have an ASP.NET page that sends a Mail.MailMessage to several email
    > addresses (all mine). However, one of the addresses, the one ending in
    > @verizon.net, does not seem to be recieving the message even though the
    > other addresses are. I know the spelling is correct because I have tried
    > sending messages from my other accounts to this address and have recieved
    > them successfully.

    If you are using an SMTP server outside the US you may be running into
    this problem:

    <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/14/verizon_email_block/>

    --
    Larry Lard